Welcome to Gaia! ::

Questionable Prophet

Now I watched all of the first Fullmetal. Great loved it~
But now with brotherhood out, I'm very confused. When it first got talked about I thought it was a sequel for the show.....but when I started watching it...everything felt oddly familiar.
Now I know, what's wrong with that watch it. But I just have to know......Is it the same and just redone?
I just have to know! So I don't sit there and watch it expecting things and don't get it ; w ;

Sparkly Star

Brotherhood is a more faithful retelling of the manga; it also catches up to where the 2003 anime departed from the storyline in a short amount of time (ten to fifteen episodes, if I'm not mistaken). Once you start seeing characters that weren't in the 2003 anime, it becomes vastly different.

Chibi-Pix's Significant Otter

Shady Misfit

23,250 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
As stated above, Brotherhood is actually the manga's story (since when Fullmetal Alchemist first came out, they were nowhere near completing the manga, so they had to come up with a different plot). There will be several things that are vastly similar at the beginning, but once you reach the episode with Greed and his chimeras at The Devil's Nest, that's where things change vastly.
Nothing wrong with either of the answers you have so far, but I'm a nerdy geek and like to spout.

The first anime came out in 2003, and the manga had only been going since 1998 in the Japanese magazines. Ms Arakawa graciously showed the people at the Studio Bones world everything she had, even where she intended to take the story, and they asked if they could take the story in a different direction. If you look closely, you can see tiny differences from the earliest stories, but the first anime really leaps away from the source material by episode 26. From there on, the differences become bigger, but even then, there's a lot in common with the manga.

Anyway, the first anime concluded, got an English dub, released a movie that continued from where the first anime ended the story, and that seemed to be that for a while. Until Studio Bones asked if they could do the series over... but this time, stick to the manga's version more closely. But also, since they had done the series before, they thought it would be best to trim WAY back on the material they'd retread (like the Lior story, their trip to Youswell, and so on). It's not that they're saying that stuff didn't happen; they just figured a lot of their audience for Brotherhood, as most English speaking audiences would come to know it, would have seen the first series, and not need everything repeated.

Because of that, the new stuff, like the people from Xing, enter by episode 15 in Brotherhood. I would also point out that Ms Arakawa has always spoken favourably on both anime versions. And also, since Brotherhood is based on the manga, to keep it fresh for the audience, they mix some events up sometimes, change sequences, without really changing anything fundamental.

And one last thing: there is a Brotherhood movie as well, but unlike "Conqueror of Shamballa", "The Sacred Star of Milos" is set during the action of the Brotherhood series, about around episode 20, as I understand. A number of people, who expected "Star" to be set after the main series got confused by things because of that.

Sorry if that's too long-winded. Have fun! Both series have a lot to offer, and I like them both.

L y k ii o s's Husband

Unsealed Prophet

Yar, It be a remake o' the first series. It goes into much more detail. It also changes in the storyline.
If ye want to see a continuance of the first series, watch FMA: The Conqueror of Shambala.

Fashionable Capitalist

8,750 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
FMA Brotherhood is more closely aligned with the manga storyline. In fact you could actually follow/read along with the manga with the series.

Sparkly Star

Drummer_kidder
Nothing wrong with either of the answers you have so far, but I'm a nerdy geek and like to spout.

The first anime came out in 2003, and the manga had only been going since 1998 in the Japanese magazines. Ms Arakawa graciously showed the people at the Studio Bones world everything she had, even where she intended to take the story, and they asked if they could take the story in a different direction. If you look closely, you can see tiny differences from the earliest stories, but the first anime really leaps away from the source material by episode 26. From there on, the differences become bigger, but even then, there's a lot in common with the manga.

Anyway, the first anime concluded, got an English dub, released a movie that continued from where the first anime ended the story, and that seemed to be that for a while. Until Studio Bones asked if they could do the series over... but this time, stick to the manga's version more closely. But also, since they had done the series before, they thought it would be best to trim WAY back on the material they'd retread (like the Lior story, their trip to Youswell, and so on). It's not that they're saying that stuff didn't happen; they just figured a lot of their audience for Brotherhood, as most English speaking audiences would come to know it, would have seen the first series, and not need everything repeated.

Because of that, the new stuff, like the people from Xing, enter by episode 15 in Brotherhood. I would also point out that Ms Arakawa has always spoken favourably on both anime versions. And also, since Brotherhood is based on the manga, to keep it fresh for the audience, they mix some events up sometimes, change sequences, without really changing anything fundamental.

And one last thing: there is a Brotherhood movie as well, but unlike "Conqueror of Shamballa", "The Sacred Star of Milos" is set during the action of the Brotherhood series, about around episode 20, as I understand. A number of people, who expected "Star" to be set after the main series got confused by things because of that.

Sorry if that's too long-winded. Have fun! Both series have a lot to offer, and I like them both.

I hate to nitpick, but the manga ran originally from 2001 - 2010, not 1998.
iExorcist
Drummer_kidder

Starated in Japan in 1998 with a "pilot".

Sparkly Star

Drummer_kidder
iExorcist
Drummer_kidder

I don't count pilots, so to me, it ran from the aforementioned dates.

Dapper Phantom

9,100 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
Drummer_kidder
iExorcist
Drummer_kidder

if that's true then the series is as old as me XD

6,900 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Generous 100
cheezkake1129
But now with brotherhood out, I'm very confused. When it first got talked about I thought it was a sequel for the show.....but when I started watching it...everything felt oddly familiar.
Now I know, what's wrong with that watch it. But I just have to know......Is it the same and just redone?
I just have to know! So I don't sit there and watch it expecting things and don't get it ; w ;

The first FMA is the original anime with an alternate storyline. FMAB is the animated version of the manga. FMAB follows the manga's storyline, with a few tiny exceptions, like the first episode which had nothing to do with the manga at all. The first anime follows its own storyline that completes with FMA Movie: Conqueror of Shamballa. I read the manga first, so the anime made no sense untill I understood what was going on.

18,825 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hunter 50
  • Team Edward 100
cheezkake1129

Brotherhood is based completely on the manga while normal FMA anime just has the same characters and a slightly similar plot.
FMA Brotherhood is a re-telling of the story...

based on the original manga. If you read the manga, it might make more sense.
Normal full metal alchemist was created because the manga wasnt completed yet so they just made it but full metal alchemist brotherhood was created after the manga was finished so it goes more into the story and answers the question that are left unanswered in full metal alchemist.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff