Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dedicated Hunter

7,400 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I just saw the first movie and I was very pleased with it. I had heard before the with the parallel universe people didn't like it but I very much enjoyed that portion of the film because it lets me further hope that I can be on the other side of the gate using my alchemy with Mustang and Armstrong. Also his sister was way hot no matter how strong she was, but she also wouldn't go for me due to my lack of muscle.

Heart Phantom

10,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Wintersday Bard 50
You're muscle are perfect.

Anyways, I think the reason why some people do not like the parerell universe idea is because the show is set in a world completely different than our and rather than making the other universe different from our own, they made us instead. Some see it lazy, others like the idea. Then again, this is what I've been told the reason they do not like the movie.

Also Edward is hotter.

High-functioning Canine

9,300 Points
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Hygienic 200
Canucks_1988
I just saw the first movie and I was very pleased with it. I had heard before the with the parallel universe people didn't like it but I very much enjoyed that portion of the film because it lets me further hope that I can be on the other side of the gate using my alchemy with Mustang and Armstrong. Also his sister was way hot no matter how strong she was, but she also wouldn't go for me due to my lack of muscle.

Canucks? As in Vancouver Canucks? Wow...neat to see THAT one! But you poor, misguided child...Flyers, my friend, Flyers. mrgreen

Anyway, first movie, yes, quite good, worth the price of admission. Second one, skip it...you won't miss it. Same w/animes. First one, perfect, done fantastically. FMAB...egads...where to begin?

Sorry FMAB lovers, this thing was a nonsensical waste. Spent nearly 2 days watching the whole thing, just to say I DID see it and possibly understand what all the hype was about, and, to this day, I STILL want those 2 days of my life back. I felt like Alice Cooper sitting in a recent 'horror' flick (name withheld by him as well to protect the innocent) and I more or less quote...

"Well...this can't get any worse...Oh, wait, wait...now there's more blood (and zombies in FMAB??), yeah...it CAN get worse..."
EdoElric296
Canucks_1988

Canucks? As in Vancouver Canucks? Wow...neat to see THAT one! But you poor, misguided child...Flyers, my friend, Flyers. mrgreen

Anyway, first movie, yes, quite good, worth the price of admission. Second one, skip it...you won't miss it. Same w/animes. First one, perfect, done fantastically. FMAB...egads...where to begin?

Sorry FMAB lovers, this thing was a nonsensical waste. Spent nearly 2 days watching the whole thing, just to say I DID see it and possibly understand what all the hype was about, and, to this day, I STILL want those 2 days of my life back. I felt like Alice Cooper sitting in a recent 'horror' flick (name withheld by him as well to protect the innocent) and I more or less quote...

"Well...this can't get any worse...Oh, wait, wait...now there's more blood (and zombies in FMAB??), yeah...it CAN get worse..."

And I'm sorry that you hate Brotherhood so much. My main problem with the 2003 version, although it has a lot, a whole lot, a great heaping pile of lot of good... is that in that version, alchemy is inherently evil. Always.

Don't believe me? Go back to the episode where (SPOILING AHOY, in case you haven't got to this) Hohenheim and Ed are in "our world", and Hohenheim explains that "our world" has lots and lots of death, and it is all of these deaths that provide the energy used in Amestris and the world it is in for their alchemy. So any alchemy in that world is fueled by death.

I'll take the zombies, a super-hot Ed, and even Al pairing up with... well, that part isn't really writ in stone, is it? Cause the alchemy, for the most part, is fueled by either tectonic shifts or by "the Dragon's Pulse". NOT DEATH.

High-functioning Canine

9,300 Points
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Hygienic 200
Drummer_kidder

And I'm sorry that you hate Brotherhood so much. My main problem with the 2003 version, although it has a lot, a whole lot, a great heaping pile of lot of good... is that in that version, alchemy is inherently evil. Always.

Don't believe me? Go back to the episode where (SPOILING AHOY, in case you haven't got to this) Hohenheim and Ed are in "our world", and Hohenheim explains that "our world" has lots and lots of death, and it is all of these deaths that provide the energy used in Amestris and the world it is in for their alchemy. So any alchemy in that world is fueled by death.

I'll take the zombies, a super-hot Ed, and even Al pairing up with... well, that part isn't really writ in stone, is it? Cause the alchemy, for the most part, is fueled by either tectonic shifts or by "the Dragon's Pulse". NOT DEATH.

Never said I 'hated' it, just didn't find it nearly as good as the first. But, to each his own.

As far as your argument re: alchemy being 'evil', what Hoho is actually referring to is The Three Laws of Thermodynamics, also known as the Principles of Energy. Guess I'm too much of a geek, I enjoyed the fact that somebody may have actually bothered to do some research and find a viable, scientific reason to explain their ideas.

The first law of thermodynamics, also called conservation of energy, states that the total amount of energy in the universe (or system) is constant. This means that all of the energy has to end up somewhere, either in the original form or in a different form (i.e. kinetic or potential or other forms). It cannot be destroyed, only changed into another form. We can use this knowledge to determine the amount of energy in a system.

Everything organic dies, there's just no way of getting around that. But the energy contained in said organic is not lost. It has to end up somewhere. So, according to the first principle and the fact established in the series that the two 'worlds' are linked, Edo and cohorts simply use that energy and change it into another form. The whole idea of the circle makes sense!

Plus, the whole bit with Edo and Winry just creeps me out. Sorry, having had a close friend of opposite sex when I was a kid like that...and to think about a possible 'love' relationship with said friend...*cringe!*...Um...no...that'd be like dating your sister!

But, hey, enjoy 'em both!
Wow, so much hate... I love it!

I actually liked the 2003 version, as in the beginning it did still follow the manga to establish key points, but it sort of toned down the darkness. I liked the fact that the entire time Ed is looking for answers, they are literally in front of him in the form of his past. Can't get any more specifix without spoiling anything.

I also like CoS and the way it tied up all the loose ends from the series. I'm also a huge history fan, so I found the link to that particular event was brilliant. It was obviously a stretch, but given the Thule is a bit odd, we can overlook that. A lot of people don't like how it ended, but I found it realistic.

Now that being said, I don't necessarily hate Brotherhood, it's just not my favorite. I've read the manga and I know it's a very close adaptation, but it gets very dark and hard to follow at times. The science thing is sound in theory and looks beautiful. It does have great art though. Too bad Aaron Dismuke couldn't play Al again, you could tell the other actor was a girl. And I agree about the whole Ed and Winry thing. If you've seen each other in diapers, you shouldn't be dating.

As for Star of Milos, that was just bad. Bad! I saw it at the funimation premier at Sakuracon and I remember thinking "WTF is this!?" And I was dressed as a femEd, so I am open to WTF-ery! It got so needlessly dark and gorey. If the philosopher's stone is so rare, how come everybody but Ed and Al have two? Just bad in my opinion.

Canucks rule.
Whenever it comes to the "original vs brotherhood" debate, I usually try to take a neutral stand haha.
Honestly, I take each series as its own; the original is set apart in my preferences compared to brotherhood and vice-versa.
I like the original because of how it was different from brotherhood; the Shamballa movie was a fitting end in my opinion. It picked up where the series ended and tied up ends a little better (but not completely)
Brotherhood offers actual closure that goes along with the manga

All in all I love this series haha

Genius

3,400 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Guildmember 100
******** this movie made me so ******** mad urgh

Dedicated Collector

24,750 Points
  • Professional Decorator 250
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Skilled Decorator 100
I think the parallel universe idea was really cool and I love the '03 series, but this movie's major weakness was that it tried to create a completely new central conflict with (lousy) new characters and resolve it in 2 hours while still tying up loose ends from the series. It was just way too ambitious. FMA's strength is the way it tells a story that gradually increases in complexity over a long period of time, so ending it with a movie was a terrible idea and a really obvious cash grab. The main conflict from the series was already resolved, so the movie just feels like an afterthought that needlessly drags out the finale in a manner that's far inferior in quality to the series. There's no suspense or shocking revelations, it's just these crazy villains who some along and start blowing everything up because they can.

It did wrap up Ed and Al's story in a satisfying manner (to me anyway), but that could have easily been written into the main series with an extra episode or two. Or hell, even 5 minutes. "Ed and Al close the portal and go into our world, the end". That's really all the movie ultimately accomplishes, because the new characters were completely forgettable.

Anyway, I don't think it was terrible, but it wasn't that great either.

The Milos movie was okay, but it's a completely standalone work that doesn't fit into the timeline of either series. Fine for watching on a rainy day, but ultimately another cash grab and contributes nothing to the story though has some reasonably entertaining action sequences.

Lucky Star

12,750 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
My goodness. Is this ,for the most part, a reasonable discussion in the Full Metal Alchemist thread? I am proud of you guys.

Personally, I enjoyed both series and the CoS film. Unfortunately, I have yet to see this Milos film.
I ******** hated that movie so much. I hated Noah cuz she reminded me of pathetic Rose. Ugh. And I hated the ending! And it was just boring in general.

And EdWin didn't happen...I thought they would finally kiss!

Space Genius

In my opinion CoS is boring, but it has great animation style. The end is a little weird, but at least not over-cute and romantic.
User Image
I must say I did indeed like the movie, Conqueror of Shamballa. Though i do say, I was very saddened that Ed and Al had
to get stuck in our world, losing contact with a lot of friends and loved ones in Amestris
. But other than that, I did enjoy how emotional it all was.

Must say though, I like FMA: Brother hood, just a bit better. Sticks to story from manga (least I hear) and you see more places, more people, LING! Lol, I have yet to see the movie that came out after that though. Since it didn't seem like it was going to continue the story, just being a side story, like the video games; I have yet to watch it even though I bought it on DVD months ago. sweatdrop
Though, still I love the original for all its own perks, more seriousness, more emotion felt over Hughes, etc. Not big fan of the ending though, that's all.
User Image

Devoted Miko

Is it bad that the parallel world aspect of the 2003 series was one of my favorite parts? emo

The fact that Edward accidentally killed his doppelganger, and the fact that the double was fully consious during the entire time Edward was in his body... it made me cry... so much. I actually had to explain to my brother, who missed that bit because it was so short.
I keep seeing this sentiment that Conqueror of Shamballa was boring. I just. I don't understand. It's so gorgeous and explores so many awesome things. I was so happy to have my favorite characters there, all that beautiful emotional conflict, how was there time to be bored?!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff