Welcome to Gaia! ::

6,750 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
I like the first FMA anime.
I still love the first fma no matter what heart
You are DEFINITELY not the only one who still like the first FMA anime. I was just having this discussion with my bestie last night, on account of we watched the whole first season of Brotherhood together (and are both gigantic FMA nerds who would text each other SPAZZING when the last chapters of the manga were coming out).

I think the one difference between the two series that I just can't seem to get over is the visual aspect. I mean, the differences between the plot, the characters, and the antagonists' role in the story can be attributed to a huge pile of different things: the manga wasn't finished yet when the anime was being made and they just had to make s**t up as they went along, and the people who made the anime made different stylistic choices than Arakawa herself would have made when portraying the characters. But this stuff isn't uncommon among anime adaptions to manga. The fact that Brotherhood is an almost EXACT reproduction of the manga is actually more UNCOMMON to find in anime than otherwise.

But again, I return to the visual aspect. I like the anime in Brotherhood, don't get me wrong. It's not ugly by any means. In fact it's quite skillfull. But the animation, the art quality in the first one...oh my GOD. It's a ******** EYEGASM. I just...I've never even HEARD of an anime with as much attention to detail, with as much stylistic DRAMA as the first FMA series. Just watch the first two episodes of the first series, then watch the third episode of Brotherhood, back to back, and you'll see what I mean. Ohmygod. Ohmygod. I still get gleefits of Art Whore whenever I watch the first series. Never gets old, man. Never. Gets. Old.

Allow me to conclude by saying that while I recognize the strengths and weaknesses of both animes, I am a MASSIVE FMA nerd (I mean ********' duh, look at the account I'm posting from), and love both series and the manga equally. And always will. It was the anime that got me INTO anime (yes, I watched DBZ and Sailor Moon on Toonami, but at the time didn't really register that they were ANIME, you know?). It was also a series that boosted my inspiration, and thus by CONSTANT PRACTICE my ability, to write--which is my primary passion in life. I owe a lot to FMA.

So yeah. Haters, they gonna hate.
I have to say i like the first series a lot, parts of it were better than brotherhood, yet parts of brotherhood i liked more, both have an original story line and deserve credit either way, its more than you can say about new anime nowadays.
Both shows are amazing and so is the manga

Desirable Gawker

Masako Uchiha
Manlyskittles
hmmmmmm i cant say which one i like better, theyre pretty even in my book.

I liked Brotherhood, but the ending was kind of meh to me.

I'm pretty sad that the first gets so much hate now.

Man its the exact opposite for me... I like the original, but I HATED the ending to it... The whole thing about them going through the portal and ending up in nazi germany just seemed a little weird... Then the ending to the conquerer of shambala when ed and al both go back to close up the gate just made me hate it... I like the whole edxwin thing and I thought the ending to Brotherhood was a much happier much more badass ending. Just saying tho. Everyone has their opinions so whatever they were both great animes. I actually watched the original first so I hated Brotherhood until I read the manga and noticed that brotherhood was actually following the manga which was the original story, but the original FMA did a horrible job following it.

Swashbuckling Humorist

14,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
I like 'em all, though I ******** hated the movie since it ******** over Hawkeye. I preferred the TV ending, though it made me feel bad for Winry and Al.

Arakawa herself approved of what they did with the first anime's ending so I don't know how people can still hate it. I like the manga best, but I guess in many case's I prefer the first anime over Brotherhood.

Oh, and I disagree that it started the animation boom. Evangelion started it. If anything FMA was at the end of it, since the anime bubble in the US burst a few years after.

Greedy Raider

5,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Consumer 100
This Sin Is Envy
You are DEFINITELY not the only one who still like the first FMA anime. I was just having this discussion with my bestie last night, on account of we watched the whole first season of Brotherhood together (and are both gigantic FMA nerds who would text each other SPAZZING when the last chapters of the manga were coming out).

I think the one difference between the two series that I just can't seem to get over is the visual aspect. I mean, the differences between the plot, the characters, and the antagonists' role in the story can be attributed to a huge pile of different things: the manga wasn't finished yet when the anime was being made and they just had to make s**t up as they went along, and the people who made the anime made different stylistic choices than Arakawa herself would have made when portraying the characters. But this stuff isn't uncommon among anime adaptions to manga. The fact that Brotherhood is an almost EXACT reproduction of the manga is actually more UNCOMMON to find in anime than otherwise.

But again, I return to the visual aspect. I like the anime in Brotherhood, don't get me wrong. It's not ugly by any means. In fact it's quite skillfull. But the animation, the art quality in the first one...oh my GOD. It's a ******** EYEGASM. I just...I've never even HEARD of an anime with as much attention to detail, with as much stylistic DRAMA as the first FMA series. Just watch the first two episodes of the first series, then watch the third episode of Brotherhood, back to back, and you'll see what I mean. Ohmygod. Ohmygod. I still get gleefits of Art Whore whenever I watch the first series. Never gets old, man. Never. Gets. Old.

Allow me to conclude by saying that while I recognize the strengths and weaknesses of both animes, I am a MASSIVE FMA nerd (I mean ********' duh, look at the account I'm posting from), and love both series and the manga equally. And always will. It was the anime that got me INTO anime (yes, I watched DBZ and Sailor Moon on Toonami, but at the time didn't really register that they were ANIME, you know?). It was also a series that boosted my inspiration, and thus by CONSTANT PRACTICE my ability, to write--which is my primary passion in life. I owe a lot to FMA.

So yeah. Haters, they gonna hate.

Kudos. I hope people don't misunderstand me; I liked Brotherhood/the manga, FMAB follows the manga in every aspect and the manga has my respect for being the original and that stuff, but the ending was too soft for me (WTF with beating GOD. You need more than that, Ed. A punch is not enough.). Both the original and Brotherhood have their strong and weak points, but I can't stand people who hates the first when it was Arakawa who approved the changes since the manga wasn't even cclose to finish.

The first series got me into anime, and hell yes, the art style of the first one is beautiful.

Greedy Raider

5,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Consumer 100
NyteSama
Masako Uchiha
NyteSama
I enjoyed it, and still enjoy it.
Brotherhood, and the manga, were really.... weak in their endings by comparison.

I'm with you, dude. The manga/Brotherhood was going so well and then... That ending.

I still enjoy it and re-watch my DVDs. Man, I miss cynical Ed.

Yeah, I was.... really disappointed that it all boiled down to a happily-ever-after sort of ending... It killed the series for me.

Not saying the first anime wasnt without its flaws either, but I felt the ending and overall tone was much much stronger.

Are you me? Or are you reading my mind?

I'm dissapointed with the manga's ending too. I hate happily-ever-after endings because they usually left things like that, all happy-go-lucky. It didn't killed the series for me, but it really let me down. Happy endings bring me down (and I'll admit I don't like Winry, this may have something to do). It hurts me that Ed can't do alchemy anymore.

Yeah, the first anime and movie's ending was stronger, and hell the ovas were fun.

Greedy Raider

5,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Consumer 100
Anne Packrat
I like 'em all, though I ******** hated the movie since it ******** over Hawkeye. I preferred the TV ending, though it made me feel bad for Winry and Al.

Arakawa herself approved of what they did with the first anime's ending so I don't know how people can still hate it. I like the manga best, but I guess in many case's I prefer the first anime over Brotherhood.

Oh, and I disagree that it started the animation boom. Evangelion started it. If anything FMA was at the end of it, since the anime bubble in the US burst a few years after.

Thumbs up.

Dangerous Hunter

2,750 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100

Greedy Raider

5,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Consumer 100
DinkyPuff
There's a few things I liked better with Brotherhood than with the original. The details on the world at large and deeper insight on Hoho papa and various other characters. (Havok's family owns a store. Hawkeye has a grandfather. Hoho was a slave!) The first anime didn't have those things.

But I still like the first one better.

It was interesting to see Ed discover how alike his dad and him were. It makes you think about the psyche of mankind. Is the things we do a result of genetics or our environment? Look at Ed, he ended up unconsciously following in his dad's footsteps and tried to bring someone back from the dead. He came up with the same array to make a Stone and both sacrificed themselves for the sake of family.
There was also deeper emotions portrayed in the homunculi. They're not mindless henchmen who obey some dude stuck in a chair like in Brotherhood. These guys have pasts and desires too. They all rebel in some way and that's what makes them more lifelike. More memorable in my opinion.

That's what I love of the first anime. Brotherhood has its strong points as you say (more backstory for other characters, follows the manga and bla bla), but I really liked the portraying of Homnuculi in the first anime and the Elric brother's general screwed up psyche (especially Ed).

Greedy Raider

5,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Consumer 100
wakergirl
I agree. When Brotherhood came out everyone of my friends told me to watch it and as soon as I said I liked the first anime better all I got was a "What! Why? This one relates better to the manga!" Yea... Honestly I like both but the first one will always be better to me.

Greedy Raider

5,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Consumer 100
Envious Sin Envy
I do like Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, admittedly. But I haven't seen the originally made Fullmetal Alchemist and would very much like to. I find it sounds pretty interesting and does have different aspects from Brotherhood from what I've read up on it.

You should watch it. It's only 52 episodes of epicness.
I haven't watched the Brotherhood, but FMA is still one of my fav. animes. The one thing I didn't like was that it ended in a movie. I hope to be able to watch the brotherhood when I get the time to.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff