Welcome to Gaia! ::

Please put in a vote for the Best Dressed contest!

entries may be viewed on the first page at the bottom 0.27272727272727 27.3% [ 6 ]
& check out nonny's thread: http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/t.93080485/ 0.18181818181818 18.2% [ 4 ]
<3 0.54545454545455 54.5% [ 12 ]
Total Votes:[ 22 ]

Sparkly Girl

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Hello! And welcome to our annual-ish Tanabata party!
I say annual-ish because this is a party theme that I've always wanted to do yearly... but laziness always got the better of me. But I'm aiming to make this a tradition starting this year! The first time we had a Tanabata party was on July 7th, 2011. Three years ago! It was one of the first parties I've ever hosted for WGers and it was so much fun. I hope that this year we will have even more fun!!

July 10th, 2014
Voting is now open for the Best Dressed contest! Please submit your votes via PM or by quoting me in the thread. We have a lot of entrants so it would be appreciated if you could take a few minutes to look over their entries (at the bottom of this page) to place a vote. Thank you guys so much! Reminder that the winner will be announced at the party.

Nonny would also like you guys to know that he's currently looking for WGers to join him in his game, Tomodachi Life. For more information, see his thread!

Sparkly Girl

The folk tale behind Tanabata.

Tanabata, meaning "Night of The Seventh", is a Japanese star festival celebrating the union of two lovers: Orihime and Hikoboshi, whom are represented by the stars Vega and Altair.

Orihime, the daughter of the Sky King, wove beautiful clothes that her father loved. And so to make her father happy, she worked tirelessly everyday to weave for him. However, her work made her lonely, so her father arranged for her to meet with Hikoboshi, a cow herder who lived on the other side of the Milky Way. They fell in love instantly and became husband and wife. But after their marriage, they began to neglect their duties: Orihime no longer weaved cloth and Hikoboshi's cows strayed all over the Heavens.

Angered, the Sky King sends Hikoboshi back across the Milky Way and forbids either of them to see each other. Distraught with her father's decision, Orihime pleads for him to let them meet again. Moved by his daughter's tears, the Sky King allows Orihime to meet with her husband once a year on the 7th day of the 7th month if she worked hard and finished her weaving.

The first time the lovers tried to meet, they realized that they were not able to cross the Milky Way because there was no bridge. But a flock of magpies, sympathetic to the couple's plight, promises to make a bridge for them every year with their wings so that they may reunite. However, if the weather is foul and unfavorable, the magpies cannot fly and the lovers must wait another year to meet.

How Tanabata is celebrated in modern day Japan.

Tanabata festivals generally last a few days to a week in early July. During this time, the streets are decorated with colorful streamers and various stalls are set up to sell food and various merchandise. People also wear yukatas (casual kimonos for summer) and write wishes on pieces of colored paper to hang them from bamboo trees. After the festival, the bamboo trees are burned or set afloat into the river--similar to the Bon festival where floating paper lanterns down the river signifies the departure of spirits.

This party is for WGers only.

Invitations will be sent out by me! However, feel free to just ask me for an invite if you're a WGer and you'd like to go!

Please be courteous and respectful of your fellow WGers.

If I find your behavior rude and unbecoming, you will not be allowed to participate in future WGmon events.

The party theme is Japanese Summer Festival.

Anything from kimonos to yukatas to misc. Japanese and Asian clothing are acceptable to wear to the party.
Have fun with your look! Though I'd like you guys to stay within the "festival" theme at least!

The party will take place in Towns on July 13th, 2014 at 10:00am (PST).

HERE IS A LIVE COUNTDOWN TO THE DAY OF THE PARTY.
And to repeat, it will be in Towns. Not Towns 2! Just Towns. I'll post the address and location of the party when it starts.

If you have any questions about the party, please ask me!

I'll be happy to answer or clarify anything you're concerned about.

Sparkly Girl

Hello! And welcome to the contest section.
I hope to see many of you participate and have fun with what I have to offer!

Best Dressed

[EDIT]
Because of the overwhelming amount of entries,
I've decided to have three winners instead of just one!

Will you be the best dressed WGer at the party? Let's find out!
To enter, just submit the avatar you will be wearing to the party!
Which means no TekTeks or inventory searching
Just items YOU own. You're the star!
Your outfit must also fit the theme of the party.

1st place will receive the following set of items inspired by the story of Orihime and Hikoboshi.

User Image User Image User Image User Image

2nd place will receive a set of items fit for a romantic wedding ceremony.

User Image User Image User Image

3rd place will receive a set of items on a... modern day Orihime and Hikoboshi?? (I wish)

User Image User Image

One entry per person.
The deadline to enter is July 9th. PM me or quote me in the thread with your entry!
Voting will be open to everyone in the thread starting July 10th and end on July 12th.
My judges Majikina, Keiric, Ficchu, Holy Slayer and I will make the final votes and announce the winner at the party--so it would be great if each contestant could come to hear the results! You won't be penalized for not showing up but we will be very, very sad. /stares longingly

Current entries.
Voting is open until July 12th! PM me or quote me with your vote.
Contestants may vote for anyone but themselves.

by Crystoph Shan

----------------

by Lyeisander

----------------

by Riyoyo

----------------

by Soundless Servant

----------------

by kefkadragon

----------------

by GLJordan

----------------

by Dark Endeavor

----------------

by Clueit

----------------

by Cafe au Chocolat

----------------

by Aon the Almighty

----------------

by Maze

----------------

by 13th Misfortune Cookie

----------------

by cyazlars

----------------

by Moth Cat

----------------

by Rock_hard_yo

----------------

by Skadi Sundermount

----------------

by NiChangelo

----------------

by ferchitocontri

----------------

by Mathew Mii

----------------

by xPurebloodxAkirax

Quote:
After being in the human world for over a year, Akira thought she had a good understanding of the this world. But then a good friend of hers invites her to a festival. Her very first one! Humans always find a way to surprise her! The special activities and foods...Akira had managed to shoot and win a stuffed bunny on her first try and had tried this strange food called dango. Akira wasn't confident that she fully comprehended the point of these festivals, but she managed to have a lot of fun regardless!

Quote Me

This is a quoting game!
Anytime you see me post any of these goldfish in the thread: User ImageUser ImageUser Image Quote me!
The first person to quote me wins an instant 5m. You can win multiple times! So catch those fishes.

But! If you quote me when I post an onigiri: User Image
You'll have your pick of one of the items below!
Thanks to Keiric for donating some of his items!

User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image

User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image

User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image

The following items have already been claimed by some lucky winners!

User Image - Mathew Mii
User Image - Elrom
User Image - Ficchu
User Image - Cafe au Chocolat
User Image - kefkadragon
User Image - Karill
User Image User Image - Maze
User Image User Image - Majikina
User Image - Avril Dizzy Ocho
User Image - Aon the Almighty

Quick Reply

Submit