We are 1337.

Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:16 pm 1 100.0% [ 1141 ]
Total Votes:[ 1141 ]

Shameless Nerd

13,600 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Nerd 50
  • Signature Look 250
With some I just view them as gold that takes up inventory spae, the rest I'm like, I will never use you but I can not imagine getting rid of you, ever. So they stay in my inventory.

Been awhile since I watched a Miyazaki film.

And yes, more life in this thread is amazing. Needs more.
And I want to be done with school, but tempted to go back for an anthropology degree.

8,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
DanieBarton03
mrgreen More life in this thread! *celebrates*

@Catherine: I'm so jealous you get to see the new Miyazaki film. I can't wait for it to come locally.

@Akasha: It's even hard for me to part with all the junk items I have.

@All: I hope your Christmas was great and sorry you both have school. I really miss being a student and can't wait to look into Graduate/Law schools. Time to head back to work.

I watched Arrietty today, and it's amazing. I wont spoil it, but there are a few culture scenes that may confuse people, but it's aimed towards children so they may not notice, but I sure did. Counting on your fingers is different in Japan, rather then using both hands they use one and they start with the thumb as 1, index 2, middle 3, ect so the pinky is 5.(now your hand is like a fist) and then instead of switching to the other hand, you then reopen it with the pinky being 6 and the thumb ending in 10.(Hope I explained that the best I could over the internet) That's in the film. There's also bento supplies if you catch that too, those little cheap fish soy sauce bottles, ha ha.

Even if it's dubbed go see go see!! I used to read The Littles when I was little, and it's very similar. I think there's also a film called the Barrowers, and I could be wrong but they're very similar. (Just like Ponyo is like the Little Mermaid) I haven't seen it dubbed, but even after I've seen the original I'm still excited to go see it dubbed.

I wanted to go see HP in Spanish when I was in Mexico(Hermasillo, Sonora), but I didn't get to (Gaia's take a picture of your name contest was going on then, but I didn't get a chance to upload the pictures before it closed. sad Oh well.) I would love to go see a movie in Japan. One day... 3nodding

EDIT:
Disney channel stars did the voice overs for the dubbed version...surprise. Justin from Wizards, and Teddy from Goodluck Charlie. Not sure how that will go...

The voice overs for Tortoro (Dakota Fanning and her sister, annoy me I can't listen to that rubbish, couldn't even make it half way through the dubbed version.)

IRL Conventioneer

11,500 Points
  • PvP 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
RiverMist20
DJ Helsing
RiverMist20
DJ Helsing
Just wanted to stop by and say hi!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Hello! I am great, thank you for asking! Getting ready to shove off for work, actually, and ask how their weiner roast went last night since I couldn't attend.

And how are you doing today, DJ?

Edit: Oh, and I have another question for you if you aren't too busy to answer. smile

what's your second question?

Gosh darn, I'm so sorry... I don't remember what it was anymore. gonk I know it had something to do with offline events...

OH! I remember now! sweatdrop When do you think you'll be coming back to Columbus, Ohio? Or do you have any idea at all? I know it probably takes a lot of time and effort to plan something like this.

Were going to Ohio Con in January!

Eloquent Elder

Catherine
DanieBarton03
@Catherine: I'm so jealous you get to see the new Miyazaki film. I can't wait for it to come locally.

I watched Arrietty today, and it's amazing. I wont spoil it, but there are a few culture scenes that may confuse people, but it's aimed towards children so they may not notice, but I sure did. Counting on your fingers is different in Japan, rather then using both hands they use one and they start with the thumb as 1, index 2, middle 3, ect so the pinky is 5.(now your hand is like a fist) and then instead of switching to the other hand, you then reopen it with the pinky being 6 and the thumb ending in 10.(Hope I explained that the best I could over the internet) That's in the film. There's also bento supplies if you catch that too, those little cheap fish soy sauce bottles, ha ha.

Even if it's dubbed go see go see!! I used to read The Littles when I was little, and it's very similar. I think there's also a film called the Barrowers, and I could be wrong but they're very similar. (Just like Ponyo is like the Little Mermaid) I haven't seen it dubbed, but even after I've seen the original I'm still excited to go see it dubbed.

I wanted to go see HP in Spanish when I was in Mexico(Hermasillo, Sonora), but I didn't get to (Gaia's take a picture of your name contest was going on then, but I didn't get a chance to upload the pictures before it closed. sad Oh well.) I would love to go see a movie in Japan. One day... 3nodding

EDIT:
Disney channel stars did the voice overs for the dubbed version...surprise. Justin from Wizards, and Teddy from Goodluck Charlie. Not sure how that will go...

The voice overs for Tortoro (Dakota Fanning and her sister, annoy me I can't listen to that rubbish, couldn't even make it half way through the dubbed version.)
I'm glad it was good. I love Miyazaki's art style. The subtle cultural things don't really bother me. I've taken quite a few Japanese cultural classes and love looking up new information. How was the music? I'm sad that Joe Hisaishi wasn't the composer.

I've never read "The Littles" nor seen the "Borrowers" movie, but I love the story idea (grew up watching Thumbelina and similar stories/movies).

Seeing movies in other languages is pretty cool. I remember seeing Beauty and the Beast in French and Spanish as a kid. I don't know if I would want to wasted my time watching a movie in Japan. Maybe if I was staying for an extended period of time, like a year or so...

Ugh! I figured Disney was going to cast their stars for the film. At least David Henrie and What's Her Name's voices aren't as high-pitched. I really disliked Ponyo's dub (wasn't a fan of the film in general, though). I'll still probably go see it in theaters if it's showing not too far away. So excited.

Shameless Nerd

13,600 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Nerd 50
  • Signature Look 250
I still need to watch Totoro.

Eloquent Elder

I hardly remember Totoro. I just watched Howl again the other day. Maybe it's time for another Miyazaki marathon.

8,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
DanieBarton03
Catherine
DanieBarton03

EDIT:

I'm glad it was good. I love Miyazaki's art style. The subtle cultural things don't really bother me. I've taken quite a few Japanese cultural classes and love looking up new information. How was the music? I'm sad that Joe Hisaishi wasn't the composer.

I've never read "The Littles" nor seen the "Borrowers" movie, but I love the story idea (grew up watching Thumbelina and similar stories/movies).

Seeing movies in other languages is pretty cool. I remember seeing Beauty and the Beast in French and Spanish as a kid. I don't know if I would want to wasted my time watching a movie in Japan. Maybe if I was staying for an extended period of time, like a year or so...

Ugh! I figured Disney was going to cast their stars for the film. At least David Henrie and What's Her Name's voices aren't as high-pitched. I really disliked Ponyo's dub (wasn't a fan of the film in general, though). I'll still probably go see it in theaters if it's showing not too far away. So excited.

Rather long, and about Disney too, not just Miyazaki.

Awe, I like Ponyo, but I just like with any dubbed film/book the original is always better.

I thought the music was good, I was surprised to hear that the opening song Arrietty's Song was in English. It still was beautiful, and I thought it fit the film well. I'm dying to see the dubbed version now to see what they changed/added.

When I was in middle school I had a student exchange student come over from Japan, and we're still in contact, very good friends. I was suppose to go and visit her, but it never happened because we moved. My mom didn't want me going alone, and she didn't want to go with me. It was I went with the school or bust. I never went. Still waiting to go, and it's not an age issue now it's a health issue. Her name's Natsuko and she would let me stay with her, and I'm looking sooo forward to it. I also have extended family on my cousin's side that would love to see me.

I used to be all excited in Spanish when we watched Disney in Spanish, and I still watch them in Spanish even though I'm not taking Spanish. (MX gets Anime sooner then America. I was sick down there once confined to the sofa and I was soo excited when Ojamajo Doremi was on the Saturday morning cartoons. We have a house in MX and so we're there a lot.) I was excited to watch Nemo in Biology too.

I have all but 10 Disney movies, all on DVD. I know Thumbelina isn't Disney, but I didn't care for that film when I was little. I don't know if I would like it now. I can always tell if it's Disney from the way it's drawn( Pixar is different, but I know when it's Pixar too) and I think that's why I never cared for it. Hmm.. same with Anastasia, it's not Disney. I don't care for Dreamworks, their animation is alright but they're plot lines are just stupid. They've seemed to exploded on the media market, but I don't like them; they're vulgar.

Howl's Moving Castle was on about a month ago at 1 in the morning.. I hadn't seen it before, but I saw about half of the dubbed and it was alright. I had to go to bed because I had school the next day so I didn't see all of it.

Eloquent Elder

Catherine
DanieBarton03
Catherine

EDIT:

Awe, I like Ponyo, but I just like with any dubbed film/book the original is always better.

I thought the music was good, I was surprised to hear that the opening song Arrietty's Song was in English. It still was beautiful, and I thought it fit the film well. I'm dying to see the dubbed version now to see what they changed/added.

When I was in middle school I had a student exchange student come over from Japan, and we're still in contact, very good friends. I was suppose to go and visit her, but it never happened because we moved. My mom didn't want me going alone, and she didn't want to go with me. It was I went with the school or bust. I never went. Still waiting to go, and it's not an age issue now it's a health issue. Her name's Natsuko and she would let me stay with her, and I'm looking sooo forward to it. I also have extended family on my cousin's side that would love to see me.

I used to be all excited in Spanish when we watched Disney in Spanish, and I still watch them in Spanish even though I'm not taking Spanish. (MX gets Anime sooner then America. I was sick down there once confined to the sofa and I was soo excited when Ojamajo Doremi was on the Saturday morning cartoons. We have a house in MX and so we're there a lot.) I was excited to watch Nemo in Biology too.

I have all but 10 Disney movies, all on DVD. I know Thumbelina isn't Disney, but I didn't care for that film when I was little. I don't know if I would like it now. I can always tell if it's Disney from the way it's drawn( Pixar is different, but I know when it's Pixar too) and I think that's why I never cared for it. Hmm.. same with Anastasia, it's not Disney. I don't care for Dreamworks, their animation is alright but they're plot lines are just stupid. They've seemed to exploded on the media market, but I don't like them; they're vulgar.

Howl's Moving Castle was on about a month ago at 1 in the morning.. I hadn't seen it before, but I saw about half of the dubbed and it was alright. I had to go to bed because I had school the next day so I didn't see all of it.
When you say all the Disney movies, do you mean the cartoons? The majority of my collection is on VHS because DVDs didn't exist yet. The newer stuff I get as DVDs and a few of my favorite classics (when I have the money). My sister and I grew up with both the Disney films, Don Bluth, and other company (FOX, DreamWorks, etc) films so they're all nostalgic and special to us. Plus, their roots are all interrelated even if the art styles change. I'm definitely not a fan of most of the newer stuff (anything after 2000, maybe even earlier), though.

Howl has grown on me. I didn't like it when I first saw it, though the music was nice. It's on instant Netflix if you have a subscription.

Ladykiller

DJ Helsing

For some reason, I read Ohio Con as Ohio Corn. I was seriously thinking, "Yeah, Ohio is corny" when I saw that.

8,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
DanieBarton03
Catherine
DanieBarton03
Catherine

EDIT:

When you say all the Disney movies, do you mean the cartoons? The majority of my collection is on VHS because DVDs didn't exist yet. The newer stuff I get as DVDs and a few of my favorite classics (when I have the money). My sister and I grew up with both the Disney films, Don Bluth, and other company (FOX, DreamWorks, etc) films so they're all nostalgic and special to us. Plus, their roots are all interrelated even if the art styles change. I'm definitely not a fan of most of the newer stuff (anything after 2000, maybe even earlier), though.

Howl has grown on me. I didn't like it when I first saw it, though the music was nice. It's on instant Netflix if you have a subscription.

Animated which I include the Nightmare Before Christmas and James and the Giant Peach in that too. I had a lot on VHS, but I donated them when DVDs where becoming more common. I used to be rich, and I used to make a lot of money working for the DMV. (You had to be certified, but I registered vehicles, transferred titles, IDs, VIN numbers ect. Payed very well, but the stress and harassment/abuse/danger wasn't worth it. People come in upset and curse, throw chairs, fight, try to steal plates, tags and titles. We moved but I was thinking about giving notice.) So because of that I bought pretty much every Disney DVD that was animated. I only had my phone bill, gas, and credit card. Lucky me, my car was paid off, and since I shared it I didn't have to pay insurance. Rent was free too. biggrin

Nonanimated Disney films I don't have... except Mary Poppins.
Roger Rabbit and Fantasia are splitting hairs.
Used to watch Shirley Temple, Petes Dragon, Escape to WitchMt, Some fairy movie with the kids from Mary Poppins in it. Other then those I grew up with My Little Pony, Care Bears, FurnGully, Lambchops, Nemo(Little Pajama Kid in dreamland, used to give me nightmares.) I could go on ha ha.

We don't have NetFlix, We have Comcast on Demand. I don't watch that much TV anyways I don't have time. Thanks for the tip if we ever look into it. heart

Devoted Fairy

11,350 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Pie For All! 300
DJ Helsing
Were going to Ohio Con in January!

Oh! Great! I'll have to see if I can make it. Maybe I'll make my brother come with me (he's always wanted to go to something like this, too). It'll definitely be worth it. emotion_yatta

I hope you have a very merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. heart

Eloquent Elder

Catherine
DanieBarton03

Animated which I include the Nightmare Before Christmas and James and the Giant Peach in that too. I had a lot on VHS, but I donated them when DVDs where becoming more common. I used to be rich, and I used to make a lot of money working for the DMV. (You had to be certified, but I registered vehicles, transferred titles, IDs, VIN numbers ect. Payed very well, but the stress and harassment/abuse/danger wasn't worth it. People come in upset and curse, throw chairs, fight, try to steal plates, tags and titles. We moved but I was thinking about giving notice.) So because of that I bought pretty much every Disney DVD that was animated. I only had my phone bill, gas, and credit card. Lucky me, my car was paid off, and since I shared it I didn't have to pay insurance. Rent was free too. biggrin

Nonanimated Disney films I don't have... except Mary Poppins.
Roger Rabbit and Fantasia are splitting hairs.
Used to watch Shirley Temple, Petes Dragon, Escape to WitchMt, Some fairy movie with the kids from Mary Poppins in it. Other then those I grew up with My Little Pony, Care Bears, FurnGully, Lambchops, Nemo(Little Pajama Kid in dreamland, used to give me nightmares.) I could go on ha ha.

We don't have NetFlix, We have Comcast on Demand. I don't watch that much TV anyways I don't have time. Thanks for the tip if we ever look into it. heart
That's quite a list. I totally understand about getting out of the DMV. Even just regular retail is tough and there you're not even paid well. 3nodding

I watched the same stuff as a kid. Little Nemo's Adventures in Slumberland gave you nightmares? I can understand that. It did get pretty dark. I felt the same way when watching Black Cauldron and Dark Crystal (poor gelflings).

I'm not a TV person anymore either. My family regularly watches Jeopardy and that's it. Otherwise we rent/buy movies or series.

Shameless Nerd

13,600 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Nerd 50
  • Signature Look 250
All I have to add is yay Disney!
And was just at the DMV the other day, didn't realize my license had experied and been bad with driving around with it not in proper working condition. Went and got it renewed, this makes me happy.

So happy to the thread active again!

Shameless Nerd

13,600 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Nerd 50
  • Signature Look 250
And I killed it.

Happy New Years! And how was everyones new years eve?
User Image
夢を見て 涙して 傷ついても . . .

Happy new year, everyone! From someone who hasn't been around in a bajillion years. wink

. . . 現実はがむしゃらに来るし
User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas