Welcome to Gaia! ::

CLICHÈ:

I think he just doesn't want to admit that he likes talking to us and that he aspires to our level of intelligence and our ability to converse about poetry and the things that we are set to talk about rather than just daily crap. Well, your level of intelligence. I honestly already feel like an idiot here, but that's ok.

=]

NOUN. A VERY PREDICTABLE OR UNORIGINAL THING OR PERSON
You're not really meshing into the conversation, Cliched. confused
Astaire
Oxxidation-12
Because poetry is incredibly boring to talk about. How can you call yourself a poet if you find poetry boring? Besides, you seem to be missing the point about this thread entirely. It's not just about TALKING about poetry; it's about WRITING it and expanding your own personal style. Consider this.

It's not the sort of thing that warrants discussion unless it's incredibly serious, nuts-and-bolts, "men standing in a bare warehouse with their sleeves rolled up and dog-ends smoldering under hardhats" craftsmanship stuff. What about poetry that's inspired us? Various styles that we wish to aspire to? And, so true, so sorry, nobody in the OP/L is good enough to warrant that sort of discussion. What makes you think that we, as poets, cannot discuss poetry? Some of us have taken classes on the matter, and I believe that anyone at any level should be able to discuss the poetry that moves them, that inspires them, and that has shown them various aspects of what poetry SHOULD be. Especially zero. Personal vendetta much?

What this is really about is being kowtowed to. Well, that's what your post seems to be about: are we supposed to be bowing down to your SUPERIOR KNOWLEDGE of what this thread is about? Because you're completely off the mark. zero was sick of people not talking about what HE wanted to talk about, so he made a topic where people would hopefully, eventually, follow his lines of conversation. Uh, no. This topic is about the discussion of poetry as a COMMUNITY. Zero may be in charge of it, but the discussion can go wherever it wants to go, so long as its poetry-related. What made you such an expert? A good idea on paper, but better people than him have tried it and the topics have died - sometimes tragically, I'll admit, a few of those were GOOD - while the Lurve lives on. So? That doesn't mean that it still isn't a good idea, and for what it's worth, you should give it a chance. Because it might be inane, and eye-bleedingly stupid at points, but it's TALK. And talk, buddy, never dies. See, it's that whole "inane and eye-bleedingly stupid" that we want to get away from. Why are you insulting endeavors to get away from that, even if you think they are "ill-fated?"

You really have no clue what you're talking about.

Hey, can't you see I'm trying to have a conversation here?

Pfft. So rude.

CLICHÈ:

See what I mean? I'll go now.

Oxxidation-12
`Kira
Well, let's wing it while it lasts.

And come to think of it, I'd rather talk of prose.

A-HA, EXACTLY!

Seriously, I was having this exact conversation with Kjralon earlier. Prose DOES tend to warrant discussion, because it contains story and story resonates on a much more common denominator. Poetry is, at its core, sheer language carved to razor point, without the burdens of story getting in its way. Admirable, sure - but not for everyone. Not for most people. Especially in a casual sense. People can write poetry casually, that's what I do, but don't expect them to dive into it with the fervor of a really good pulp paperback.
Well, you see:

Prose is actually my main interest. I'd like to see writing in general being discussed, but dreamers aren't wishers. Poetry interests me though, because of its arrangement of imagery, literary devices and format. I don't see how that couldn't be just as interesting as prose. With prose, stories are being discussed, and I can see how poetry appears to be quite dull in contrast. But really, it all depends on the mastery one has on such skills. Though I have to admit that poetry can become a stale topic real fast.
`Kira
Oxxidation-12
`Kira
Well, let's wing it while it lasts.

And come to think of it, I'd rather talk of prose.

A-HA, EXACTLY!

Seriously, I was having this exact conversation with Kjralon earlier. Prose DOES tend to warrant discussion, because it contains story and story resonates on a much more common denominator. Poetry is, at its core, sheer language carved to razor point, without the burdens of story getting in its way. Admirable, sure - but not for everyone. Not for most people. Especially in a casual sense. People can write poetry casually, that's what I do, but don't expect them to dive into it with the fervor of a really good pulp paperback.
Well, you see:

Prose is actually my main interest. I'd like to see writing in general being discussed, but dreamers aren't wishers. Poetry interests me though, because of its arrangement of imagery, literary devices and format. I don't see how that couldn't be just as interesting as prose. With prose, stories are being discussed, and I can see how poetry appears to be quite dull in contrast. But really, it all depends on the mastery one has on such skills. Though I have to admit that poetry can become a stale topic real fast.

The problem is one of skill, like you said. It's possible to put together solid stories using mediocre language (not just in terms of vocabulary, obviously), but poetry's the sort of thing you'd associate with gnarled hands and a jeweler's eyeglass. Hardcore stuff. It's somewhat inclusive appeal could also explain its low commercial value, as well. =P

The meat in poetry's in writing it and tightening it up, not talking about it. Which, really, is just another clue as to how flimsy this topic's foundation really is.

4,900 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
c l i c h X d forever_

CLICHÈ:

Don't take it so hard. You'll get the hang of it. heart

@Oxxi- Oh, sorry. Please, do carry on. I was only trying to point out that your logic was flawed.
Astaire
c l i c h X d forever_

CLICHÈ:

Don't take it so hard. You'll get the hang of it. heart

@Oxxi- Oh, sorry. Please, do carry on. I was only trying to point out that your logic was flawed.

Completely understandable. It's easy to try to butt in and referee where your input's not needed.

4,900 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Oxxidation-12
Completely understandable. It's easy to try to butt in and referee where your input's not needed.

You mean like the moment you came into this thread?
Oxxidation-12

The problem is one of skill, like you said. It's possible to put together solid stories using mediocre language (not just in terms of vocabulary, obviously), but poetry's the sort of thing you'd associate with gnarled hands and a jeweler's eyeglass. Hardcore stuff. It's somewhat inclusive appeal could also explain its low commercial value, as well. =P

The meat in poetry's in writing it and tightening it up, not talking about it. Which, really, is just another clue as to how flimsy this topic's foundation really is.
So basically: Prose is where the money's at because 1) everybody thinks they can write 2) it's a lot easier to discuss and improve and 3) people enjoy reading it more. I can see why poetry's a lot harder to conceive, especially with people of as much experience as a forum lurker.

CLICHÈ:

I'm only lurking, but I felt the need to defend myself. I'm a humorous person. I like to joke around, I like to make people laugh. Perhaps I didn't pick the best time to make a joke but hey, everyone makes mistakes. Maybe in your world they don't, and you must live in a very lonely and unacomplished world. I think it's obvious to everyone that I don't fit in here, I'm guessing you're all at least five years older than me and sure, age is no definition, but I'm going to guess that with five more years of schooling, you're a lot more intelligent than I am. At least I can admit when I'm wrong and when I'm dumb.

`Kira
Oxxidation-12

So basically: Prose is where the money's at because 1) everybody thinks they can write 2) it's a lot easier to discuss and improve and 3) people enjoy reading it more. I can see why poetry's a lot harder to conceive, especially with people of as much experience as a forum lurker.

I don't know very much about prose, but that was inrediblt well put, Kira.
`Kira
Oxxidation-12

Not necessarily in terms of cash, either. I LIKE reading stories, because even badly tangled wires can hold that electrical hum - you notice I briefly went into critiquing on the OS/P, and that was yards more fun than my occasional jaunts into the poems here. It's a matter of entertainment versus pure craftsmanship. Which one is better comes down to perspective (and by that I mean I can't prove that I'm right within the next ten pages or so), but it's easy to see which has more mass appeal.

Of course, SOME people might try to seize on this as a matter of maturity, but we've all seen what potholed roads that strategy takes us down, haven't we?
Astaire
Oxxidation-12

You mean like the moment you came into this thread?

I'm not the referee, I'm a guy in a toy steamroller. MY TRUCK HAS BETTER WHEELS THAN YOURS.

I've dealt with zero and his lackeys enough to have seen pretty much every route this can take. You'd be better off just backing away; after all, I have to log off sometime.
c l i c h X d forever_

CLICHÈ:

I'm only lurking, but I felt the need to defend myself. I'm a humorous person. I like to joke around, I like to make people laugh. Perhaps I didn't pick the best time to make a joke but hey, everyone makes mistakes. Maybe in your world they don't, and you must live in a very lonely and unacomplished world. I think it's obvious to everyone that I don't fit in here, I'm guessing you're all at least five years older than me and sure, age is no definition, but I'm going to guess that with five more years of schooling, you're a lot more intelligent than I am. At least I can admit when I'm wrong and when I'm dumb.

You can't be nine years old. gonk

@Zero: Eh, I can do better when I'm deep into discussion.

@Oxx: I have a long way to go before I'm senile. XD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces