Welcome to Gaia! ::

zero the last decepticon
Maj is Dead
Astaire
If this Ministry is such a terrible idea, why are they taking such great steps to condemn it?

Because people like pointing out stupidity. A lot.

I really don't care what you kids do, really, but the next person to express the "y'all are talking about it so we're obviously doing good things lol" sentiment, or any form thereof, should be prepared for the worst.

SRSLY.

The worst of what?
Are you going to threaten to leave Gaia again?
Are you going to huff and puff and blow on my house for a few days, before realizing it won't crumble? If anything your quickness to give up on the WWFFC front is more than motivation to outlast you, seeing as how you lack any true conviction in this particular erea. Do your worst, and when you're done, I'll golfclap.

It's funny when you huff and puff about huffing and puffing.

I've been busy with life away from the pixels, so, you know. Someone else might have to pick up the slack in the erea of worthless crusades.

But no, really. I was just trying to make it clear how much I like the way you and the other kids make use of the Me Against The World bit.

Really. You're so valiant.
Astaire
A paradelle is basically a parody of a villanelle; the form was invented by Collins himself, who detested form poetry. The idea is this:

NOTE: The paradelle is one of the more demanding French fixed forms, first appearing in the langue d’oc love poetry of the eleventh century.

Billy Collins is a joke. That's why he's funny.

That said, you should clarify your post; you copied it from Billy himself (or someone who believed him) who always did like to say that. You should make it clear no it was NOT French and yes Billy DID invent is as you said originally. (Note the ridiculousness of "invented by Billy Collins" and "originally 11th century" next to each other. NO he did not develop it, YES he invented it, NO it is not French, NO it is not from the 11th century.) Not everyone will read the links which (I hope) would explain that.

That said, he would be as amused as I am by what I'm about to tell you.

Someone once very wisely and sagely taught me that...
...it's actually IS a French form.

Uhhhyeahno. stressed lolol

Edit: And a new treat for me! I'm not a native speaker, but familiar enough with French to raise an eyebrow at a supposed poetry form term I don't know in it -- and note the fun "langue" ('tongue' or 'language' in French) and "d'oc" (duck, phonetically -- English). Duck tongue. har.

Yeah I'm guessing that's intentional. lol. Though I could be wrong.

4,900 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Poetess Laureate
Astaire
A paradelle is basically a parody of a villanelle; the form was invented by Collins himself, who detested form poetry. The idea is this:

NOTE: The paradelle is one of the more demanding French fixed forms, first appearing in the langue d’oc love poetry of the eleventh century.

Billy Collins is a joke. That's why he's funny.

That said, you should clarify your post; you copied it from Billy himself (or someone who believed him) who always did like to say that. You should make it clear no it was NOT French and yes Billy DID invent is as you said originally. (Note the ridiculousness of "invented by Billy Collins" and "originally 11th century" next to each other. NO he did not develop it, YES he invented it, NO it is not French, NO it is not from the 11th century.) Not everyone will read the links which (I hope) would explain that.

That said, he would be as amused as I am by what I'm about to tell you.

Someone once very wisely and sagely taught me that...
...it's actually IS a French form.

Uhhhyeahno. stressed lolol

Edit: And a new treat for me! I'm not a native speaker, but familiar enough with French to raise an eyebrow at a supposed poetry form term I don't know in it -- and note the fun "langue" ('tongue' or 'language' in French) and "d'oc" (duck, phonetically -- English). Duck tongue. har.

Yeah I'm guessing that's intentional. lol. Though I could be wrong.

Ah, sorry. The source I took that explanation from didn't cite the fact that the French bit was Collin's (very, very fake) explanation of the form's origin. I think that's where all of this confusion is coming from.

I'll edit it clarifying that the second explanation is from Collins (and, as such, is meant to be entirely tongue-in-cheek.)
Oxxidation-12

This topic will run out of steam before I do, buddy. That's a guarantee. =P

not if you all keep hating the thread IN the thread itself. That's more of a perpetual motion thing.
Johnny xFATHOMx
Oxxidation-12

not if you all keep hating the thread IN the thread itself. That's more of a perpetual motion thing.

You'd think so, right? But eventually things cycle back around to actual discussion - which can't be flamed - or rely entirely ON the flames and drop off when it stops. Either way's fine by me, but I'd just like to get in as many knocks on zero as possible before it peters out.
Oxxidation-12
Johnny xFATHOMx
Oxxidation-12

You'd think so, right? But eventually things cycle back around to actual discussion - which can't be flamed - or rely entirely ON the flames and drop off when it stops. Either way's fine by me, but I'd just like to get in as many knocks on zero as possible before it peters out.

LMAO
rock.
pirate
Has general chat been moved here, then?
`Che
I ********' love you. You started this thread with the Tao Of Now. F.N.A.
wink
Oooo shiny new board. Drama. And an emo emoticon. T'was only time.

Been a long while since I've written anything with a restrictive format. A format, yes, but instinctive formatting.

Like this I did on a topic called 'mikey's rap' on the MCR forum.

Quote:
Lend me your ears
Lend me your ears
This is where Mikey
and the band shift gears:

Twisted steps of my mind
circle up and up
and out into
Lend me your ears
Lend me your ears
And I find
myself back where I was
only with a bigger safety net.
Someone pass me the shears.

To drag this on topic, I'll attempt to turn it into a paradell taking the liberty of literal poetic licence - the grammar is not so identical.

Lend me your ears!
Lend me your ears!
This is where Mikey and the band shifts gears;
This is where Mikey and the band shifts gears:
Where shifts the band?
Mikey, this is lend me ears and gears.

Twisted steps of my mind,
Twisted steps of my mind
Circle up and up.
Circle up and up.
Of Steps and circle up.
(Twisted my mind up).

Back where I was
Back where I was
Only with a bigger safety net
Only with a bigger safety net.
Back with a bigger safety net -
Only where I was.

Was where
Your ears got twisted back,
And the band shifts a bigger safety net. (Where?)
I circle gears and bigger steps
with "lend of me my mind" only
this is Mikey. (Where?)

4,900 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Amadyll
Has general chat been moved here, then?

Nah, General Chat is still the Minilurve.

4,900 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
MCRmy_Ninja
Oooo shiny new board. Drama. And an emo emoticon. T'was only time.

Been a long while since I've written anything with a restrictive format. A format, yes, but instinctive formatting.

Like this I did on a topic called 'mikey's rap' on the MCR forum.

Quote:
Lend me your ears
Lend me your ears
This is where Mikey
and the band shift gears:

Twisted steps of my mind
circle up and up
and out into
Lend me your ears
Lend me your ears
And I find
myself back where I was
only with a bigger safety net.
Someone pass me the shears.

To drag this on topic, I'll attempt to turn it into a paradell taking the liberty of literal poetic licence - the grammar is not so identical.

Lend me your ears!
Lend me your ears!
This is where Mikey and the band shifts gears;
This is where Mikey and the band shifts gears:
Where shifts the band?
Mikey, this is lend me ears and gears.

Twisted steps of my mind,
Twisted steps of my mind
Circle up and up.
Circle up and up.
Of Steps and circle up.
(Twisted my mind up).

Back where I was
Back where I was
Only with a bigger safety net
Only with a bigger safety net.
Back with a bigger safety net -
Only where I was.

Was where
Your ears got twisted back,
And the band shifts a bigger safety net. (Where?)
I circle gears and bigger steps
with "lend of me my mind" only
this is Mikey. (Where?)

Woo! Someone attempted the paradelle! I'm lovin' it. heart So, do you think the poem works better as a paradelle or in its original form? I personally like the paradelle better, but that's just me.
I preferred my original version, I feel it had more flowyness... BUT it was fun to get my teeth into something like that. 4laugh

4,900 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
MCRmy_Ninja
I preferred my original version, I feel it had more flowyness... BUT it was fun to get my teeth into something like that. 4laugh

Heh, I imagine.

I need to try this form myself when I have the time... sweatdrop
I'd like to try this form as well. I suck at forms though, beware.
I'm going to turn another one of my poems into one as well. One question though, do the last two lines of each stanza have to include all the words from the first two lines? also, can they repeat?
Pssst... what was the big drama in teh minstry however long ago it was? Whatever it was I totally missed that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff