Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friday the Thirteenth is seen as an unlucky day because way back in the crusades there was a mass burning of the Templars due to them being seen as Heritics by other people. They were hunted down, beaten and burned, said to be devil worshipers and has always been seen as unlucky from that day forth....

Desirable Player

5,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
That is..uh.. scary....
Buzybee99
That is..uh.. scary....

Lol its not scary....its really interesting actually....
Some of our coolest traditions/customs come from terrible, terrible things.
The first example that comes to mind is "Ring Around the Rosie" being about the bubonic plague. emotion_awesome

Gothic's King

Desirable Sex Symbol

19,140 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
_MissBeHaven96_
Buzybee99
That is..uh.. scary....

I happen to think the number 13 in itself is interesting as well ;3.
Darkness_Consumes_Within
_MissBeHaven96_
Buzybee99
That is..uh.. scary....

Yea lol the number 13 plays a big part in things we see everyday in America and you dont even realize it .-. It is a bit creepy but its more interesting than it is scary xd

Versatile Attacker

11,475 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Enishi_Sparda
Friday the Thirteenth is seen as an unlucky day because way back in the crusades there was a mass burning of the Templars due to them being seen as Heritics by other people. They were hunted down, beaten and burned, said to be devil worshipers and has always been seen as unlucky from that day forth....

And also, in Chinese culture they believe the 13th is an unlucky number. 1 + 3 = 4 (which is pronunced as si, the same as "death" in Chinese)

Quotable Genius

3,100 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Somebody Likes You 100
FairyLemons
Enishi_Sparda

And also, in Chinese culture they believe the 13th is an unlucky number. 1 + 3 = 4 (which is pronunced as si, the same as "death" in Chinese)

nuoo way!>u< 13 is my fav. #

8,050 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Conventioneer 300
There's a great degree of superstition surrounding the number 13; most of it has to do with religious numerology, the idea that bad things tended to happen when the number 13 was in any wise involved. For example, Judas Iscariot was considered to be the 13th member of Jesus' inner circle (Jesus Himself, and the 12 apostles) - interestingly enough, in most cases where the apostles are named in the New Testament, Judas is listed last. Even more interesting, you flip back to the Old Testament, it talks about the 12 tribes of Israel, that is, the descendants of Jacob's 12 sons - only, things get mixed up a little. See, for his involvement in an attack made on a tribe Jacob had recently made peace with, Levi and his descendants were denied their own nation in the Promised Land; instead, they became the official "priest tribe" of the Israelites, having their own cities within each of the other nations, where they served those nations in regard to spiritual matters. To compensate for this, Jacob adopted his two grandsons from Joseph, granting each of their descendants a nation in the Promised Land and once again bringing the total of the Israelite nations back up to 12. So technically, Jacob had 13 heirs - but the unlucky one, Levi, lost out on his inheritance (though one could argue that being given the perpetual office of the priesthood is a pretty cush gig in and of itself).

That Friday is significant also has to do with Scripture; Friday is understood to be the 6th day of the week, and the last day of the first week in which God did any work on His creation. Being the 6th day, it is associated with man, and mankind in general, the masterpiece of the creation and also that aspect thereof which caused all creation to fall into chaos. Thus, Friday and the number 6 are associated with both the end of creation and humanity's imperfection and sin. And of course, I could go into how the Antichrist is foretold to capitalize on this number in regard to its own, but I'm sure most of you are aware of that one.

Thus, on any given Friday that coincides with the 13th day of a given month, you have these two numerological misfits coming together and inspiring all manner of fear in the particularly superstitious. Frankly, it's just that - superstition. There's nothing is Scripture that specifically states that Friday the 13th is a day to be dreaded. Let's face it, the Gregorian calendar (the one we all go by these days) didn't even exist until about 530 years ago, and while the old Hebrew calendar still observed the idea of the 7-day week, its structure of reckoning months and years was very different, based more closely on the lunar cycle. Never mind specific dates; the Hebrews observed sundown as the beginning of the new day, a practice still observed by the devout, particularly in regard to religious holidays. In light of all this, one figures the whole Friday the 13th superstition is nothing to get hung up on.

Manly Lunatic

FairyLemons
Enishi_Sparda

Indeed. I believe there is no 4th fall.

Shadowy Rogue

10,450 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
  • Champion 300
Topside
I love you! heart emotion_awesome
Darkness_Consumes_Within
_MissBeHaven96_
Buzybee99
That is..uh.. scary....

Get this... You cannot get 6:66 on a clock... Right? Instead you get 7:06... 7+6 = 13
not scared though

agnogenic's Wife

12,500 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
so is it because i'm an unfeeling a*****e or maybe that i was related down the line to or used to be in a past life: one of those people who did those things? because i really like friday the 13th

Gekko

Topside
There's a great degree of superstition surrounding the number 13; most of it has to do with religious numerology, the idea that bad things tended to happen when the number 13 was in any wise involved. For example, Judas Iscariot was considered to be the 13th member of Jesus' inner circle (Jesus Himself, and the 12 apostles) - interestingly enough, in most cases where the apostles are named in the New Testament, Judas is listed last. Even more interesting, you flip back to the Old Testament, it talks about the 12 tribes of Israel, that is, the descendants of Jacob's 12 sons - only, things get mixed up a little. See, for his involvement in an attack made on a tribe Jacob had recently made peace with, Levi and his descendants were denied their own nation in the Promised Land; instead, they became the official "priest tribe" of the Israelites, having their own cities within each of the other nations, where they served those nations in regard to spiritual matters. To compensate for this, Jacob adopted his two grandsons from Joseph, granting each of their descendants a nation in the Promised Land and once again bringing the total of the Israelite nations back up to 12. So technically, Jacob had 13 heirs - but the unlucky one, Levi, lost out on his inheritance (though one could argue that being given the perpetual office of the priesthood is a pretty cush gig in and of itself).

That Friday is significant also has to do with Scripture; Friday is understood to be the 6th day of the week, and the last day of the first week in which God did any work on His creation. Being the 6th day, it is associated with man, and mankind in general, the masterpiece of the creation and also that aspect thereof which caused all creation to fall into chaos. Thus, Friday and the number 6 are associated with both the end of creation and humanity's imperfection and sin. And of course, I could go into how the Antichrist is foretold to capitalize on this number in regard to its own, but I'm sure most of you are aware of that one.

Thus, on any given Friday that coincides with the 13th day of a given month, you have these two numerological misfits coming together and inspiring all manner of fear in the particularly superstitious. Frankly, it's just that - superstition. There's nothing is Scripture that specifically states that Friday the 13th is a day to be dreaded. Let's face it, the Gregorian calendar (the one we all go by these days) didn't even exist until about 530 years ago, and while the old Hebrew calendar still observed the idea of the 7-day week, its structure of reckoning months and years was very different, based more closely on the lunar cycle. Never mind specific dates; the Hebrews observed sundown as the beginning of the new day, a practice still observed by the devout, particularly in regard to religious holidays. In light of all this, one figures the whole Friday the 13th superstition is nothing to get hung up on.

^Basically this.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces