Welcome to Gaia! ::

FairyLemons
Enishi_Sparda
Friday the Thirteenth is seen as an unlucky day because way back in the crusades there was a mass burning of the Templars due to them being seen as Heritics by other people. They were hunted down, beaten and burned, said to be devil worshipers and has always been seen as unlucky from that day forth....

And also, in Chinese culture they believe the 13th is an unlucky number. 1 + 3 = 4 (which is pronunced as si, the same as "death" in Chinese)

And in Japan, 4 is shi and death is also shi. Irony, ja? gaia_nitemareleft gaia_spoons gaia_nitemareright
Enishi_Sparda
Friday the Thirteenth is seen as an unlucky day because way back in the crusades there was a mass burning of the Templars due to them being seen as Heritics by other people. They were hunted down, beaten and burned, said to be devil worshipers and has always been seen as unlucky from that day forth....

Where did you learn this? It is very interesting.

Dangerous Millionaire

7,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
Anyway, Friday the thirteenth is rare. I went through all the months on my calendar, and it seems like Friday the 13th comes every 2 - 10 months. There is still a reason to be suspicious, though, as people have explained. I double checked, and the next F13 is in June. Be careful wink
aqua-pearl13
Enishi_Sparda

Where did you learn this? It is very interesting.

Well... I did a lot of research when I was on a certain medication and it caused me to obsess on certain things and yeah...

Dapper Capitalist

Topside

User Image
This was beautifully worded and well researched
I commend you on your shared knowledge.

starkaat

User Image
This 'fact' is actually under speculation
The plague first hit in 1347
But the song wasn't written in print until 1887
People forget songs that were popular three years ago.
How is one to remember a nursery rhyme for five centuries?
Particularly without it being documented
Not to mention there have been different variations that have nothing to do with plague or death at all.

But I do agree with you.
Most fairytales and children's songs have darker origins and meanings.

Adorable Torii

14,200 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
In Christian reliegion, I heard that at the Last Supper, there where 13 people (Jesus and his 12 followers) and someone had to bring a doll to place on a 14th chair, so they would not be unlucky or cursed.

Thats what I heard, anyway... sweatdrop

Lonely Phantom

9,150 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Invisibility 100
starkaat
Some of our coolest traditions/customs come from terrible, terrible things.
The first example that comes to mind is "Ring Around the Rosie" being about the bubonic plague. emotion_awesome

"Ring-a-ring-a-roses,
A pocket full of posies;
Ashes! Ashes!
We all fall down."

Such a dark song

Fandom Melodies's Husband

Hopeless Romantic

Atalina The Fallen Angel
starkaat
Some of our coolest traditions/customs come from terrible, terrible things.
The first example that comes to mind is "Ring Around the Rosie" being about the bubonic plague. emotion_awesome

"Ring-a-ring-a-roses,
A pocket full of posies;
Ashes! Ashes!
We all fall down."

Such a dark song

the ring around the roses represented the symptomes of the plague. victims had big welts with red discoloration to them. the pocket full of posies were to hide the smell of the decomposing bodies. and the ashed were because the bodies of the victims had to be burned as not to contaminate the water supply.
have you ever listened to the words of rockaby baby. that song is messed up. who puts a baby in a tree???

3,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Conventioneer 300
I wonder if this "unlucky 13" thing is why some people divide the day into 12 AM hours and 12 PM hours instead of 24 total hours?
Phantomhive Royal

Huh. This topic is a little old... Of course, tomorrow makes it relevant again. :o

I was told (a long time ago, mind you) that it referred to a later outbreak of plague (in the 17th or 18th century, I think?). Still, the time difference and multiple versions of the song make it kind of unlikely. Thanks for the information. c:

Beloved Smoker

5,600 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Beloved Smoker

5,600 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
why is friendy so impoten anyway i dont get it at all

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Enishi_Sparda

References please unless you are just making that up because:
"There were seven Crusades, with the first beginning in 1095 and the last ending in 1291"

but...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_the_13th
"According to folklorists, there is no written evidence for a "Friday the 13th" superstition before the 19th century. The earliest known documented reference in English occurs in Henry Sutherland Edwards' 1869 biography of Gioachino Rossini, who died on a Friday 13th.

He [Rossini] was surrounded to the last by admiring friends; and if it be true that, like so many Italians, he regarded Fridays as an unlucky day and thirteen as an unlucky number, it is remarkable that one Friday 13th of November he died."

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff