Welcome to Gaia! ::

Playful Guildswoman

Amulet_Ruby
I remember hearing that in England, black cats give good luck while its the white cats which brought bad luck :3

During the plague in Europe,1/5 o 1/3 of the population died during a century. Why so many, far more than before OR since?

All cats were thought unlucky and were usually killed - remember, his is also when they were burning people alive as witches....
I happened to see a black cat get hit by a car outside my school while waiting for my brother. I... don't even.

I loved that cat, though. It was the friendliest lil thing ever. Many a time I'd carry it out of school before all the kids would clamour it and scare it ;-; and now it's dead... most horrific thing I've seen ever.

Angelic Enchantress

22,000 Points
  • Dragon Uprising 75
  • Energy Harvester 150
  • Bitter Sandstorm 200
jellykans
Amulet_Ruby
I remember hearing that in England, black cats give good luck while its the white cats which brought bad luck :3

During the plague in Europe,1/5 o 1/3 of the population died during a century. Why so many, far more than before OR since?

All cats were thought unlucky and were usually killed - remember, his is also when they were burning people alive as witches....

The fact I stated is a current superstition, not one of the past. I was merely telling a fun little fact on how the superstition of the cats bad luck is reversed because of the colors.

Besides when the witch hunts occurred cats wasnt quite thought of as unlucky but rather that they were believed to be witches in disguise or witches disciples which would bring harm to normal folks. It was this belief which later on turned into the belief of black cats bad luck which lived on even after we stopped believing in witches.
Oh, no, no, no! If anything, it's GOOD luck if a blackcat crosses your path! Cuz you can take it home! I don't know who came up with that silly idea that black cats are bad luck. They probably saw one and then had bad luck. But it must have just been a coincidence!

Virtuous Saint

9,750 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Champion 300
  • Grunny Grabber 50
I have 8 cats, and all but 3 of them are black. I haven't noticed any bad luck running around there because of it. I love my kitties. ^_^

Snarky Vampire

39,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Champion 300
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
Personally, no. I think the black cat superstition is just a silly superstition. It likely originated centuries ago, during the various European and American witch hunts. Being suspected of witchcraft that far back was, needless to say, a very bad thing thanks to superstition and the sway the church held on many communities; being found "guilty" of being a witch generally came with the death sentence, although methods of death and even the actual sentences varied by time and place (there weren't any witch burnings in Salem, Massachusetts, for example). By proxy, cats owned by suspected witches were likewise distrusted and perhaps even feared.

Dapper Sophomore

5,050 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Market Browser 100
  • Consumer 100
Everyone nailed it. I don't believe they're bad luck. I've never owned a completely black cat, but most cats are sweethearts.

Invisible Shapeshifter

7,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
Amulet_Ruby
jellykans
Amulet_Ruby

The fact I stated is a current superstition, not one of the past. I was merely telling a fun little fact on how the superstition of the cats bad luck is reversed because of the colors.

Besides when the witch hunts occurred cats wasnt quite thought of as unlucky but rather that they were believed to be witches in disguise or witches disciples which would bring harm to normal folks. It was this belief which later on turned into the belief of black cats bad luck which lived on even after we stopped believing in witches.

Wow, you guys did your home work. I don't think I ever would've connected those two together like that.
Thanks for posting such interesting information!

Invisible Shapeshifter

7,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
Freeze Shock
I happened to see a black cat get hit by a car outside my school while waiting for my brother. I... don't even.

I loved that cat, though. It was the friendliest lil thing ever. Many a time I'd carry it out of school before all the kids would clamour it and scare it ;-; and now it's dead... most horrific thing I've seen ever.

That's soo sad! Poor kitty 3:
NOT REALLY

Heart Consumer

Superstitions are just all in the head. One makes one's own luck.
Thats wat she said mrgreen

Angelic Phantom

I always thought it was lucky to have my black cat cross my path. This was the first Friday 13th she couldn't do it. sad

Tipsy Pirate

I like black cats~
Lynessa Windrunner
-massivefacepalm- I own a black cat and nothing's happened to me so far. <.<

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items