Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Vampire

6,550 Points
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Vampires are considered evil. But that's only because kids are raised to think that way, if they were the hero's in fairy tales that would be different. Don't you think so?
The same is true for dragons, witches and monsters as well... however in childrens storys things are pretty much black and white because its objective is to teach morals and thus, its not a really good idea mixing good and evil characters together.... That's for older kids
(However, looking at today's kids/young adults I'm not sure if they will keep that in mind when raising their children)

Obsessive Shapeshifter

15,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Invisibility 100
Also When it comes to why you don't see them in fairy tales at all its probably because of the time and culture they came from. when most of the tales came into being vampires didn't really exist the way they do now and if they had been in fairy tales the would have much more closely resembled the living dead like zombies because thats how the myth of vampires started either they were blood drinking undead who were cursed or they were blood drink undead who were witches working for Satan it all depends on the source of the history

Shameless Shapeshifter

lexy 9898
Vampires are considered evil. But that's only because kids are raised to think that way, if they were the hero's in fairy tales that would be different. Don't you think so?

Vampires do appear in old fairy tales, though not in a heroic capacity. Vampires weren't really considered as having any kind of potential heroic capacity until the late 20th century.

That said, if a vampire fairy tale hero is what lifts your luggage, then by all means write such a story.

3,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Team Edward 100
  • Signature Look 250
I suppose, but the thing is vampire can supposedly only be stopped if someone stops them, in other words, killing them. I don't know about you, but I don't want to go to bed with the thought of a headless vampire sweatdrop

Angelic Giver

8,050 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
Vampires appeared but they were more like monsters or zombies. They were not widely spreed until later on. They certainly did not have the popularity they have to day nor to the degree they do. To find a tale with a vampire in it one must mearly look harder then they would with other story's about other mythical monsters, like wise mind the region your looking in. Vampires haven't always been called vampires in all parts of the world.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
lexy 9898

What place would vampires have in a fairy tale? There's no message you can tell for children that you can't do with another monster. I'll guarantee to you, however, that there are stories in local folklore where vampires originate. Plenty of stories about werewolves, too.

But they're not really meant for younger audiences.

Deadeye

17,175 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
Because vampires are not fairies, excepting you-know-who, and the tales that vampires and werewolves are in are called "folklore."

Kawaii Carnivore

WintersFrozenRoseAnon
Vampires appeared but they were more like monsters or zombies. They were not widely spreed until later on. They certainly did not have the popularity they have to day nor to the degree they do. To find a tale with a vampire in it one must mearly look harder then they would with other story's about other mythical monsters, like wise mind the region your looking in. Vampires haven't always been called vampires in all parts of the world.

Yesh.Very clear and good explanation .I couldn t do better!

Shameless Shapeshifter

Bellbird
Because vampires are not fairies, excepting you-know-who, and the tales that vampires and werewolves are in are called "folklore."

Now I'm imagining Voldemort as a tiny sparkly fairy. razz

Also, fairy tales don't have to contain fairies. In fact, they usually don't.

Aekea Pirate

11,900 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Elocutionist 200
It seems that everyone has already said it. Any traces of vampires in fairy tales are rare (you have to go beyond the Brothers Grimm to find them) and the same can be said of folklore. But as said before they weren't always called vampires but the description of them in the stories shows signs of vampirism. I think you may find some signs of vampirism in the Bible if you look hard enough.

Vampires then were seen as evil or something to avoid because of being undead and anything undead was very unnatural and unholy since the undead had no soul, soullessness seemed to be something of the devil, thus evil.

And considering what the vampire diet consists of... well then they didn't really care to make something that could kill them the hero. Making the vampire a 'good' person who chooses to oppose their true nature is something that we have done as of lately by romanticizing them, or as some say de-fanging them.

It's true that witches were seen as bad in some cases but not always. They were also used as a device to punish disobedient children. And it depends on which version of Rapunzel you read the witch/fairy wasn't all that evil, just something of an over protective adoptive mother who felt jaded when her little girl sneaked a boy into the house while she was gone and got pregnant (before an official marriage).

Dangerous Ladykiller

13,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Nerd 50
Because Vampires weren't invented in the times of fairy tales. They were created around the 1800s (don't quote me about the time date, it's a guess) when they actually started referring to those creatures as vampires. I believe the first vampire short story was Vampry ?
Most vampires as we know them came from East European folklore such as as Romania, Bulgaria, etc. Most fairy tales that we know of came more from central and Western Europe such as Germany, Denmark, England, France, etc. The two originated in different folk regions so of course you won't find vampires in fairy tales.
I would love to read about a vampire hero or heroine in a fairy story, as long as it's not Blade or the girl from Underworld. pirate

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff