Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Prophet

6,000 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
Yanueh
KiddtheAssassin
Peter Pan didn't grow up because he was the Only Child. Like all Lost Boys he fell out of his pram and found himself in Neverland where he could have all the adventures he wanted for as long as he dreamed. But when he returned to visit his parents the window had been locked and another baby was in his place. His heart broken, he vowed never to trust grown ups or to become one himself.

Maybe, maybe not. The narrator of the book says "I am not sure that this was true, but Peter thought it was true."

Revinita
I don't think Peter fell out of a pram, I'm pretty sure he flew away to Neverland on his own. I remember there being a line about all babies being part bird that explained it.

This was not from Peter Pan, but from Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens, which takes place in a separate continuity.

Ah, thank you. I must have confused the two.

Party Member

Senorita Jade
Huh, but Peter was not malnutritioned. in the book you can distinguish that he was just fine for his age.
According to your link source, it was Barry who had PSS, not him.
User Image

Because author allusion/insertion totally isn't a thing.

Benevolent Genius

13,900 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Mark Twain 100
Revinita
Tenko72
I thought no one in Neverland aged?

Neverland is a fisher kingdom of Peter Pan, meaning he controls it over it controls him.
I'm pretty sure it says in the original book that you can grow up in Neverland, but Peter will throw you out if you do. It's been a long time since I read it though.
I never read it, so I believe you, since you did.

KiddtheAssassin
Revinita
KiddtheAssassin
In short: because he simply didn't want to.

Longer explanation:

Peter Pan didn't grow up because he lived in Neverland. Neverland is a world made entirely of children's dreams and adventures. It is the place where children remain eternal. Lots of children come and go from Neverland, some visiting longer than others. But eventually all children leave, save one.

Peter Pan didn't grow up because he was the Only Child. Like all Lost Boys he fell out of his pram and found himself in Neverland where he could have all the adventures he wanted for as long as he dreamed. But when he returned to visit his parents the window had been locked and another baby was in his place. His heart broken, he vowed never to trust grown ups or to become one himself.

And so he will not. Peter resides in Neverland as a symbol of childhood. He is selfish and cruel, but fun-loving and filled with adventure. He has all of his baby teeth and is quite absent-minded. He is the boy who will never grow up.

I don't think Peter fell out of a pram, I'm pretty sure he flew away to Neverland on his own. I remember there being a line about all babies being part bird that explained it.

Not in the original by JM Barrie. Peter fell out of his pram like all the others.
What is a pram? Wikipedia says it's baby transport, but what kind?

Shameless Flatterer

Tenko72

Not in the original by JM Barrie. Peter fell out of his pram like all the others.

They're like baby carriages that looked like this.

Maids and nurses used to bring children around gardens and parks and the like. When boys fell out (never girls, they're far too clever for that) they would fly away to Neverland, leaving the nurses and maids to search for them, but to no avail. In Peter Pan in Scarlet (the only official sequel to Peter Pan) the mothers and nurses used the prams to swim to Neverland to find them. But because adults have such a hard time in Neverland they often got stuck at the Maze of Witches on the Neverpeak, wandering the labyrinth for all days searching for their lost boy.

Star Lover

7,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Champion 300
highclasslinda
I would say he probably didn't "want" to grow up. It's just so much to do as an adult and their are plenty of responsibilties to take. Peter just wanted to have fun and not do adult things. Sometimes i don't want to grow up either l0l.

I agree with you. Peter was distressed about the fact that he might have to grow up so he rejected the idea so strongly, he met Tinker Bell and went to the Neverland

Benevolent Genius

13,900 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Mark Twain 100
KiddtheAssassin
Tenko72

They're like baby carriages that looked like this.

Maids and nurses used to bring children around gardens and parks and the like. When boys fell out (never girls, they're far too clever for that) they would fly away to Neverland, leaving the nurses and maids to search for them, but to no avail. In Peter Pan in Scarlet (the only official sequel to Peter Pan) the mothers and nurses used the prams to swim to Neverland to find them. But because adults have such a hard time in Neverland they often got stuck at the Maze of Witches on the Neverpeak, wandering the labyrinth for all days searching for their lost boy.Thanks so much!

Questionable Borg

Yanueh
Mayor Gravity
Why would a child's love towards his/her mother be selfish rather than selfless?

Because children rely on their parents to care for them, not the other way around.
Yes, but I don't see how that is selfish, it's a parent's "job" to take care of a child.

Shameless Shapeshifter

Mayor Gravity
Yanueh
Mayor Gravity
Why would a child's love towards his/her mother be selfish rather than selfless?

Because children rely on their parents to care for them, not the other way around.
Yes, but I don't see how that is selfish, it's a parent's "job" to take care of a child.

It's selfish because it's self-centered. I don't mean to imply that there's anything wrong with that - after all, children need the protection and nurture of adults. But the crux of the matter remains that Peter could only love Wendy as a mother-figure, not as romantic partner.

Shameless Flatterer

Yanueh
Mayor Gravity
Yanueh
Mayor Gravity

It's selfish because it's self-centered. I don't mean to imply that there's anything wrong with that - after all, children need the protection and nurture of adults. But the crux of the matter remains that Peter could only love Wendy as a mother-figure, not as romantic partner.

I think that was Peter's way of showing his love for Wendy. Being just a child he only knew the love of the mother, never the kind of love you feel for your soul mate. So Peter loved Wendy more than he had ever loved a woman, more than he had ever loved his mother. His heart broke when his mother replaced him, but his heart broke forever when he lost Wendy to motherhood.

Wendy was the only lost girl who ever went to Neverland. The first one since children had started dreaming of Neverland. But when she did Peter found the only girl who could break his heart harder than his mother had. That's why he is constantly trying to replace Wendy with Jane and Margaret and all of his daughters. Why was he only taking her girls? Why wasn't he taking other mother's daughters as well? Because he was trying to find a way to love Wendy forever.

His love for Wendy was far more than just the love he felt for his mother. It was his only one true love.
Well isnt he always in neverland? Dont you not grow up if your in neverland?

Shameless Shapeshifter

KiddtheAssassin
I think that was Peter's way of showing his love for Wendy. Being just a child he only knew the love of the mother, never the kind of love you feel for your soul mate. So Peter loved Wendy more than he had ever loved a woman, more than he had ever loved his mother. His heart broke when his mother replaced him, but his heart broke forever when he lost Wendy to motherhood.

That's the whole point. That's the only love Peter is capable of, period.

Quote:
Wendy was the only lost girl who ever went to Neverland.

Wendy was not a "lost girl." She never fell out of her pram as an infant.

Quote:
The first one since children had started dreaming of Neverland. But when she did Peter found the only girl who could break his heart harder than his mother had. That's why he is constantly trying to replace Wendy with Jane and Margaret and all of his daughters. Why was he only taking her girls? Why wasn't he taking other mother's daughters as well? Because he was trying to find a way to love Wendy forever.

His love for Wendy was far more than just the love he felt for his mother. It was his only one true love.

Peter loved Wendy as a mother-figure and nothing more, as chapter 10 makes abundantly clear:

Quote:
"Not if you don't wish it," she replied; and she distinctly heard his sigh of relief. "Peter," she asked, trying to speak firmly, "what are your exact feelings to [about] me?"

"Those of a devoted son, Wendy."

"I thought so," she said, and went and sat by herself at the extreme end of the room.

"You are so queer," he said, frankly puzzled, "and Tiger Lily is just the same. There is something she wants to be to me, but she says it is not my mother."

"No, indeed, it is not," Wendy replied with frightful emphasis. Now we know why she was prejudiced against the redskins.

"Then what is it?"

"It isn't for a lady to tell."

"Oh, very well," Peter said, a little nettled. "Perhaps Tinker Bell will tell me."

"Oh yes, Tinker Bell will tell you," Wendy retorted scornfully. "She is an abandoned little creature."

Here Tink, who was in her bedroom, eavesdropping, squeaked out something impudent.

"She says she glories in being abandoned," Peter interpreted.

He had a sudden idea. "Perhaps Tink wants to be my mother?"

"You silly a**!" cried Tinker Bell in a passion.

She had said it so often that Wendy needed no translation.

"I almost agree with her," Wendy snapped. Fancy Wendy snapping! But she had been much tried, and she little knew what was to happen before the night was out. If she had known she would not have snapped.
I think i know why a friend of my family has a brother named peter who is 52 years old but has the mind and mental capacity of a 6 year old child so i think thats why peter pan never grew up because he has a mental disability

4,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Actuly in the syfy movie the say it was his pure child hart that alowed him to gain the power of the fairies and that alowed him to remain in a child state. He died to save an indain girl from pirates and it was that sacifice that made up the minds of the fairies. There Power was the only was to save him. Never land is a place that existes in a demintion where time stand's still, it is between two defernt dementions, it is a place where they intersect.

11,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I think its because age means death. I truly believe it was meant to reflect our human nature, in that we all fear death in some way. Pan thought to live forever, and so aging to him could never happen
Mayor Gravity
I've always wondered this, and want to know other people's opnions.

I've read teh J,M Barrie book, but I don't remember it ever actually disclosing it.

Some people say that if he died, Neverland would die, and then all the innocent makebelieve of childhood would die.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff