Welcome to Gaia! ::

If you were in a fairytale, which one would you prefer?

Cinderella 0.11949685534591 11.9% [ 38 ]
Little Red Riding Hood 0.16352201257862 16.4% [ 52 ]
Sleeping Beauty 0.094339622641509 9.4% [ 30 ]
Repunzel 0.12264150943396 12.3% [ 39 ]
Alli Babba and the Fourty Thieves 0.066037735849057 6.6% [ 21 ]
Rumplestilsken 0.081761006289308 8.2% [ 26 ]
Other 0.18867924528302 18.9% [ 60 ]
Meh...give me gold 0.16352201257862 16.4% [ 52 ]
Total Votes:[ 318 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Questionable Borg

Little_rock09
Rapunzel , I was like 19 years long hair WTF !
Plus howd she take a bath on that silly tower !
I'm sure the castle had some source of water.
Mayor Gravity
Little_rock09

Or the witch may have brought water with her when she goes up . But how does she take a s**t and take a piss . And howd she grown that full head of hair

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

David2074
I don't know about my favorite but I just read a summary of The Girl Without Hands and it's kind of macabre.

I have a number of children's story books from the early 1900's to 1940's and it is interesting how much most of the modern versions have been 'sanitized'.

I so envy you for that and I don't even know you.@.@

How sanitized did they become?

Questionable Borg

Little_rock09
Mayor Gravity
Little_rock09

Or the witch may have brought water with her when she goes up . But how does she take a s**t and take a piss . And howd she grown that full head of hair
I'm sure the castle had some form of a bathroom.

and with being locked up, I doubt she had access to a barber.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Yuki_Windira
David2074
I don't know about my favorite but I just read a summary of The Girl Without Hands and it's kind of macabre.

I have a number of children's story books from the early 1900's to 1940's and it is interesting how much most of the modern versions have been 'sanitized'.

Even more than I realized once I started reading this forum and Googling.
I knew from one of my books that in some versions Little Red Riding Hood gets eaten by the wolf.
From here and internet I've learned that in early versions Sleeping Beauty was raped in her sleep, got pregnant and had two babies, then was awakened not by a prince's kiss but by one of the babies sucking on her finger and dislodging the magic flax seed that was stuck under her fingernail.

Snow White - was her mother or step-mother (depending on the version) trying to kill her and she had near death from the witch three times total with the poison apple being the third. The prince had never met her before but wanted her dead body to take home with him because she was beautiful. I'm not sure if he was into necrophilia or just weird trophies but not sure why you'd want a dead body of someone you don't know regardless of looks. While carrying the coffin the bearers tripped and the jostling of the body caused the piece of apple to dislodge from her throat and make her wake up (not a kiss). I've seen some other stuff mentioned in the forum threads but forget at the moment.

The books I have are mainly ones given by my grandmother and great-grandmother to my mom and a couple of others I've picked up along the way. What's missing that makes me sad is we used to have all or most of the Oz series of books. The Wizard of Oz being the most famous due to the movie but there was a whole series of Frank Baum books set in Oz. I'm not sure if ours were first edition but if not they were quite old. I've seen ones that looked just like them for a bunch of money in rare book stores. Somewhere along the way (I think in a divorce) they disappeared. It's not the value of the books but sentimental value. I used to get read to from those books every day at nap time and they are part of what gave me a life long love of books. Except when I was little I used to think the wheelies were really scary. Which seems really silly now but of course I was very young at the time. smile

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

David2074
Yuki_Windira
David2074

Even more than I realized once I started reading this forum and Googling.
I knew from one of my books that in some versions Little Red Riding Hood gets eaten by the wolf.
From here and internet I've learned that in early versions Sleeping Beauty was raped in her sleep, got pregnant and had two babies, then was awakened not by a prince's kiss but by one of the babies sucking on her finger and dislodging the magic flax seed that was stuck under her fingernail.

Snow White - was her mother or step-mother (depending on the version) trying to kill her and she had near death from the witch three times total with the poison apple being the third. The prince had never met her before but wanted her dead body to take home with him because she was beautiful. I'm not sure if he was into necrophilia or just weird trophies but not sure why you'd want a dead body of someone you don't know regardless of looks. While carrying the coffin the bearers tripped and the jostling of the body caused the piece of apple to dislodge from her throat and make her wake up (not a kiss). I've seen some other stuff mentioned in the forum threads but forget at the moment.

The books I have are mainly ones given by my grandmother and great-grandmother to my mom and a couple of others I've picked up along the way. What's missing that makes me sad is we used to have all or most of the Oz series of books. The Wizard of Oz being the most famous due to the movie but there was a whole series of Frank Baum books set in Oz. I'm not sure if ours were first edition but if not they were quite old. I've seen ones that looked just like them for a bunch of money in rare book stores. Somewhere along the way (I think in a divorce) they disappeared. It's not the value of the books but sentimental value. I used to get read to from those books every day at nap time and they are part of what gave me a life long love of books. Except when I was little I used to think the wheelies were really scary. Which seems really silly now but of course I was very young at the time. smile

Isn't that the version where the wolf has her sleep with him? confused

I remember that version better than the kid friendly one,this one made me have a grand ol' "What the heck....o-0;"

Did she marry him in the end,even though he tried to take home her 'dead' body for questionable reasons? o-0

They must have been really fun to read. smile
My ultimate Grimm favorite at the moment is "Mother Hulda" (I recently wrote a retelling of it).

I also love "The Princess in Disguise" (for those who like "Catskin" and "Donkeyskin" ), "The Golden Key", "The Maiden Without Hands" (who names their kid Pain Bringer?! xd . ), and "The Juniper Tree" to name a few.

BTW David2074 you are awesome. 3nodding

Believer

Uriel Shadespire

I've always been fond of These:

Red Riding Hood (Little Red-Cap)
The Seven Ravens
The Poor Boy in the Grave
The Louse and the Flea
Godfather Death

to name a few.
Mayor Gravity
Little_rock09
Mayor Gravity
Little_rock09

And how did she learn how to do math and english ( wait she was locked in the tower when she was 12 sorry )

Plus how did she bring her hair down if she brought it down it would take strength to pull the with up and she might fall .

Questionable Borg

Little_rock09
Mayor Gravity
Little_rock09
Mayor Gravity
Little_rock09

And how did she learn how to do math and english ( wait she was locked in the tower when she was 12 sorry )

Plus how did she bring her hair down if she brought it down it would take strength to pull the with up and she might fall .
I'm sure it was super thick.
I like pie.
Mayor Gravity
Little_rock09
Mayor Gravity
Little_rock09
Mayor Gravity
Little_rock09

But howd she pulled it up it must be very tiring . And yeah the prince fell down on a thorny bush howd he SURVIVE REALITy CHECK!

Questionable Borg

Little_rock09
Mayor Gravity
Little_rock09
Mayor Gravity
Little_rock09

But howd she pulled it up it must be very tiring . And yeah the prince fell down on a thorny bush howd he SURVIVE REALITy CHECK!
It's not reality, it's a fairly tale.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Yuki_Windira
Isn't that the version where the wolf has her sleep with him? confused

I remember that version better than the kid friendly one,this one made me have a grand ol' "What the heck....o-0;"

Yes. The wolf had her get in bed with 'grandma' so she got undressed and got in bed with the wolf, then noticed what big arms she has, what big legs she has and so on. Then the usual big teeth / better to eat you with and the wolf ate her. So in that version wolf eats grandma, then wolf eats Red Riding Hood, and that is the end. No woodsman saving her or anything.

My source of that is Great Short Stories of The World. "A collection of complete short stories chosen from the literatures of all periods and countries by Barrett H. Clark and Maxim Lieber" Copyright March 1929 (first published 1926). The Little Red Riding Hood story is attributed to being from "Tales of My Mother Goose" but it does not give a year other than obviously it was pre 1926.

I'm not sure what the moral was there. Could be little kids should not wander into the woods alone except her mom sent her. Don't obey your mom? Don't take custard and butter to your grandmother? Don't get into bed with old ladies? lol. I mean, if there was a point other than scaring the crap out of little kids I missed it.

PS - I googled a bit. Apparently Tales of My Mother Goose was first published in 1695 (see below). (or 1697 in another entry I saw) I don't know if the version in my book is exactly as Perrault first wrote it. However my book does say it includes the entire stories so in theory they would not have removed the part at the end about the woodcutter saving red and grandma. It seems more likely the woodcutter was added later to soften the story so little kids wouldn't cry and s**t themselves.

"The initiator of the literary fairy tale genre, Charles Perrault, published in 1695 under the name of his son a collection of fairy tales Histoires ou contes du temps passés, avec des moralités, which grew better known under its subtitle, "Contes de ma mère l'Oye" or "Tales of my Mother Goose". Perrault's publication marks the first authenticated starting-point for Mother Goose stories."

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff