Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,075 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Explorer 100
redface I know I might get a lot of hate for this and I have kind of looked around but what exactly is a fractured fairy tale?
is it just the basic concept fairy tale (like Snow White or Cinderella) and then a story written by someone that is just loosely based on it (if that makes sense)?
if so, wouldn't most of our stories and concepts today be a (very) fractured fairy tale?? except for like sci fi, but even then....
anyways...please don't too much.
This is what I said in another thread, I could be wrong though:

Quote:
To me, the meaning is a fairytale but one that is not like normal fairytales and has dark elements to it.

8,075 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Explorer 100
hmmm interesting....

Girl-Crazy Marshmallow

It's a riff off of known fairy tales. Rocky & Bullwinkle had a segment with the title Fractured Fairy Tales which were pretty close to the originals but would take a turn for the silly. There are several movies coming out this year (and in the past few years) based on fairy tales but with more serious or dark tones to the retelling.

Some examples you may be familiar with would be "The True Story of the Three Little Pigs" (which is from another perspective, with unreliable narrator) or the collection of stories "The Stinky Cheese Man" (which mostly are different because they totally change an element).

This forum appears to be including other, less silly takes, as well, so that would be things like the movies Ever After & Snow White and the Huntsman or the comic Fables.

Or, to take one story, you could have Cinderella, The Rough Face Girl, Ella Enchanted, Ever After & Confessions of an Ugly Step Sister, and so on, by putting the story in a different culture, modern times, setting it historically, telling it from someone else's perspective and so on.

The difference is that it's still obviously riffing off of the story, while Generic Teenage RomCom 72 is just following the same arc without necessarily keeping direct parallels.
I thought the title came from Rocky & Bullwinkle too

I was also just thinking the past while why is there this sudden surge of so many fairytale themed dramas on television (and film) question confused Where did it start. Now they got a thread for it

Colorful Cultist

la balena

I was also just thinking the past while why is there this sudden surge of so many fairytale themed dramas on television (and film) question confused Where did it start. Now they got a thread for it

I honestly don't know. I heard about Once Upon a Time and Grimm on the same day. The tales had been around for a while. Brothers Grimm has been around for a while...

I think it started with the making of Disney's Tangled, which is a spin off of the well known story of Rapunzel. It did decently, TV stations caught onto that and decided to do something like that by making Once Upon a Time and Grimm.

Sweetheart

18,425 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
la balena
I thought the title came from Rocky & Bullwinkle too

I think it's just another fad like witches then vampires were all the thing for a while. I think it started with Alice.

Generous Citizen

5,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Nerd 50
Oh so that's what it means!
Pinque Von Fluffendorken
I think it's just another fad like witches then vampires were all the thing for a while. I think it started with Alice.
Can you post a link to Alice?

Romantic Shapeshifter

9,675 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
I believe that fractured fairy tales is a term that refers to fairy tales that have begun to retake their more darker origins. If you take just the stories by the Brothers Grimm you will find that for the most part their stories where originally legends from around Germany and the local areas. These stories where hardly ever happy as they where originally akin to stories such as the Boogieman. With the times the stories evolve from warnings and dark tales to become more cheerful and happy. Disney does nothing to help this situation. With each new Disney movie released, original meanings of fairy tales are being corrupted to become more pleasant for children. I mean take the whole Tinkerbell issue. She is a Fairy, or Pixie. Originally these creatures where not something that travelers wanted to run into. They where mean tricksters and delighted in tormenting folk. Now if some one mentions Fairy or Pixie the first thing that comes to mind is a Tinkerbell like image of light and happiness.

8,075 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Explorer 100
wow...thanks guys....great info! I guess I did know but didn't know what it was exactly called and didn't even know it had a name had like a following...does it? I sure like them. I love reading, fairy tales especially and i love things that are based off fairy tales!

Sweetheart

18,425 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
la balena
Pinque Von Fluffendorken
Can you post a link to Alice?

I meant Alice In Wonderland...all the changing it up with America McGee and then Tim Burton's rendition of it.

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
It's usually just a retelling of a Fairy Tale.

Originally it was a twist or a change added to the original or most well known version of a Fairy Tale.

Now pretty much any Fairy Tale you see has become Fractured so every one is a Fractured Fairy Tale *dies*

Junior Explorer

5,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
The story that uses the original characters, locations, action and plot from the fairy tales you know and change them.Princess and the Pea, Jack and the bean stalk,Wolf who shouted boy and so on. exclaim

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff