Welcome to Gaia! ::

cuddlebrat
Spirited Away is about child prostitution.
WHAT?!!

5,200 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
OP, Totoro isn't a shinigami, he is supposed to be a troll. "Totoro" is a mispronunciation of the Japanese word for "troll", which is explained in multiple interviews with Miyazaki, and all but spelled out in the Japanese script when Mei is reading a book about trolls and mispronounces it as "Totoro".

Also, it should be mentioned that the word "Shinigami" and the concept of a god of death is a relatively new word to the Japanese language, and relatively new concept and addition to Japanese folklore.

cuddlebrat
Yeah I'm pretty sure the Totoro stuff is crap but Spirited Away is about child prostitution. So don't be disappointed OP.

I can see how someone might come to that conclusion, but that's pretty off the mark. Sen works in a bath house, not a brothel, and isn't meant to have much contact with the guests.
You know, I find that more interesting than I do disturbing.
And it doesn't really strike me as too much of a surprise.
There are tons of children's stories out there that have darker underlying messages and meanings.

Fatcat

14,440 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Object of Affection 150
TeknologikPanik
You know, I find that more interesting than I do disturbing.
And it doesn't really strike me as too much of a surprise.
There are tons of children's stories out there that have darker underlying messages and meanings.

I find the dark side of the story really interesting and entertaining =u= cuz life just ain't perfect
totoro along with every other Miyazaki movie is made for the kids if you do not think like a kid do not act like you understand Miyazaki's movies

Fatcat

14,440 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
blood toni
totoro along with every other Miyazaki movie is made for the kids if you do not think like a kid do not act like you understand Miyazaki's movies

Disney movies are also made for the kids. Yet there are many perverted hidden scenes...

1,350 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Gaian 50
Blue J Neko
Do you really want to know? I swear it would change your whole perspective of EVERYTHING. So if you don't want your beautiful view on the cute happy story to be crushed, dont read on. Serriously.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I like totoro wink

Fatcat

14,440 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
shizuka jozuna
Blue J Neko
Do you really want to know? I swear it would change your whole perspective of EVERYTHING. So if you don't want your beautiful view on the cute happy story to be crushed, dont read on. Serriously.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I like totoro wink

I love totoro emotion_donotwant

6,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
As insainly creepy as that other story supposedly relating to it is, even if its true, does a shinigami (japanese death god) really have to be all that bad and creepy to begin with? Sure its a god of death and it takes away your soul and everything, but that doesnt mean its some scary monster. Simply a mythical creature who delivers souls to their afterlife.

It would even make more sense that a shinigami would be cute and cuddly to help calm the deseased soul
heart

All and all, still glad theres a good chance that story isnt true though.. I havent actually seen totoro yet but ive been learning one of the theme songs on my guitar and I was planning on seeing it soon. Dont want some creepy tale to close my otherwise open mindedness about a movie while Im just starting it..

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff