Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dedicated Bibliophile

10,000 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Bookworm 100
What is Fractured with Romeo and Juliet (to try to fit it into the topic,) is the idea that it is a romance. It was written as a warning. The full title is The Most Excellent and Lamentable Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet. Lamentable being a key word. But because of miss-remembered and adapted versions, it is held as the Best Love Story Ever, which it is really nothing of the sort.

And because it is remembered as a love story, the phrase "star-crossed" gets twisted around to mean that two people were destined to be together regardless of how the world tries to keep them apart, when it reality it meant the opposite: two people who were never supposed to be together that do so anyway and disaster happens. Which is where we get 'disaster." It means "bad star" and is an astrological term for "stay the hell away from each other." Thus it is fractured.

Oh, and like the best of Shakespeare, it wasn't original. He took The Tragical History of Romeus and Juliet and made it brilliant and no one knows Arthur Brooke from Adam.

Because that was how Billy rolled.

Dangerous Lunatic

8,650 Points
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Marathon 300
B Banzai
What is Fractured with Romeo and Juliet (to try to fit it into the topic,) is the idea that it is a romance. It was written as a warning. The full title is The Most Excellent and Lamentable Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet. Lamentable being a key word. But because of miss-remembered and adapted versions, it is held as the Best Love Story Ever, which it is really nothing of the sort.

And because it is remembered as a love story, the phrase "star-crossed" gets twisted around to mean that two people were destined to be together regardless of how the world tries to keep them apart, when it reality it meant the opposite: two people who were never supposed to be together that do so anyway and disaster happens. Which is where we get 'disaster." It means "bad star" and is an astrological term for "stay the hell away from each other." Thus it is fractured.

Oh, and like the best of Shakespeare, it wasn't original. He took The Tragical History of Romeus and Juliet and made it brilliant and no one knows Arthur Brooke from Adam.

Because that was how Billy rolled.

B Banzai- dishing out the kind of logical attacks that could baffle an AI processor.

We can't ever really know for sure who wrote and made it, but you are right about the phrase, "star-crossed." It is sad that the original story has been messed with so much to where more than half of the title is gone or has been replaced. I think it isn't so much as fractured, but rearranged after it has been fractured.
i love romeo and juliet!!! <3

5,200 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
While I wouldn't consider it a fairy tale, there have been some really interesting versions and re-tellings of it. However, at it's core it's just a tragic and ridiculous story about some pre-pubescent kids who, over the course of a few days, decide they can't live without each other and get themselves--and other people around them--wrapped up in their selfishness and foolishness, and ultimately die. Not to mention, due to their antics, they get other people killed as well.

Ladykiller

5,150 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Consumer 100
Romeo and Juliet may not be fairytale, but it sure is fractured.
I agree with you!
romeo and juliet??? ok, when i was a little girl and hadn't read the story, i was ended up with the words of seniors; oh how romantic?! but when i read that romance/ tragic, i had no reason why they call it romance or tragedy. what i think is... it is a story of two teens with teenlove, which burns brightly and dies easily and quickly. if they meets a little more and their families aren't rivals, then they can even break up. after all, romeo just was with juliet for she was shining brighter than Roseline don't think this can lead to forever. i've been always thinking that if it was a play by someone else, then it would not be that famous

Blessed Gaian

9,125 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Grunny Grabber 50
I know I don't like tragedies, but at least Romeo and Juliet die together because these two star-crossed lovers will be together for eternity.
xToxicRainbowss
To all people who think Romeo an juliet was romantic, its a story about a 13 y/o and a 17 y/o having a 3 day relationship that ended in 6 deaths.

Damn, you beat me to it.

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
My reaction to this thread:

User Image

User Image

Amateur Sleuth

9,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Threadmaster 200
OtakuJeannie
kaylacupcake6868
i think the story of Romeo & Juliet is very Romantic and Sweet. heart

Can I ask what's so romantic about rushing into marrage before you even really get to know the other person, dealing with family issues, killing yourself and causing your loved ones no end of greif for a rush of lust is?

^Couldnt have said it better myself.

This is not a romance, its a Tragedy. And the entire thing is set up as a warning of what NOT to do. Even the last lines warn that this story is not okay, its not to be repeated and definitely not to be thought of fondly.

Last lines:
"Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Juliet and her Romeo."

More than anything it was a messed up story of where rash decisions and feuds can land you. These two families were so caught up in their own politics and violence that they lost their children.

"Where be these enemies? Capulet! Montague!
See, what a scourge is laid upon your hate,
That heaven finds means to kill your joys with love.
And I for winking at your discords too
Have lost a brace of kinsmen: all are punish'd."
i think they had more time than they think they did.

Dominant Lover

13,075 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
This was the most boring play I've ever read in my life. It's far from his best work as this one bored me to tears. I've read it both in play format and in novel format... both bored me. The whole "love story" was unbelievable since it takes place within a time frame of about a week between a fourteen year old girl and a sixteen year old boy. It was more lust than anything else mixed in with copious amounts of stupidity on both parties. PARENTS! THIS IS WHY YOU NEED TO PAY MORE ATTENTION TO YOUR KIDS.

I enjoyed "Hamlet" and "A Midsummer Night's Dream " far more than this.

Fashionable Sex Symbol

Prythe
xToxicRainbowss
To all people who think Romeo an juliet was romantic, its a story about a 13 y/o and a 17 y/o having a 3 day relationship that ended in 6 deaths.

Damn, you beat me to it.

Hahaha sorry

Fashionable Explorer

6,400 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Romeo and Juliet is not a fairytale. It's a Shakespearian tragedy. But in any case, I agree that it is probobly one of his worst despite being one of his most popular. The characters are, to say the least, idiotic teenagers who mistake lust for love and then throw their lives away for nothing. However, the side characters are fantastic. wink

10,800 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Trick or Treat 100
I think that Romeo and Juliet didn't really express love that much and they only knew each other for what a couple hours before they got married? I thought that was just stupid. mad

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff