Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eloquent Informer

The main character is not the dwarf in mine. The main character is the miller's daughter who is thrown into circumstances beyond her control. She is arrested, tortured, and used. She is forced into a marriage with someone far above her social class and is thrust into a world of etiquette and ritual that she doesn't understand or have any experience with, ending up living a breath away from disaster. Somehow she manages to navigate all of this.

To me, she's always been the interesting character, and yet in the story she doesn't even have a name. So what's the significance of that? What's the significance of us only knowing the name of the character whose name could not be known? How do we know that name, but not the names of the king, the miller, the miller's daughter, or the infant prince? How do we know what we know?

Invisible Gaian

16,100 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
faretheewell

User Image My master is everything to me...

You have an amazing mind. And yes, I have noticed that in the original tale, the miller's daughter is called, well, the miller's daughter! xd She didn't have a name...when she's supposed to have one because she the protagonist(though not the main character, the main character, acts as the antagonist in the end, right?).
You really have a good point there.

...I hope I am everything for him too.

Eloquent Informer

Which depends on the definition of "main character" but yes. In my story the character who drives the action, the character who is the focus of the story, and the protagonist is embodied in the miller's daughter.

EDIT: Along the lines of the question of how we know what we know, I find something very interesting in this conversation. In what you have expressed to me I can see that you have decided that in order to "twist" a fairy tale one must change the narrative structure, but that the role of the characters needs to stay static. On the other hand, I enjoy subverting the role of the characters, but I keep the overall narrative. How do we know these rules for revising fairy tales?

Fluffy Bunny

8,950 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
faretheewell
EDIT: Along the lines of the question of how we know what we know, I find something very interesting in this conversation. In what you have expressed to me I can see that you have decided that in order to "twist" a fairy tale one must change the narrative structure, but that the role of the characters needs to stay static. On the other hand, I enjoy subverting the role of the characters, but I keep the overall narrative. How do we know these rules for revising fairy tales?

Well, if you revise them too much you end up losing your initial intention: to retell a traditional story. If core elements of the story and characters are both changed, then can it really be called a retelling? Is it not then an original piece of work? (What I mean by original is that you are using nothing/very little of the traditional story)

Rei Akira-Chan

Unfortunately it's not online XD It's still very much a WIP anyway

Eloquent Informer

Rangeri
Well, if you revise them too much you end up losing your initial intention: to retell a traditional story. If core elements of the story and characters are both changed, then can it really be called a retelling? Is it not then an original piece of work? (What I mean by original is that you are using nothing/very little of the traditional story)

What I meant was that I noticed how you reacted to both my revelation that I wasn't changing the general narrative ("so, what's the twist then?" wink and that the main character in my story was not Rumplestiltskein ("but how does that work?" wink . In this conversation it seems that what you know about revising fairytales is that one needs to twist the plot, but not the characters. And my question is: why do you know that?

Invisible Gaian

16,100 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
faretheewell

Rangeri

To me,faretheewell isn't revising too much. Her plot is following the original's. But what I don't understand is that how can she still call it the story of "Rumpelstilskin", if the dwarf isn't the center? ^^ Awww...Rangeri's story sounded interesting, too.
I don't know how I found out about these things. I knew how to revise fairy tales even before my english teacher taught us to make one. xDD But adding and changing a character's personality is okay, as long as it does not affect the plot. If it does, and the direction is going to a comedy, it'll be labeled as a parody, am I correct? And if it leads to a main character's death, a tragedy. ^^ But, will it still be a revised version of the tale, or will it be an original work? xd

nice biggrin

Invisible Gaian

16,100 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
hallysweet
nice biggrin

Thanks. ^^ But my mind won't work and I can't finish my own story immediately. gonk

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces