Welcome to Gaia! ::

Toothsome Prophet

10,100 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Nerd 50
wora3000
i'll be honest, the original jack and the beanstock and puss in boots are fabulous to me.

Puss in Boots is actually tied with the Pied Piper as my all-time favorite fairytale, but since there's technically a movie about it I decided not to include it in my list.

Have you ever heard of Jack the Giantkiller? It was the same Jack in the version I know and it is infinitely more disturbing. biggrin

Truthful Seeker

RookQueen
Hajimeilosukna
Anyone know Bearskinner or Iron Hans? o.o

I WAS JUST READING IRON HANS!!!! o.o (on my ipod, heh heh)

hahahaha *high fives* Awesome. Do you like it or did you just recently come across it?

Aekea Pirate

11,900 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Elocutionist 200
I might be wrong but I didn't think 'East of the Sun West of the Moon' was that obscure. At least here on Gaia since we have that item even though the description seems way off (as in someone just read the title and went with it). And I just wanted to know if anyone ever saw the semi- movie adaption "The Polar Bear King"?

I have to thank books and Jim Henson's The Story Teller for teaching me so many obscure fairy tales.

Genius

Maybe I'm bias but I will always love Cossack Fairy tales.

http://books.google.com/books?id=b7wiAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

The names and spelling are far out of date but you still get the basic ideas.

7,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Voter 100
The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen.
Epic, epic story. xD

Toothsome Prophet

10,100 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Nerd 50
Lady Bern
I might be wrong but I didn't think 'East of the Sun West of the Moon' was that obscure. At least here on Gaia since we have that item even though the description seems way off (as in someone just read the title and went with it). And I just wanted to know if anyone ever saw the semi- movie adaption "The Polar Bear King"?

I have to thank books and Jim Henson's The Story Teller for teaching me so many obscure fairy tales.

Maybe it's just me? No one I've ever met has heard of it before, although it does seem like it's a popular one on Gaia. biggrin

4,900 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
I'm not sure if this counts as a Fairy Tale, and I don't remember the name of it...

I read a story about a girl who was so beautiful she was tricked into getting severe burns on her face, does anyone know what I'm talking about? I'd like to know the name of it.

7,650 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Contributor 150
I just remembered my all-time favourite! It was The Nightinggale one I always thought it was really good

Phanes108's Significant Otter

Demonic Streaker

18,675 Points
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
  • Daring Investigator 50
  • Canny Agent 50
emotion_facepalm Ok....
1. DISNEY changes every story they make a movie of.
2. Most of the ones they picked, were Grimm's and, if you know ANYTHING about them. The stories are so far more macabre than little kids would be able to handle without nightmares. Disney beautified everything...

On that note... I like celtic fairytales~

Toothsome Prophet

10,100 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Nerd 50
Thrice Bitten
emotion_facepalm Ok....
2. Most of the ones they picked, were Grimm's and, if you know ANYTHING about them. The stories are so far more macabre than little kids would be able to handle without nightmares. Disney beautified everything...

Believe me I am well aware of how Disney has altered their movie plots.

I disagree, I read the original Grimms stories all the time when I was little and liked them better than the Disney versions. Kids are way more into macabre than you'd think- some of them anyway.

Toothsome Prophet

10,100 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Nerd 50
RookQueen
I just remembered my all-time favourite! It was The Nightinggale one I always thought it was really good

Oh that story's beautiful.

Aekea Pirate

11,900 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Elocutionist 200
Thrice Bitten
emotion_facepalm Ok....

On that if I had to chose I'd take a Disney version over the Barbie movies. I like Barbie, I think she's a great doll for kids in comparison to Bratz (just about anything is better than the Bratz in my mind). But the movies that they make for her... I want to choke the writers.

Metal Gear Ginger
I'm not sure if this counts as a Fairy Tale, and I don't remember the name of it...

I read a story about a girl who was so beautiful she was tricked into getting severe burns on her face, does anyone know what I'm talking about? I'd like to know the name of it.

The only story I can think of is 'The Rough Face Girl'.

4,900 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Lady Bern
Thrice Bitten
emotion_facepalm Ok....

On that if I had to chose I'd take a Disney version over the Barbie movies. I like Barbie, I think she's a great doll for kids in comparison to Bratz (just about anything is better than the Bratz in my mind). But the movies that they make for her... I want to choke the writers.

Metal Gear Ginger

The only story I can think of is 'The Rough Face Girl'.

Ah, yay, that's the story :'D Thanks

Angel cora's Significant Otter

Romantic Hunter

shadowfoot
I love The Goose Girl. I'm glad to see so many people mention it. I like the Arabian Nights Tales as well. Then there are Andrew Lang's Fairy Books and Josheph Jacob's collection of Irish fairy tales like The Children of Lir. There are so many neat and pretty scary tales that people have never heard of like A Smile as Red as Blood.

For those who want to read Donkey Cabbages: http://classiclit.about.com/library/bl-etexts/grimm/bl-grimm-donkeycabbages.htm

You've also read/hierd A Smile as Red as Blood i love that tail!!!!!!

Enigmatic Shapeshifter

Lady Bern

I loved The Story Teller. I have all the stories on DVD. I also loved Fairy Tale Theater and the other fairy tale shows that were on. There was one on Nickelodean that was actually a Japanese Anime series of fairy tale adaptations that they translated to English. I'd love to find copies of those.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff