Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
annabelle bluehill
Ishilied
Snow White and Rose Red by Patricia C Wrede is one of my faves (and most of the other Tor fairy tale series books).

As is Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley.

I have a lot of fairy tale books, original, anthology, retold, etc...

Robin McKinley is great. Did you know she also did a Sleeping Beauty one?
I think Robin McKinley loves 'Beauty and the Beast' alot. She did another book called 'Beauty;' it's a stand alone, no connection to 'Rose Daughter,' though you could find a few common threads. AND she wrote my favorite, called 'Sunshine.' It's a modern re-telling of 'B&B,' and the common threads are very obscure. Someone tell me they've read 'Sunshine!'
annabelle bluehill
Ishilied
Snow White and Rose Red by Patricia C Wrede is one of my faves (and most of the other Tor fairy tale series books).

Yes, yes I did. And another Beauty and the Beast one. And didn't she do Deerskin too (an adaptation of Donkeyskin)?

Eloquent Informer

I read a fantastic version of Tam Lin years ago. It added a lot to the poem, and made the heroine into someone I could really relate to. It was an illustrated book with, as I recall, some great art. Can I remember what it was called or who it was by? Unfortunately no. I really want to find it again.

Tipsy Bibliophile

8,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Bookworm 100
I love Faerie tales, so I may have a bit of a list for you. smile Most of these are older, so you should be able to pick them up used as well.

Tanith Lee's White as Snow is excellent, combining Snow White with the myth of Demeter and Persephone. Lee is just excellent in general.

Snow White, Blood Red; Black Thorn, White Rose; Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears; Black Swan, White Raven; Silver Birch, Blood Moon; and Back Heart, Ivory Bones. These are all short story anthologies edited by Terri Windling and Ellen Datlow. They are all very good, and some of the best story tellers you will find.

Almost anything by Terri Windling, who is one of my heroes, is going to be fantastic. Besides her editing and own novels, she does a lot of non-fiction essays on the power of fairy tales and myths as well. All of them are worth seeking out.

Ooops, break is over! Hope that helps.

Moonlight Healer

9,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Healer 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
1blackblah
annabelle bluehill
Ishilied

I think Robin McKinley loves 'Beauty and the Beast' alot. She did another book called 'Beauty;' it's a stand alone, no connection to 'Rose Daughter,' though you could find a few common threads. AND she wrote my favorite, called 'Sunshine.' It's a modern re-telling of 'B&B,' and the common threads are very obscure. Someone tell me they've read 'Sunshine!'

I have! I love the descriptions of the bakery and such near the beginning, and the idea of sunshine-based magic.

Moonlight Healer

9,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Healer 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Ishilied
annabelle bluehill
Ishilied

Yes, yes I did. And another Beauty and the Beast one. And didn't she do Deerskin too (an adaptation of Donkeyskin)?

Ooh, if she has, that's one of hers I haven't read. I'll look for it!

Sparkly Prophet

The World is Cruel, My Daughter, a creepy short story based on Rapunzel.

I also like Cameron Dokey's retellings. My favorite of them is called Belle.

8,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
annabelle bluehill
Ishilied
annabelle bluehill
Ishilied

Ooh, if she has, that's one of hers I haven't read. I'll look for it!
I was just thinking about Robin McKinley's books and what I've read (I never got to Deerskin, and I can't recall Spindle's End), and I had an epiphany- her novel "Chalice" could be considered another version of "B&B!!" eek
I didn't notice this before, and I've loved that story almost as much as "Sunshine;"
Anasui
I will be honest with you, I really loved the movie Ever After because of it's approach of retelling The Little Cinder Girl.
That's one of my favorite all time movies to watch emotion_bigheart emotion_bigheart emotion_bigheart .
ALICE IN HORROR LAND!
whee whee whee whee whee whee whee whee pirate

Generous Genius

7,500 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
  • Generous 100
If it's ok I like to say Beauty and the Beast because I liked the beginning and the end of it sweatdrop
My favorites are Spindles End and Beauty By Robin McKinley and Entwined by Heather Dixon
I will absolutely agree with you that "Snow, Glass, Apples" is a wonderful story.
As far as my favorite goes, there is a four volume comic series called "Nightmares and Fairy Tales" written by Serena Valentino with various artists. While not all of the stories are re-telling of fairy tales, there are very unique renditions of "Red Riding Hood", "Beauty and The Beast", "Snow White", "Cinderella". As well as versions that I would call more based off than re-telling of "The Little Mermaid" and "Sleeping Beauty", although they are not officially listed as such.
snowhite and belle and the beast

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces