Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you think happy endings are over-rated?

Yes 0.27237354085603 27.2% [ 70 ]
No 0.3579766536965 35.8% [ 92 ]
Kinda.... 0.36964980544747 37.0% [ 95 ]
Total Votes:[ 257 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Dedicated Entrepreneur

17,025 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
I find the whole, "and they lived happily ever after" to be a tad too convenient. lol Not that I think everything needs to be misery, but sometimes these HEA tales have you going, "Oh, come ON!". rofl

Versatile Wrangler

Some of the original fairy tales actually didn't have happy endings. They got modified to be more child friendly somewhere along the line...

Shapeshifter

9,900 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Team Jacob 100
leo hime san
I find the whole, "and they lived happily ever after" to be a tad too convenient. lol Not that I think everything needs to be misery, but sometimes these HEA tales have you going, "Oh, come ON!". rofl

3nodding

Fashionable Nerd

5,250 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • First step to fame 200
I Electra I
vLaineLlodavi
I Electra I
vLaineLlodavi
Sakura_angel92
I personally think that happy endings are over-rated... but they're fairy tales and not real life so what can you expect? yum_strawberry

i agree with you . yum_puddi

They give false-hopes.

totally . yum_puddi

Like if you ask a kid,who do you want to be like when your older? They reply something like a princess! It doesn't fix with reality,as it is made up,and when they realise they are like crying

yah . they will just make the kids cry in the end. i was drawn to that false reality before and i don't like it .

Aged Regular

I like the no win endings. like sucker punch actually.
I think they're good in a story when you find a happy medium. It's common to find in a reader that they WANT a happy ending, but along with it, they want one that's believable :/ So, when you have the combination of those two elements, it's quite nice. A little hope, a little smile.
Deadly Nonchalance
Some of the original fairy tales actually didn't have happy endings. They got modified to be more child friendly somewhere along the line...

More or less.

Also, there is room for interpretation, even in fairy tales. What does a 'happy ending' entail, precisely, and for whom? After all, there is a vast difference between: "The wicked queen was banished, and Snow White married the prince and lived happily ever." and "Snow White got revenge upon her stepmother by forcing her to dance herself to death in red-hot iron shoes, then married the prince and lived happily after, presumably while her subjects ignored the fact that her first act as queen was a vindictive and sadistic execution."
Aww, nooo! They're not overrated at all!! If I wanted sad endings I would pay more attention to life and none to fairy tales... wink
I believe in happy endings 4laugh
Happy endings are far too convenient an end. I want to know what happened AFTER the story. What really happened? How did they live "happily ever after"? What did they do, somehow make a happy potion or something so they were never unhappy? Did they travel? Did they ever argue? Now that's a story I wanna read, "The Divorce of Cinderella and Prince Charming." If nothing else, fairy tales should have some inkling of reality. The Brothers Grimm did just that, in a more gruesome way, but it taught a lesson, like "don't break into someone's house" like with Goldilocks and the Three Bears.

Shapeshifter

9,900 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Team Jacob 100
sweeneytodd98
In the end, don't you always want there to be a happy ending?

I like cliff hangers.
They let you choose what happens.

Shapeshifter

9,900 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Prythe
Happy endings are far too convenient an end. I want to know what happened AFTER the story. What really happened? How did they live "happily ever after"? What did they do, somehow make a happy potion or something so they were never unhappy? Did they travel? Did they ever argue? Now that's a story I wanna read, "The Divorce of Cinderella and Prince Charming." If nothing else, fairy tales should have some inkling of reality. The Brothers Grimm did just that, in a more gruesome way, but it taught a lesson, like "don't break into someone's house" like with Goldilocks and the Three Bears.

Totally agree! 3nodding

Shapeshifter

9,900 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Captain of the Clouds
Aww, nooo! They're not overrated at all!! If I wanted sad endings I would pay more attention to life and none to fairy tales... wink

Lol at "if I wanted sad endings I would pay more attention to life"!
No but they are rare
I think happy endings are a bit over-rated.

I personally find bitter-sweet endings to be my preference.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff