Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you think happy endings are over-rated?

Yes 0.27237354085603 27.2% [ 70 ]
No 0.3579766536965 35.8% [ 92 ]
Kinda.... 0.36964980544747 37.0% [ 95 ]
Total Votes:[ 257 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Enduring Warlord

10,700 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Trader 100
It is great that a happy ending happens but...sometimes it sort of does gets over rated. 3nodding

Dangerous Shapeshifter

6,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Millionaire 200

Shapeshifter

9,900 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Reaper_Virus
http://youtu.be/oCSdLtNZbaA

Linkin Park- Numb heart

7,250 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
I like a good happy end, but at the same time they get kind of old. Just once in a Fairy tales lets just say everyone died, or the guy don't get the girl, or the girl don't get the guy.

Shapeshifter

9,900 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Team Jacob 100
betty_baby_22
I like a good happy end, but at the same time they get kind of old. Just once in a Fairy tales lets just say everyone died, or the guy don't get the girl, or the girl don't get the guy.

cat_3nodding

6,900 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Member 100
I just love a good sad ending with tragedy and death and mutilation... But we're talking fairy tales here so happy is fine too! sweatdrop
Sometimes ya bc they are always happy ending I think they should have an alternate ending

Hilarious Explorer

6,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Friendly 100
I love happy endings!
i like happy endings , BUT in real life there is not always a happy ending confused , si i think they should be more realistic
wink i like happy endings

Magical Star

11,700 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
I like bittersweet endings, happiness should be earned.

That said, an ending is simply where the author stopped writing (or making things up).
im fine with a happy ending i mean if everyone just died there wouldnt be much of a story
but happy endings do make fairy tails very predictable so why not make the ending happy and yet unexpected 3nodding

Heroic Hunter

10,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
sweeneytodd98
In the end, don't you always want there to be a happy ending?
Um, says a person whose username relates to "Sweeny Todd"?! sweatdrop
That story is actually kind of a classic example of a great story that DOES NOT have a 'happily ever after' ending, and is better for it. Sometimes the story is not meant to end well, beause of the nature of the message it's trying to convey. If they had tried to make everything work out well in the end, it would have
A) made no sense, and
B) undermined the entire social commentary of the story.

If well written, a happy ending is great, but in some cases, it just doesn't work, and I agree that the fairytale ending is usually a complete op-out on the writer's part... basially, it's just trailing the story off beause they didn't know how to end it.

Heroic Hunter

10,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Gigi Deveraux
I like bittersweet endings, happiness should be earned.

That said, an ending is simply where the author stopped writing (or making things up).

Agreed. I actually am alright with a character dying FOR A PURPOSE. If their death aomplishes something meaningful, saves someone else, or makes a happy ending possible for the others, then I an find it sad, but still love the story. However, I have seen some cases of characters pretty much being killed off purely for the sympathy vote, and that irritates me.

One of my favorite anime series ended terribly:
It's the last episode, a couple characters have already died in the process of achieving the victory against the main villian, and the fight is over. At the VERY end of the last episode, a main character gets murdered while WALKING DOWN THE STREET. He dies, bleeding on the sidewalk while people walk past him and do nothing, and then the credits roll. The end. WTF gonk

Rainbow Lover

I enjoy a good happy ending, but when people don't learn anything from the story, I think no happy ending is in store.

I really dislike it when people then complain about sad endings. For example, I've seen a few people b***h about the ending of the animated movie "The Last Unicorn."

Y DIDN'T THE WIZARD JUST TURN HER BACK INTO A HUMAN?! WHINEWHINE IT'S NOT FAIIIIIIR COMPLAINCOMPLAIN.

Well, who ever told you life was fair? The unicorn was not turned back into a human because THAT WAS NOT THE UNICORN'S GOAL for the entire movie. It wouldn't be fair to the unicorn would it? The human side of her that developed was never really "HER." Besides that being human rather than a powerful magical creature? Uhm, no. Humans don't live very long and unicorns live forever. Being a human SUCKS. Why the ******** would she want to go human again when faced with that?

Anyway, to my point. If people only see happy endings, they get the message that life is full of them. People won't LEARN there are heart breaks and disappointments. They'll just always be sitting around waiting for that "Prince Charming" to come and save them.

This is why I like sad endings WITH a lesson. Like the original Little Mermaid. She dies, but she's not punished for her efforts.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff