Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you think happy endings are over-rated?

Yes 0.27237354085603 27.2% [ 70 ]
No 0.3579766536965 35.8% [ 92 ]
Kinda.... 0.36964980544747 37.0% [ 95 ]
Total Votes:[ 257 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Beloved Sex Symbol

6,350 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Generous 100
Heck yes! Like in The last Harry Potter Movie Harry like lives, grows old, has kids, gets married and I'm like "WHAT!? YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO DIE!" Not that I wanted him to... I just expected he would.

Amateur Sleuth

9,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Threadmaster 200
When it comes to fairy tales and stories, Definitely!!
I have to admit my favorite fairy tales are the ones that are extremely sad at the end. Little Mermaid, Rapunzel, and Briar Rose. heart

I always find myself really sad after reading Little Mermaid - even as an adult. Just because it feels so unfair that she went through all of that pain and heartache for love, just to lose it. Her courage and the only choice left to her...

Rapunzel made me cry as a kid no matter how many times my mom read it. Though it can be called a bittersweet ending. Prince is blind but they still end up together. And the witch dies, which is a +

Sleeping Beauty... I can't imagine how she felt, waking up in a different century/millenium (depending on the version), realizing that everyone she knew was long dead. I don't know how I would cope with that kind of loneliness. ( Ignoring the really screwed up version for the sake of this discussion where she wakes up to childbirth bc she was raped)

Amateur Sleuth

9,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Threadmaster 200
In general, I love them both.

As long as the happy ending isn't predictable. And you can't see ahead of time how things could possibly work out - then its wonderful!

Sad endings are great too. It really takes a lot to have any story, book or movie make you cry. It means you identify personally with the characters. It makes sad endings really special. I love being on the last page of a book and sobbing my eyes out with kleenex and not able to put it down til I know for sure how it all goes down.

Shapeshifter

9,900 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Team Jacob 100
IX Odysseia IX
In general, I love them both.

As long as the happy ending isn't predictable. And you can't see ahead of time how things could possibly work out - then its wonderful!

Sad endings are great too. It really takes a lot to have any story, book or movie make you cry. It means you identify personally with the characters. It makes sad endings really special. I love being on the last page of a book and sobbing my eyes out with kleenex and not able to put it down til I know for sure how it all goes down.

3nodding

Invisible Genius

I Electra I
Sakura_angel92
I personally think that happy endings are over-rated... but they're fairy tales and not real life so what can you expect? yum_strawberry

But why do all fairy tales have happy endings,they could be just amusing with a twist.

read the grim fariy tales they are the origional fairy tales before disney got ahold of them and made them all hapy ending. Where the bad guy dies or dissaprears or ends up living happliy ever after. I mean like in disney's practiclly everyone has a happy ending life is not that way. So why get little kids thinking that everyone lives happliy ever after. If that was the case then no one would be homeless, there would be no illness, no death, no war. Now some of these are entirly impossible, so why let little kids think that?
In my Lit classes this year, we talked about something called Meta-fiction. For those who don't know, it's a class of stories that call attention to the fact that the story is fiction. Often times, the authors will rewrite fairy tales and put a completely different spin on them to make the reader remember that even the original is a fictional story. These stories interested me and I enjoyed them mostly because a majority of the ones we read in class didn't have happy endings, but didn't have horrible ones either, especially in this era of literature when everything that is aimed towards our generation is filled with situations where everything ends wonderfully when often times in reality it doesn't work out that way.
Basis for this post: if you're annoyed by happy endings and want something new to read, look up some meta-fictional writing. smile

Shapeshifter

9,900 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Jeanie9110
In my Lit classes this year, we talked about something called Meta-fiction. For those who don't know, it's a class of stories that call attention to the fact that the story is fiction. Often times, the authors will rewrite fairy tales and put a completely different spin on them to make the reader remember that even the original is a fictional story. These stories interested me and I enjoyed them mostly because a majority of the ones we read in class didn't have happy endings, but didn't have horrible ones either, especially in this era of literature when everything that is aimed towards our generation is filled with situations where everything ends wonderfully when often times in reality it doesn't work out that way.
Basis for this post: if you're annoyed by happy endings and want something new to read, look up some meta-fictional writing. smile

stare

Gracious Mage

8,625 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
would say that happy endings are kinda over-rated. It's not that I don't like them, it's just that they are everywere, in ALL Disney productions. Thank Godness for Grimm.

Shapeshifter

9,900 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Marie Temano
would say that happy endings are kinda over-rated. It's not that I don't like them, it's just that they are everywere, in ALL Disney productions. Thank Godness for Grimm.

3nodding

Fashionable Shopper

3,400 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
+Little.Black.Cat+
Sakura_angel92
I Electra I
Britt_the_Cemetery_Chick
I Electra I
Britt_the_Cemetery_Chick
I love happy endings. You never hear about any real life happy endings. So why would you hate on a fairytale one.

Because they are all the same "they live happily ever after"
There is no climax to be honest
I do not mind happy endings but there are too many
Maybe if the endings were different.

There are plenty of not happy endings. And the climax comes before the ending.
Not to mention. Fairy tales are meant for children mostly. Just like old school nursery rhymes. They are handed down. And who wants to end a story with a sad/angry/ gruesome ending. Its kind of like "whats the point".

I never said a sad/angry/gruesome ending.And the endings are so predictable!

I think the reason is because authors lack originality and honestly I think the whole "happily ever after" is so cliche. Maybe readers like the whole happily ever after thing because secretly they hope that they will someday have an ending like that. Personally i love stories that end in a twist but sometimes its not the ending that i was hoping for and maybe thats the reason people prefer happy endings sweatdrop

The reason that stories have "happy endings" is because a reader doesn't want to get to the end of a 400 page story to find out that their favorite character dies, or doesn't end up triumphant. It would end up being a waste of time for the reader to have gone through so much with the protagonist only to be screwed out of something good happening from all the pain and chaos of the novel. (I'm talking about actual well-written fiction stories: The Song of Wind and Fire series by George R.R. Martin, The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S Lewis, Harry Potter by J.K Rowling, even The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Not Twilight and other toilet paper.) If you're looking for books with less happy endings, I suggest reading anything by John Green, though I'd recommend starting with Looking For Alaska.
WTH DID YOU JUST SAY ABOUT TWILIGHT?!?!?!? evil stressed scream scream
While reading a book I'm really into I get upset if the ending doesn't work out! But usually when everything does end up fine I'm a little disappointed.
Can't be pleased. :[

Wheezing Cranberry

6,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Tycoon 200
Because we're talking about fairy tales, there almost always has to be a happy ending. However, mixing it up a little bit, but still making everyone happy in the end is fine too. If you take the Disney movie The Hunchback of NotreDame, it was still a happy ending, but unlike most fairy tales he didn't get the girl or anything cliche like that. Everyone was simply happy in the end.

Wealthy Sex Symbol

5,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Profitable 100
all those fairy tales are full of sh it emotion_bigvein
In fairytales every tale has a happy ending to them(excluding Grimm's fairytales)but little kids need to learn not every story ends happily some do but most dont kids need to learn the reality
california_feather
+Little.Black.Cat+
Sakura_angel92
I Electra I
Britt_the_Cemetery_Chick

There are plenty of not happy endings. And the climax comes before the ending.
Not to mention. Fairy tales are meant for children mostly. Just like old school nursery rhymes. They are handed down. And who wants to end a story with a sad/angry/ gruesome ending. Its kind of like "whats the point".

I never said a sad/angry/gruesome ending.And the endings are so predictable!

I think the reason is because authors lack originality and honestly I think the whole "happily ever after" is so cliche. Maybe readers like the whole happily ever after thing because secretly they hope that they will someday have an ending like that. Personally i love stories that end in a twist but sometimes its not the ending that i was hoping for and maybe thats the reason people prefer happy endings sweatdrop

The reason that stories have "happy endings" is because a reader doesn't want to get to the end of a 400 page story to find out that their favorite character dies, or doesn't end up triumphant. It would end up being a waste of time for the reader to have gone through so much with the protagonist only to be screwed out of something good happening from all the pain and chaos of the novel. (I'm talking about actual well-written fiction stories: The Song of Wind and Fire series by George R.R. Martin, The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S Lewis, Harry Potter by J.K Rowling, even The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Not Twilight and other toilet paper.) If you're looking for books with less happy endings, I suggest reading anything by John Green, though I'd recommend starting with Looking For Alaska.
WTH DID YOU JUST SAY ABOUT TWILIGHT?!?!?!? evil stressed scream scream

Twilight is full of bs being full of sparkly vamps that glisten in sunlight -_-

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas