Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you think happy endings are over-rated?

Yes 0.27237354085603 27.2% [ 70 ]
No 0.3579766536965 35.8% [ 92 ]
Kinda.... 0.36964980544747 37.0% [ 95 ]
Total Votes:[ 257 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Shapeshifter

9,900 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Team Jacob 100
I personally think happy endings are over-rated but usually in fairy tales there are always happy endings xp
What is your opinion?

Quotable Poster

8,650 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Citizen 200
I love happy endings. You never hear about any real life happy endings. So why would you hate on a fairytale one.
I personally think that happy endings are over-rated... but they're fairy tales and not real life so what can you expect? yum_strawberry

Shapeshifter

9,900 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Britt_the_Cemetery_Chick
I love happy endings. You never hear about any real life happy endings. So why would you hate on a fairytale one.

Because they are all the same "they live happily ever after"
There is no climax to be honest
I do not mind happy endings but there are too many
Maybe if the endings were different.

Shapeshifter

9,900 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Sakura_angel92
I personally think that happy endings are over-rated... but they're fairy tales and not real life so what can you expect? yum_strawberry

But why do all fairy tales have happy endings,they could be just amusing with a twist.

Shapeshifter

9,900 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Sakura_angel92

Like its not even fairy tales lots of movies, books end with an happy ending,they would be more interesting if the endings were different.

Btw I said "lots" not All.

Quotable Poster

8,650 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Citizen 200
I Electra I
Britt_the_Cemetery_Chick

There are plenty of not happy endings. And the climax comes before the ending.
Not to mention. Fairy tales are meant for children mostly. Just like old school nursery rhymes. They are handed down. And who wants to end a story with a sad/angry/ gruesome ending. Its kind of like "whats the point".

Shapeshifter

9,900 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Britt_the_Cemetery_Chick
I Electra I
Britt_the_Cemetery_Chick

Not to mention. Fairy tales are meant for children mostly. Just like old school nursery rhymes. They are handed down. And who wants to end a story with a sad/angry/ gruesome ending. Its kind of like "whats the point".

I never said a sad/angry/gruesome ending.And the endings are so predictable!

Quotable Poster

8,650 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Citizen 200
I Electra I
Britt_the_Cemetery_Chick
I Electra I
Britt_the_Cemetery_Chick

Okay then what is qualifies as an unhappy ending?
And yes, endings are predictable which can get rough. But life is full of unpredictability & thats the amazing power of imagination. You dont have to be realistic otherwise it wouldnt be a fairy tale.
I Electra I
Britt_the_Cemetery_Chick
I Electra I
Britt_the_Cemetery_Chick

I think the reason is because authors lack originality and honestly I think the whole "happily ever after" is so cliche. Maybe readers like the whole happily ever after thing because secretly they hope that they will someday have an ending like that. Personally i love stories that end in a twist but sometimes its not the ending that i was hoping for and maybe thats the reason people prefer happy endings sweatdrop

Shapeshifter

9,900 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Sakura_angel92
I Electra I
Britt_the_Cemetery_Chick
I Electra I
Britt_the_Cemetery_Chick

I think the reason is because authors lack originality and honestly I think the whole "happily ever after" is so cliche. Maybe readers like the whole happily ever after thing because secretly they hope that they will someday have an ending like that. Personally i love stories that end in a twist but sometimes its not the ending that i was hoping for and maybe thats the reason people prefer happy endings sweatdrop

Yeh..

Fluffy Creature

Depends on how well-written it is. I tend to prefer things that aren't extremely dark, so I usually prefer endings that are at least fairly happy, but it all depends. I think downer endings can also be overrated.
Sakura_angel92
I Electra I
Britt_the_Cemetery_Chick
I Electra I
Britt_the_Cemetery_Chick

The reason that stories have "happy endings" is because a reader doesn't want to get to the end of a 400 page story to find out that their favorite character dies, or doesn't end up triumphant. It would end up being a waste of time for the reader to have gone through so much with the protagonist only to be screwed out of something good happening from all the pain and chaos of the novel. (I'm talking about actual well-written fiction stories: The Song of Wind and Fire series by George R.R. Martin, The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S Lewis, Harry Potter by J.K Rowling, even The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Not Twilight and other toilet paper.) If you're looking for books with less happy endings, I suggest reading anything by John Green, though I'd recommend starting with Looking For Alaska.

Adored Sweetheart

10,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Regular 100
I dont mind either, happy ending or not. I like happy endings because it's something most wont get to experience in their life, not the fairy tale be saved and fall in love, etc at least. They are corny as hell but oh well
In the end, don't you always want there to be a happy ending?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff