Welcome to Gaia! ::

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Sacrificial Sandwich
The ******** wrong with Hollywood?It really pisses me off, since she was one of my favorite Disney Princesses as a kid. emotion_eyebrow

What's sort of funny about your comments is the Disney VERSION you are referring to is itself a "BF'd" version of the original story. In the original the witch leaves Snow White for dead on three different occasions (makes both the witch and Snow White seem rather dim). Then after she is 'dead' the third time and in the glass coffin the prince likes the look of her dead body so much he talks the dwarfs into letting him take her and her coffin. I'm not sure if he was into necrophilia or just had a really weird trophy room but either way wanting to take a dead body home with you is a bit out there. In the original version the prince didn't even know her before she was 'dead'. He just came along and liked the look of her dead body. Yum! smile

Man-Hungry Carnivore

19,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Tested Practitioner 250
I don't really mind them coming up with new ideas of how to interpret the story of snow white differently... HOWEVER why would Hollywood bring out TWO movies about her at the same time? It's almost as bad as when they had the whole Alice in Wonderland thing going on a while back too. Blah... And "Bella" was such a bad actress at being... well, "Bella." Twilight was a craptacular movie either way. I like a dark themed fairytale story/movie, but not when its her... *shakes head in disappointment*

Desirable Dark Elf

Mori_hime
preposterousplum
I happen to like re-imaginings of traditional stories...and after all, the Disney versions are different from the original folk tales anyway.
This. Disney didn't invent Snow White.

Agreed. I'm totally looking forward to Snow White and the Huntsmen. I'll just ignore Mirror Mirror though. 3nodding

Man-Hungry Carnivore

19,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
David2074
Sacrificial Sandwich
The ******** wrong with Hollywood?It really pisses me off, since she was one of my favorite Disney Princesses as a kid. emotion_eyebrow

What's sort of funny about your comments is the Disney VERSION you are referring to is itself a "BF'd" version of the original story. In the original the witch leaves Snow White for dead on three different occasions (makes both the witch and Snow White seem rather dim). Then after she is 'dead' the third time and in the glass coffin the prince likes the look of her dead body so much he talks the dwarfs into letting him take her and her coffin. I'm not sure if he was into necrophilia or just had a really weird trophy room but either way wanting to take a dead body home with you is a bit out there. In the original version the prince didn't even know her before she was 'dead'. He just came along and liked the look of her dead body. Yum! smile

I think I've read that version before too...and a few others. There's many different versions of Snow White, as there are with any other fairytale out there. People have interpreted them differently throughout the years and have told them differently for different reasons. Disney's version of Snow White was merely for show, for the pleasure of watching a nice story unfold, for the family to get together to watch a movie, etc. I believe the version you're talking about...well, it was just a story that was being told, to entertain, just like the disney version, though the disney version is supposed to be a more "kid-friendly" as well as being visually appealing, another aspect which the story version, that you spoke of, didn't have. Old fairytales of that sort were done orally and weren't recorded until later on as much of what was written, before stories, were more factual relating to life around them. Plus, they didn't care about things like necrophilia in stories back then, it was supposed to add effect to the story, that she was so beautiful that even in death, random wandering princes fell in love with her. Yeah, she's THAT gorgeous!.. though I was rather creeped out when I heard that part. lol sweatdrop

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
-Anon Darkness-
David2074
Sacrificial Sandwich

I think I've read that version before too...and a few others. There's many different versions of Snow White, as there are with any other fairytale out there. People have interpreted them differently throughout the years and have told them differently for different reasons. Disney's version of Snow White was merely for show, for the pleasure of watching a nice story unfold, for the family to get together to watch a movie, etc. I believe the version you're talking about...well, it was just a story that was being told, to entertain, just like the disney version, though the disney version is supposed to be a more "kid-friendly" as well as being visually appealing, another aspect which the story version, that you spoke of, didn't have. Old fairytales of that sort were done orally and weren't recorded until later on as much of what was written, before stories, were more factual relating to life around them. Plus, they didn't care about things like necrophilia in stories back then, it was supposed to add effect to the story, that she was so beautiful that even in death, random wandering princes fell in love with her. Yeah, she's THAT gorgeous!.. though I was rather creeped out when I heard that part. lol sweatdrop

It's true it might not be the oldest version. Hard to say. But it's from the 1800's and certainly predates the famous Disney movie. My point was just that probably to some Disney was the one messing with the story line when they made their version.

I was just reading a bit more about it and depending on the version either her mom died during child birth and it was her step-mother trying to kill her or in one version it was her mother trying to kill her. Either way kind of sucky. Based on conversation in another thread I was also just reading up how in the original (or at least older) Sleeping Beauty it wasn't the prince who woke her with a kiss. Instead she was raped in her sleep, went through pregnancy and birth and was awoken by one of the babies sucking on her finger. And since she went through all of that alone she probably woke up laying in a puddle of blood, afterbirth and the s**t that typically gets pushed out during the birthing process. That's a hella way to wake up when you went to sleep the young virgin maiden. And oh yeah, after she marries prince rapist her mother in law tries to eat her and the babies. "Wait children! The story time isn't over! Why are you all crying and running away?" haha!

Aged Businesswoman

12,500 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
Sacrificial Sandwich
No, really. It's getting ridiculous now. First, Once Upon a Time made her into the other woman, and now Kristen Stewart is gonna ruin her like she ruins everything she's in. To top that off, Julia Roberts is raping the evil queen as I type this! The ******** wrong with Hollywood?It really pisses me off, since she was one of my favorite Disney Princesses as a kid. emotion_eyebrow

Snow White was never one of my favorites growing up(just between you and I, it hits a little close to home), but I have to agree with you. They're just going a little crazy with all these remakes and revisions. It's getting waaaayyy out of hand emotion_donotwant

8,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Generous 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Sacrificial Sandwich
No, really. It's getting ridiculous now. First, Once Upon a Time made her into the other woman, and now Kristen Stewart is gonna ruin her like she ruins everything she's in. To top that off, Julia Roberts is raping the evil queen as I type this! The ******** wrong with Hollywood?It really pisses me off, since she was one of my favorite Disney Princesses as a kid. emotion_eyebrow

You do realize that Disney ripped off Snow White because they didn't and still don't have any original ideas.

Man-Hungry Carnivore

19,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
David2074
It's true it might not be the oldest version. Hard to say. But it's from the 1800's and certainly predates the famous Disney movie. My point was just that probably to some Disney was the one messing with the story line when they made their version.

I was just reading a bit more about it and depending on the version either her mom died during child birth and it was her step-mother trying to kill her or in one version it was her mother trying to kill her. Either way kind of sucky. Based on conversation in another thread I was also just reading up how in the original (or at least older) Sleeping Beauty it wasn't the prince who woke her with a kiss. Instead she was raped in her sleep, went through pregnancy and birth and was awoken by one of the babies sucking on her finger. And since she went through all of that alone she probably woke up laying in a puddle of blood, afterbirth and the s**t that typically gets pushed out during the birthing process. That's a hella way to wake up when you went to sleep the young virgin maiden. And oh yeah, after she marries prince rapist her mother in law tries to eat her and the babies. "Wait children! The story time isn't over! Why are you all crying and running away?" haha!

Wow, how sad. What a messed up family. lol

Romantic Nerd

10,000 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
Sacrificial Sandwich

If you want to talk about missing up Snow White, Disney is the one that missed it up the most. Go back and read the oldest version you can find. The Grimms Fairtail. You will be shock to lean that "Once Upon a Time" is closer than Disney.

Romantic Nerd

10,000 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
Mayor Gravity
Bunai
I am interested to see how two versions of a live-action Snow White turns out. Though I do want to see other Fairy Tales done... hmm
I'd like to see Rose Red.
I am looking foward to Mirror Mirror more than the Huntsman, but I'm biased because Julia Roberts is one of my favorite actresses.

What's Rose Red?
There is a story with both Red Rose and Snow White. They are twins, and they meet a cursed prince, that is in the form of a talking bear. They both fall madly in love with him, and set out to brake the curse. They rip apart and kill the dwarf that they where told put the curse on the prince, only to learn that he was evil and it was all just a trick to get the dwarf's magic and lands. Red Rose was so upset that she killed herself and Snow White ran off with the Prince for a short time, before returning home after she leard the prince was married.
WTF, Julia Robert's plays the evil queen? I no just no.

Seems the huntsman may be the best character in this version, At least they're remaking fairy tales now and giving vampires a rest that was getting old.

Salty Firestarter

My favorite version is German. There's no way it can be done better than 7 Zwerge.
Xiam
Yanueh
Sacrificial Sandwich
Kristen Stewart is gonna ruin her like she ruins everything she's in.

Wait, what, she does? I wasn't aware Twilight could be ruined.

Of course it could. Stephenie Meyer managed that just by writing it.

Zing! High-five man!
i agree i saw the trailer with snow white and it looks sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo stupid!!!!!!! xp
Okay, so I'm a bit miffed at myself for not bookmarking this one but,
A) Disney isn't the original version, you know that, right?
B) There are many variations on this story including one (the one I forgot to bookmark. If anyone knows what I'm talking about and has a link please tell me!) where Snow White and the seven dwarves are killed. That's it! Done! They all die!
C) Snow White and the Huntsman looks great! Mirror, mirror looks like crap, but visually interesting.
D) I've written my own version of Snow White, so sod off!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff