Welcome to Gaia! ::

Should we make Fishing Trophies unsoulbound?

Yes 0.61421319796954 61.4% [ 121 ]
No 0.38578680203046 38.6% [ 76 ]
Total Votes:[ 197 ]
This poll closed on June 27, 2012.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Gaidin

Insulting? I understand your viewpoint, because in a way trophies are an achievement, but I'm not quite sure insulting is a "valid" description here.

There are many reasons why someone might obtain a trophy-- it can even happen by accident, I've seen it happen. Not everyone going for a trophy wants some imaginary status. Some just wanted a lot of X fish that month. Some wanted to break a score record. Some wanted the actual item because it looks good. And, of course, some want the achievement.

The thing is, your achievements are always kept in the trophy winners sticky, and pretty much everything else on this site is free to be traded. Even the super rare Art Arena medals were not soulbound when the function hit the site, and they were far more a representation of skill or whatever than trophies for Fishing are.

As for why this thread was created, I can't fully say why, because I don't know. But I do know that myself and others have been requesting the soulbind be removed since it was put into place years ago. It largely comes back down to "I put in the effort, I should get to decide the fate of the item".

As for the validity of this poll, it's valid no matter who votes. Anyone on Gaia is a potential trophy winner, and as such their voice counts as much as anyone else's. Should my vote from this account count as 21 votes simply because I have won 21 trophies on this account alone? I would say not. I'm no more important than you in this debate even if I've won more trophies, so I don't see why people who have won trophies are more important than those who might yet win trophies. If we want a way to show off our achievements, we have the items that we can keep, as well as links to the winners for each month. If others just want a shiny looking handheld item, why shouldn't they be able to buy it if one of us is willing to sell it?

Your questioning how it's insulting!? I work my arse off all month competing vigorously for a fishing trophy so can show my work and skill for all my hard earn efforts knowing that You can only get these unique items by going through this pain staking work and then Gaia trys to allow them open to the public for sales on the MP? OF COURSE THATS INSULTING. This is utterly stupid to even question this!

Yes I can see some people may win them accidently, but that still doesn't matter. It's a trophy! If you win it, it's not there to sell for extra profit its a trophy not an MC not a random item it's a TROPHY. It doesn't matter if you have 100 trophies in your inventory that you cant use all at once, because you earnt them at your choice! They are not another item to be used to gian profit or gold income they have meaning. They need to keep meaning. By removing the soulbound, this meaning is LOST. making them just another pointless item.

I still stand that this entire poll is STUPID not only is it insulting it's plain right incorrect to even consider this. As a result of the Poll. If After the 7 day poll GaiaOnline Moderators decided to un-soulbound these trophies one of the LAST remaining meaningful items. You wont have to worry about seeing me compete again, or Log on to GaiaOnline. As I officially Quit Gaiaonline if this poll goes through.

As a user since 2006 this is to show my disapproval and utter disgust with this proposal from GaiaOnline.

Newbie Noob

15,650 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
User Image I'm kinda okay with both options, actually.

Like most people here would say, leaving them soulbound is great since the trophies will actually mean something. Trophies should be like that, in my opinion, since they're earned through hard work. Some fishers might want more than one to equip, but there are also people who'd prefer to keep them even if they have more than 3 of one trophy.

If the trophies get un-soulbound, then that would give fishers the chance to get rid of the trophies they feel are unneeded, and to transfer to their other accounts. I know most fishers would like to keep them for the achievement factor and stuff, but maybe there are also some who want to get rid of extra trophies. Personally, I don't have extra trophies. I have 6 and they're all different, but if I earned a trophy that I already had (for example, if I was aiming for first place but couldn't reach it and ended up in second, receiving a silver one that I already have), I would like to have the option of getting rid of extra, unneeded ones for gold. There will be the case of people just buying trophies and having them without exerting effort, then bragging about the trophies. Maybe some people would buy them because they don't have time to achieve the trophies by themselves (which would kinda take out the achievement feel), but they do want a trophy and will try earning them if they could. However, I think the bragging case won't easily happen. I think fishing trophies aren't that appealing to most people outside the fishing community (I placed "I think" there. I might be wrong with this one.), so I don't think they would brag about trophies outside. I think they won't brag inside the fishing community either, since the achievement factor would have been lost at the instant the trophies get un-soulbound, so the person would think that bragging inside the fishing community is useless since everyone knows that trophies lost that factor already. So I think the bragging case would be very, very scarce.

Honestly, I prefer them to remain soulbound but with a few changes. I think they should have a sellback function. That would be useful for some fishers in case they have some extra trophies that they want to get rid of. That allows fishers to exchange unneeded trophies for gold, while not giving people a chance to buy their way to trophies instead of working for them, and would therefore avoid the loss of the achievement factor that some people want to remain. Of course, the sellback value shouldn't be too high to prevent people for doing it just for the sake of gold. It would be great to have them transferable to mule accounts also, but identifying mule accounts to give access to and excluding accounts of other people would be hard. This would be made easy if they become unsoulbound, but that would lead to the "buy-trophies-instead-of-working-for-them" concept that is being mentioned in all the posts.

Then again, you can't make everyone happy, so I'm fine with whatever option gets the most votes.

Invisible Fairy

11,250 Points
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Pieversity 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
iPodgy

Wouldn't you quitting just prove that you are not up for a challenge? That you are willing to just give up cause someone was able to get a single digital pixelated item? You should be fighting for a more visual way of showing what you have achieved then only a trophy that has 3 poses. if one has more. they cannot show it.. so all the rest of the trophies are a waist of space. cause you cant show them off.

Trophies are unique. but they have been unsoulbound before. So many people who didn't work hard for them already do have them.

Edit:: User since 2004
Foxglove Tea
iPodgy

Wouldn't you quitting just prove that you are not up for a challenge? That you are willing to just give up cause someone was able to get a single digital pixelated item? You should be fighting for a more visual way of showing what you have achieved then only a trophy that has 3 poses. if one has more. they cannot show it.. so all the rest of the trophies are a waist of space. cause you cant show them off.

Trophies are unique. but they have been unsoulbound before. So many people who didn't work hard for them already do have them.

No it wouldn't it would simply show That i distinctly hate the idea and I'd rather go else where if Gaia continues to make poor decisions like this. I don't want any other visual other way to show your achievements, as it's good enough with the trophy item, It's unique its interesting and users can see this no matter where you are in Gaia, be it zOMG, Towns, Forums it's always there along side your avatar. You can enter Gaia Towns now a days and find hundreds of users with millions upon millions of gold, making your avatars very un-interesting no matter how hard you work. Hundreds of users can simply buy everything you have equipped and use your avatar, With a trophy item you gain a certain respect and pride that these users with millions of gold can't do anything about unless they to earn the trophy themselves as well. Fine yes, Gaia could implement some sort of extra achievement way to show your un-equipped trophies you have instead of having to use "acorns fishing stats" site but I don't think it's needed.

You talk to me as if I'm new to Gaia, I was active back in 06 when they where not soul bound and yes i know hundreds of users have trophies from back then that did not earn them. OKAY. But lets not get anymore into the hands of users that have not earnt them. Simple as.

"Trophies are unique." Currently yes. But if this Poll goes through which your assiting with. They will no longer be unique. and they will be as unquie as every other Item on Gaiaonline. Just another item. Why ruin such uniquness with an unessory change? A pointless change which will ruin the trophy item and the fishing competitions. - Why fish for an item you can just buy? Answer: You dont.

Blessed Businesswoman

14,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Champion 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
hockeyplaya19
keep the trophies soulbound....the making money thing is just ridiculous because if you fished enough to get a trophy you can sell the fish for a profit..i felt a sense of great accomplishment for my trophies, and in my opinion they would lose their meaning, and value if just anyone could buy them.
Iagree completly.

Goosies Moosies's Husband

Grumpy Feesh

iPodgy
Gaidin

Insulting? I understand your viewpoint, because in a way trophies are an achievement, but I'm not quite sure insulting is a "valid" description here.

There are many reasons why someone might obtain a trophy-- it can even happen by accident, I've seen it happen. Not everyone going for a trophy wants some imaginary status. Some just wanted a lot of X fish that month. Some wanted to break a score record. Some wanted the actual item because it looks good. And, of course, some want the achievement.

The thing is, your achievements are always kept in the trophy winners sticky, and pretty much everything else on this site is free to be traded. Even the super rare Art Arena medals were not soulbound when the function hit the site, and they were far more a representation of skill or whatever than trophies for Fishing are.

As for why this thread was created, I can't fully say why, because I don't know. But I do know that myself and others have been requesting the soulbind be removed since it was put into place years ago. It largely comes back down to "I put in the effort, I should get to decide the fate of the item".

As for the validity of this poll, it's valid no matter who votes. Anyone on Gaia is a potential trophy winner, and as such their voice counts as much as anyone else's. Should my vote from this account count as 21 votes simply because I have won 21 trophies on this account alone? I would say not. I'm no more important than you in this debate even if I've won more trophies, so I don't see why people who have won trophies are more important than those who might yet win trophies. If we want a way to show off our achievements, we have the items that we can keep, as well as links to the winners for each month. If others just want a shiny looking handheld item, why shouldn't they be able to buy it if one of us is willing to sell it?

Your questioning how it's insulting!? I work my arse off all month competing vigorously for a fishing trophy so can show my work and skill for all my hard earn efforts knowing that You can only get these unique items by going through this pain staking work and then Gaia trys to allow them open to the public for sales on the MP? OF COURSE THATS INSULTING. This is utterly stupid to even question this!

Yes I can see some people may win them accidently, but that still doesn't matter. It's a trophy! If you win it, it's not there to sell for extra profit its a trophy not an MC not a random item it's a TROPHY. It doesn't matter if you have 100 trophies in your inventory that you cant use all at once, because you earnt them at your choice! They are not another item to be used to gian profit or gold income they have meaning. They need to keep meaning. By removing the soulbound, this meaning is LOST. making them just another pointless item.

I still stand that this entire poll is STUPID not only is it insulting it's plain right incorrect to even consider this. As a result of the Poll. If After the 7 day poll GaiaOnline Moderators decided to un-soulbound these trophies one of the LAST remaining meaningful items. You wont have to worry about seeing me compete again, or Log on to GaiaOnline. As I officially Quit Gaiaonline if this poll goes through.

As a user since 2006 this is to show my disapproval and utter disgust with this proposal from GaiaOnline.

I asked because I don't find it insulting. I've worked my own butt off more than most for trophies, but I don't see an issue with unbinding them. As such, I asked why, because simply putting in work for something that someone else can just buy up has been the story of, well, pretty much everything in Gaia. Work hard to beat Labtech X in zOMG enough times to get that Sinister Scarf? It's selling for roughly 96k right now. You work hard to make some alchemy item (assuming you have enough gold to burn to do it), someone else can then just buy that too. If you were one of those artists that got a medal from the old arena? Those can be sold too. Most people don't seem to feel that it diminishes their accomplishment because someone else can sell theirs. Joebobuser9001 selling his trophy doesn't mean yours are meaningless-- you still have yours. So to me, no, it doesn't feel insulting. I don't think that it's stupid to ask either, as we all obviously have varied viewpoints of this. I understand your passion, but implying that others are stupid for not feeling the same way you do isn't cool either.

The problem with arguing that trophies have more inherent meaning than anything else is that any item can have meaning. I have some bouquets that were gifted to me. They have meaning because they came from friends. Same thing with one of the old brown ghost sheets. My fish hats have meaning to me because I worked for them, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone argue that those shouldn't be sold, for what I consider obvious reasons. These pixelated items have whatever meaning we attribute to them.

As I noted before, calling anyone stupid simply because they don't agree with your viewpoint isn't cool. The admins would not have posted this thread/poll if they didn't have significant numbers of requests for this very thing. I can assure you that this thread didn't simply come about because of AtA. That's just the last straw that finally made them say "you know what, maybe we should just see what they think, since they keep asking us". At least, I assume it's something along those lines, because people have been asking for unbinding to happen since the little locks first showed up on our trophies. As a note, moderators have nothing to do with this. It will be the administration (people in the Gaia office) who have the final say/would do the unbinding if it was voted for.

We all decide what value trophies have to us at a personal level. For some people they don't mean anything. For some of us they mean the world. I'm not sure why someone else being able to sell their own trophy makes you feel like yours mean less. You wouldn't be the one parading around with a trophy you didn't earn, so what does it matter? Your friends and any avid fishers will know whether or not the trophy is legit; what does it matter what some random CBer or something thinks? You said you were here when they were still unbound, so you know it wasn't a big issue then. Why is it now?

I'm reminded of MeGusta, an exchanger who grew to love Fishing and happened to buy trophies because he liked them but couldn't fish enough to get one. He still showed his love for the community and the items even though he couldn't earn them. I don't see why someone who likes the items should be barred from getting them simply because they don't have 8 hours a day to fish for a month. I understand that you're passionate about this, but there is no right or wrong answer in the context of Gaia to this poll's question.

Wealthy Genius

11,600 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Profitable 100
  • Market Browser 100
Well said. 3nodding

Invisible Fairy

11,250 Points
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Pieversity 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
iPodgy
Foxglove Tea
iPodgy

No it wouldn't it would simply show That i distinctly hate the idea and I'd rather go else where if Gaia continues to make poor decisions like this. I don't want any other visual other way to show your achievements, as it's good enough with the trophy item, It's unique its interesting and users can see this no matter where you are in Gaia, be it zOMG, Towns, Forums it's always there along side your avatar. You can enter Gaia Towns now a days and find hundreds of users with millions upon millions of gold, making your avatars very un-interesting no matter how hard you work. Hundreds of users can simply buy everything you have equipped and use your avatar, With a trophy item you gain a certain respect and pride that these users with millions of gold can't do anything about unless they to earn the trophy themselves as well. Fine yes, Gaia could implement some sort of extra achievement way to show your un-equipped trophies you have instead of having to use "acorns fishing stats" site but I don't think it's needed.

You talk to me as if I'm new to Gaia, I was active back in 06 when they where not soul bound and yes i know hundreds of users have trophies from back then that did not earn them. OKAY. But lets not get anymore into the hands of users that have not earnt them. Simple as.

"Trophies are unique." Currently yes. But if this Poll goes through which your assiting with. They will no longer be unique. and they will be as unquie as every other Item on Gaiaonline. Just another item. Why ruin such uniquness with an unessory change? A pointless change which will ruin the trophy item and the fishing competitions. - Why fish for an item you can just buy? Answer: You dont.
Didn't talk to you as if you were new. Ive seen your name on the charts a few times so I know better then that hun. That's cute how you were active back in 06' I have more years on here then you. but I'm not racing to compete for member seniority like you are.

unique.. because those who fish for hours get them. that they are not open to every person freely. at best the word unique isn't a good choice... Limited would be a better fit. and even then it is nice to share. Be stingy all you want with your trophies hun. If this goes threw you are not obligated to sell yours. and thus you can keep on your same set track you have been for years. Its not nice to think only of yourself.

trophies in the hands of a user should be allowed to do whatever they wish with them. Its wrong to limit it to only minute options.

Bloodthirsty Man-Lover

I came to the decision to vote to un-soulbound the trophies.

Mostly because I've always wanted to get on a mule and start fishing, worried though that if I did and earned a trophy, I wouldn't be able to send the trophy from my mule to my main, which I would prefer. That's really my only argument for un-soulbounding them. I'm really on the fence though because I like the idea that you have to earn your trophies instead of just buying them off the market.

If there was a way to make it so if we got it on our mules and were able though to transfer them though to our mains while making sure that no one could sell their trophies on the market.

[Jaye]'s Wife

I'm another one for soul bind trophies. For reasons already discussed by others.

But its obvious this topic is split.

Hopefully instead of asking To bind or not to bind?!, the staff will look for alternatives that satisfies both sides (yea I know, you can't satisfy everyone):

1. Significance of the trophy - trophies present a meaning to those who won them because it is obtained through hard work and dedication. Even if you have all the time in the world, you can't win a trophy if you don't put the effort into it.

2. Compensation - after three trophies has been equipped, duplicate trophies become useless as equip-able items. Some find that they just need one of each/any trophy. So these fishers would like to trade them in for something more beneficial.

3. Stranded trophies - for various reasons, fishers would like to exchange trophies they won between different accounts, as well as their homes.

4. Acknowledgement - some fishers compete to be known. Or to be known as a good fisher. Due to no.1, trophies offer a way for fishers to show others, "Look! I did it! I won!"

5. Freedom of choice - Options!

(all i can remember)

There's been some good suggestions in this thread.
-a reasonable npc price on trophies
-inscribe the winner's name to the particular trophy they won
-maybe if Gaia can have multiple accounts link to a single email/account with verifications
-more uses for trophies (poses, place into homes)
-have a database that allows Gaians to search for past winners

Newbie Noob

15,650 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Kydden

User ImageIf only Gaia could maintain information about what account is a mule or not. I don't think Gaia has the time to deal with that function, though, which would probably affect just a minority of users since the only ones who'll use that are the fishers that have trophies they want to move xD

--EDIT--
Also, about the inscribing of names in the trophies. Would that lead to different item information input for the marketplace database? For example, there would be a Silver Junk Trophy with the name of User A, and another one but with the name of User B, so the marketplace would have 2 similar entries of a Silver Junk Trophy, but only with different descriptions? Well, I don't know how the marketplace database runs, but I think it runs with a "one item-one description" concept or something. I think an item has a fixed description, and that they'll have to create a new program that monitors the item's origins, changing the description while remaining as one item. gonk

[Jaye]'s Wife

Kaname Yukishiro

If Gaia implements an account linkage, like how you can link two different email address together, it can serve a much bigger purpose than just for trophy trading. Perhaps instant gold/item transfers or PM retrieval. But I don't know how feasible that is. Or how secure that is.

Newbie Noob

15,650 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Kydden
Kaname Yukishiro

If Gaia implements an account linkage, like how you can link two different email address together, it can serve a much bigger purpose than just for trophy trading. Perhaps instant gold/item transfers or PM retrieval. But I don't know how feasible that is. Or how secure that is.

User ImagePM retrieval might be a great way, though I think a trade between two accounts is fast enough to not need an instant transfer function xD.

I've also edited my previous post. I just noticed something about the name inscribing. xp

[Jaye]'s Wife

Kaname Yukishiro
inscribing

That's how I understand it too. Each trophy being a unique item. So it's not going to happen. I just like the thought of my name being on a trophy. cool

User Image
Bronze Bass'ken Fishing Trophy

A trophy given to the top fishers in Bass'ken Lake. This one is made of bronze. Presented to Kydden on the month of May 2009.

Newbie Noob

15,650 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Kydden
Kaname Yukishiro
inscribing

That's how I understand it too. Each trophy being a unique item. So it's not going to happen. I just like the thought of my name being on a trophy. cool

Bronze Bass'ken Fishing Trophy

A trophy given to the top fishers in Bass'ken Lake. This one is made of bronze. Presented to Kydden on the month of May 2009

User ImageOh, that'd be so cool. emotion_awesome

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces