Welcome to Gaia! ::

Should we make Fishing Trophies unsoulbound?

Yes 0.61421319796954 61.4% [ 121 ]
No 0.38578680203046 38.6% [ 76 ]
Total Votes:[ 197 ]
This poll closed on June 27, 2012.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Shirtless Hellraiser

16,625 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
Heya Fishers!

We've been talking a lot lately about making Fishing Trophies once again not soulbound. This would mean you'd be free to trade, sell, gift, or move your trophies to a mule account. Given that this is a big change, we wanted to hear from you on this matter.

Please take a moment to vote in this thread's poll. We'll leave the poll running for 7 days, which should give you all plenty of time to consider the matter and cast your vote. At the end of that time, once the poll closes, we'll add up the results. Whatever the majority wants is how we'll proceed on this issue.

Please feel free to post in this thread as well, and let us know any comments or thoughts you might have on this issue. As always, keep discussions and debates civil!

Take care and happy fishing! 3nodding
Sisky

Butterfly Prince

siskataya
Heya Fishers!

We've been talking a lot lately about making Fishing Trophies once again not soulbound. This would mean you'd be free to trade, sell, gift, or move your trophies to a mule account. Given that this is a big change, we wanted to hear from you on this matter.

Please take a moment to vote in this thread's poll. We'll leave the poll running for 7 days, which should give you all plenty of time to consider the matter and cast your vote. At the end of that time, once the poll closes, we'll add up the results. Whatever the majority wants is how we'll proceed on this issue.

Please feel free to post in this thread as well, and let us know any comments or thoughts you might have on this issue. As always, keep discussions and debates civil!

Take care and happy fishing! 3nodding
Sisky

Most definitely unbind them. It allows fishers to sell their trophies if need be and make some gold for their extra special efforts. It just makes sense.

What purpose is there in having them soulbound at all? They don't hurt anyone by NOT being soulbound. I figure it's simple and common knowledge that you should be able to share what you've earnt, soulbinding them does not reward a player, nor does it really encourage a user to even try to earn a trophy. They become bragging rights and nothing more.

Aged Codger

Honestly i would rather them stay soul bound, it is just i would like to see a way that they can be moved from mule accounts that they had been trapped on to bring them back to the account in which they were won/earned from.

long/short of it, i have some trophies i traded to a mule account before they became soul bound, and now they are stuck there, and it would be nice to have access to them on my main account again. I do however realize how difficult that might be seeing as trophies are still manually granted, and it would be a lot of work to move all the trophies around 1 at a time.

i guess in general it would come down to personal preference about the SB issue. while UN binding them would inspire more competition from people who just want the trophy in order to gain a profit, the extra competition would be welcomed, but the downside being would such a thing inspire more people to attempt botting to get ahead.

i guess as the old saying goes, 2 sides to every coin.

**EDIT** tho I do like the fact that they left this thread open for discussion on the matter, rather then just leaving it as a poll only. i would be interested in reading all opinions on the matter rather then simple yes/no answers.

**EDIT** I guess in short i am still on the fence about it. i can see both sides pro's and cons to both, and as far as i can see, i leaning more towards freedom of choice. i mean, the more i think about it the more it becomes clear that binding them while a noble idea adds too much restriction. as Gaidin pointed out, "there are only 3 poses at the moment for trophies, so why not have the ability to send spares to mule accounts to show off there? they are still me" (not exact words, but i think i got the gist of it with out looking up the exact wording.)

Each person see's trophies in their own unique way. to some they are an icon of accomplishment to be treasured. to others they are an item earned like any other item on the site to be traded and sold as their whims guide them. what they may treasure as an item one month may change the next month when they decide to work for another item or goal. and if that goal is more important to them then certain items, they should have the ability to sell all the items including trophies to achieve their new goal, because that new goal once achieved is just as fulfilling an accomplishment in their own individual book as earning a trophy is in some hard core fishers books.

and the final reason so far i am leaning more towards UNSB trophies is.... Gaia is a GAME. and fishing is a way in which some people play that game. some people fish in order to make gold to spend on other things through out Gaia, while others fish because it is fun, and like the competition which brings us back to CHOICE. i can not see it being fair to forced people to keep a item just because some die hard fishers think of trophies as i do, as an item to be earned as a cherished accomplishment, rather then an item up for trade or sale. It is not my place to tell people how they should look at a pixelated item, nor do i believe it is the place anyone else to do so either. the freedom to choose should be there.
DO NOT UN-SOULBIND.

The fishing trophies represent your achievement in fishing. Too much of Gaia now can simply be bought out with gold. The fishing trophies are one of the only things left on Gaia that users can show off with pride knowing that only users that are true to fishing have them.

Those who are earning trophies and have been since the soulbind update have not been earning them to sell. The gold can be bought in with fish sales.

This stops all the 'booty-grabbing' Gaians with too much gold to just be able to buy our hard earn achievements and claim fishing respect even if they have never played a game of Gaia fishing!

If the trophies are un -soul bound there MP retail value is going to be low as it was before the update but it would decrease there sentimental value ten - fold. I would feel no need or want, to continue competing if the trophies become un-soul binded.

Absolutely disagree. It was a great move to soulbind them in the first place. Don't go back. EVER.

EDIT: This would discourage users from trying to win a trophy to actually own the trophy itself as an item, why spend hours, days, competing to win the trophy when you could simply spend half hour playing booty grab, earn 100k and buy the trophy... ( I understand that the argument would be maybe users will want to sell the trophies after winning them to earn extra gold, but the point of competing to WIN trophies is to win the trophy, you don't see Olympic athletes selling their medals on ebay after the race.

Before the soulbound update as an example; Bronze Gambino Trophy - 50k , with inflation prices your looking at no more than 100k in todays MP this amount of Gold can be earned at other parts of GaiaOnline ( zOMG, Bootygrab, ect, ) within less than a day.

Tipsy Noob

5,625 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
MastaVern
Honestly i would rather them STAY soul bound, it is just i would like to see a way that they can be moved from mule accounts that they had been trapped on to bring them back to the account in which they were won/earned from.

long/short of it, i have some trophies i traded to a mule account before they became soul bound, and now they are stuck there, and it would be nice to have access to them on my main account again. I do however realize how difficult that might be seeing as trophies are still manually granted, and it would be a lot of work to move all the trophies around 1 at a time.

i guess in general it would come down to personal preference about the SB issue. while UN binding them would inspire more competition from people who just want the trophy in order to gain a profit, the extra competition would be welcomed, but the downside being would such a thing inspire more people to attempt botting to get ahead.

i guess as the old saying goes, 2 sides to every coin.

**EDIT** tho I do like the fact that they left this thread open for discussion on the matter, rather then just leaving it as a poll only. i would be interested in reading all opinions on the matter rather then simple yes/no answers.

I completely agree with you vern

Lonely Lunatic

I agree with iPodgy. I think that making them un-soulbound would make it unworthy to try and earn them. The only thing it will do is have gold hungry people use bots to get the trophies and then sell them for a profit. It is also on my Gaia bucketlist to try and get one of those trophies and it would mean absolutely nothing if I just bought one off of the mp.

Loved Sweetheart

15,725 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Love Machine 150
  • Partygoer 500
You also need to do that with zOMG rings and Orbs as well
Pretty much what podgy says.

In short, wannabe winners are gonna end up having hard earned trophies? rofl rofl rofl
*takes up a sign that's closest to a rally sign*
NO!
I say, just earn them again on your main. emotion_yatta

You know, if this does happen...
Trophies could be useful as an alchemy item.
I'm still saying no, but if it does... that'd be a good idea. 3nodding

Dangerous Stalker

I voted yes for unbinding them. heart
It made me really sad when they were originally made soulbound, because I think everyone should be able to decide what they want to do with their own stuff. (Whether they keep, sell, gift, or eat it for breakfast.)
Personally, I've always wanted to make a little house on my mule acct. where I can stuff my trophies. smile

I don't think it takes away from the value of earning them, because there are always records of trophy wins, score records, etc.
I've noticed that the majority of fishers are obsessed with keeping tabs on that kind of stuff, so if someone bought a trophy, it wouldn't make much difference.

Also from what I remember, there wasn't really a high demand item as far as selling/trading went, 'cause they're sort of (no offense.. I love my trophies) ... a bit of a weird looking item. lol

Dangerous Sex Symbol

I say that trophies should be un-soulbounded. I've read about iPodgy's argument of how it'll encourage people to not trophy fish as much since they could buy it off the Market. BUT I would think that people wouldn't sell them on the Market if they were being sold at a low amount of gold. And I'm sure a month's worth of fishing in one lake would make just about the same amount if not more than a trophy is worth. But I guess my argument applies more to Bronze trophies because they're not as difficult to get as Silvers or Golds. Plus Silvers and Golds would have more sentimental value (I would think).

Just my 2 cents. LOL.
Overall I wouldn't mind seeing them unsoulbounded. I'd have them on my mules too if they were. ;D
Zatchypoo

Only the "true" fishers would still try to compete.
It's about the "spirit" of fishing, no?
But something about this makes me pick NO.

Fashionable Gaian

I rather to have them soul bound ;c There is a lot of ways to earn gold.

Winning a trophy and have it soul bound just shows that you earn with your hard work. I earned 47 trophies and I wouldn't dare to sell a single of them cuz I earned them. I like to have a pride and it shows you have a pride >.>

Why would anyone WANT to buy a trophy? >> If you want one, just fish for it ;c It's not that hard and it's fun to fish for a trophy while competing/chatting with your friends.

Sure I would love to see if they have a way for us to transfer our trophies from mule to an account or w/e. I have 46/47 trophies on this account. I have one trophy that's stuck on my mule II Lady Lucy II and I would like to have that transfer to this account ;P

Professional Genius

I voted to remove the soulbind. Why? Because I feel that once you've earned your trophy, it is your right to decide if you want to keep it, send it to a mule account, or sell it. There is a valid reason why zOMG! rings are soulbound. I don't think fishing trophies have a good enough reason to be - you don't gain any advantages in the game by owning one.

I understand all of you that think trophies shouldn't be possible to sell, but I disagree. I may not want to sell mine (except perhaps the ones I have more of than the number of poses) but whoever wants to, should be able to. If they competed JUST to be able to sell the trophy, I can think of a few more lucrative ways to spend a month. xp

Goosies Moosies's Husband

Grumpy Feesh

I'm very glad this has come up. I voted that trophies should be unbound.

-------

I was actually pretty sad when trophies were soulbound, despite the fact that I never plan to sell any of my trophies. As far as I'm concerned, every item on Gaia should be available to everyone to the extent that nothing should be soulbound without a specific balance/function reason. For zOMG rings, it's a matter of being able to buy progress in the game. Fishing trophies are, in the end, another equippable item for our avatars. Not everyone has the time required to fish for a trophy, because let's face it, time is the biggest factor, regardless of how good you are. If you feel that you would rather have gold over the trophy someday, I feel that it is your prerogative as to whether or not you sell the item.

There's also the issue of trophies "only" having 3 poses. I have over 20 trophies, it's not like I can wear them all at once. Why not be able to send them to my mules? They're still me, I still earned the trophy, etc.

Sure, trophies are achievements of sorts. But really, hundreds of trophies were already sold well before the binding was implemented. Trophies have never been a completely solid way of showing who did or didn't win in a given area. As others have mentioned, the stickies chronicle who won anyway. I don't feel that my accomplishments across the board are any less notable simply because someone who is good at vending instead of Fishing buys a trophy.

I can respect that some may want the item to remain a status item, but I think we have enough of that kind of thing on Gaia. I say let people decided what they want to do with the item; they spent a month of their life slaving away at a pixelated Fishing game, it should be their call.

High-functioning Counselor

17,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Tycoon 200
Honestly I understand keeping them soulbound. However I would like to see them unsoulbound. When I started fishing they were not soulbound. For many fishing and getting a trophy was a way to help them out with a quest for what they truly desired. Everyone who has fished for trophies has put a lot of work into getting them. There has always been the "I would never sell my trophy" and the "it's wrong to sell mindset". But I think it is up to the individual who put the effort in. I honestly never sold my trophies because I never thought what was offered was worth the effort I put into getting my trophies. But if I got a good offer I would sell them. I sold my angelic rod and I don't regret that. I don't fish anymore and I don't equip my trophies. Don't really like how they look. Honestly I have my memories from trophy fishing and those are worth more to me then the trophy. I would say most people have no idea I have fishing trophies...and only a handful of people know that I use to be a Top Fisher. I would rather someone that wants to have the trophy equipped use it....rather than sit in my inventory. Yeah I think it's a little weird but everyone has their reasons.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff