Welcome to Gaia! ::

Should we make Fishing Trophies unsoulbound?

Yes 0.61421319796954 61.4% [ 121 ]
No 0.38578680203046 38.6% [ 76 ]
Total Votes:[ 197 ]
This poll closed on June 27, 2012.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Newbie Noob

Voted them to stay bound.

I use to wonder why they were bound in the first place, then i kinda liked having them bound once i had won them. I don't want to see people in the exchange with trophies in their hand because they decided to pay gold for them instead of putting in the effort. Some people have spent months on end earning their trophies so THEY could have them, it'd just take away "feeling proud about having a trophy" thing that i have and i'm sure others do have.

Also, i've always liked knowing that my trophies will always be there, whether i get hacked one day or not.

This is going to happen now...but eh oh well. I don't think i'll be selling anytime soon >.<
I voted to un-soulbind.

I would like to be able to display my trophies in my house again (which was created just to put them in), and I do agree with Gidi, that once you have earned something on Gaia in this manner, you ought to be able to do what you want with it. I'd love for my other accounts to be able to show some fishy support, and honestly, it's one of the reasons I stopped fishing. Fishing trophies will always mean many things to many people - unsoulbinding will not stop people from keeping them (a voluntary soulbind, if you will), but they will open up past options for those of us who want to do something more with them.

I do so want those trophies back in my house.
I want them to stay soulbound. Otherwise people would just fish for the trophy to earn gold. Whereas some of us want the trophies because we actually enjoy fishing. Also, people will get greedy- instead of collecting one of each, they'll continue to compete to get more trophies to sell, making it more and more difficult for true fishers to earn trophies. Some of us do have to work too, I enjoy fishing but there's only so much time I can spend- if they were un-soulbound, I'd have no chance because of the massive increase of those fishing for the gold.
I voted yes for unbinding them.

Invisible Fairy

11,250 Points
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Pieversity 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Unless someone watches the fishing charts religiously everyday to see what names pop up on them.. to know that *those* names are the ones who fish the most. No one would ever know anyone else was a fisher. My point:: Why hide what people cannot see.

So many of those who are wanting the trophies to stay soulbound are those who have worked so hard to get them. And yet.. The trophy that is achieved goes unnoticed.. The person who won the top of the charts is never announced through a site-wide announcement. Thus under-appreciated. It is to my knowledge that fishing is more of an underground event on this site. Only those who know about it. or who are friends with the correct people ever see any action as to whats going on.

For those who want to keep the trophy soulbound.. and hidden. Try asking/suggesting to gaia admins to make a visible ranking system. *Not the fish charts* This would be on your profile, and under your user look up. So people can see what is achieved for those fishers who work so hard. (Optional for those who would rather hide it)

The same logic that is presented here could go for everything else on this website. One could say:
I earned my butterflies, thus they are soulbound
I earned that monthly collectable thus it is soulbound.
You cannot show off butterflies, no one would know you made that body dye.
No one knows you worked so hard to get that monthly collectable.
Only you do.

Many of those who want the trophies to stay soulbound. Never equip them. Its a digital image in an inventory. They hold so much value to a *hidden* item.

Personally. I say unbind those trophies.
And update the gaia fishing. Bring in fish for seasons or for weather or for night and day. How about deep sea fishing??
Bring not only trophies but ribbions or badges that can be achieved.
Or allow the fish to be made into more items. or dyes. Fishy dyes. could have a prism-ed look.

Invisible Fairy

11,250 Points
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Pieversity 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Annarannian
I want them to stay soulbound. Otherwise people would just fish for the trophy to earn gold. Whereas some of us want the trophies because we actually enjoy fishing. Also, people will get greedy- instead of collecting one of each, they'll continue to compete to get more trophies to sell, making it more and more difficult for true fishers to earn trophies. Some of us do have to work too, I enjoy fishing but there's only so much time I can spend- if they were un-soulbound, I'd have no chance because of the massive increase of those fishing for the gold.

Hun. Only those driven to sit for many an hour and fish enough to get high enough on the charts to even dream about winning a trophy.. just for gold.... There is a lot of patients that goes into that.. that many users who want gold. Might not have. I don't think we would see much of a change in the charts and to who gets the trophy if they are unsouldbound.
Users can be greedy with anything on this website that is unsoulbound.
Foxglove Tea
Annarannian

Hun. Only those driven to sit for many an hour and fish enough to get high enough on the charts to even dream about winning a trophy.. just for gold.... There is a lot of patients that goes into that.. that many users who want gold. Might not have. I don't think we would see much of a change in the charts and to who gets the trophy if they are unsouldbound.
Users can be greedy with anything on this website that is unsoulbound.

Many users do have the time to sit and fish, who do not enjoy fishing. I'm sitting in second/third place atm, and I only do a few hours a day. I wouldn't have a chance when everyone's fishing to sell trophies- they use to sell for about a million each, I think people would use it as a gold maker as they can sell the fish also. Anyone with a trophy atm, has earned it and that shows they are a true fisher and worked hard, regular fishers see these people come in and out of fishing rooms on a daily basis with their trophys equipped- so people can see their achievements.

Goosies Moosies's Husband

Grumpy Feesh

Annarannian
Many users do have the time to sit and fish, who do not enjoy fishing. I'm sitting in second/third place atm, and I only do a few hours a day. I wouldn't have a chance when everyone's fishing to sell trophies- they use to sell for about a million each, I think people would use it as a gold maker as they can sell the fish also. Anyone with a trophy atm, has earned it and that shows they are a true fisher and worked hard, regular fishers see these people come in and out of fishing rooms on a daily basis with their trophys equipped- so people can see their achievements.

I think that you're overestimating how much it would impact things. Trophies have never sold for nearly as much gold as the effort/time put into them was worth, save maybe the first couple of months when trophies were THE new thing. Bronzes were down to literally 30-50k depending on the trophy. It got to the point where people wouldn't even list trophies of any kind to sell because, well, almost no one outside of those of us that fish for them want them. Given that most people don't want them, how hard they are to sell, etc, fishing specifically just for a trophy to sell isn't realistic, and people fishing for gold would know this. You could easily make more selling the actual fish you get (especially in Bass'ken now) than you would even trying to sell a gold trophy from any given lake.

As for the bold, that's actually not true. As I noted in my post on the last page, hundreds of trophies were sold before soulbinding was introduced to the site. The game came out at the end of 2004, and there was a span of 2-3 years (if memory serves) before trophies were soulbound. Even just two years worth of competition months is 984 trophies given out and able to be traded/sold.

Trophies essentially are only as valuable in any dimension as we see them to be. Personally, I feel that if you think they shouldn't be sold, don't sell yours. I'm not selling mine, despite having more trophies than I could equip on all of my accounts combined. I have 4 durem and 4 junk bronzes, more than I could equip all at once of either kind, yet I won't sell them. Why? Because I earned them, and it's my decision whether or not to sell my rewards. Likewise, I feel that if someone put in the month's worth of effort to sell them, it's their decision whether or not they should sell the reward. Do I think that they should? No. But I feel that it's their right to be able to make the choice. Why impose my belief system regarding achievements on someone else? The achievement is recorded in the stickies, in the end what someone is selling is the item.

IRL Man-Lover

They should stand Soulbound. It's shows you that you worked hard for a trophy/trophies.

I didn't even know why they weren't soulbound in the first place.
That would be nice, then I could competition fish without having to get doubles of trophies that I don't actually want. Perhaps even donate the trophy to 11th place or whatnot.

Desirable Streaker

Stay soulbound please. If you want a trophy, fish for it! Soulbound makes it more special, and worth getting. I can see a lot of people less motivated to trophy fish if this goes ahead.
Gaidin
Annarannian

I think that you're overestimating how much it would impact things. Trophies have never sold for nearly as much gold as the effort/time put into them was worth, save maybe the first couple of months when trophies were THE new thing. Bronzes were down to literally 30-50k depending on the trophy. It got to the point where people wouldn't even list trophies of any kind to sell because, well, almost no one outside of those of us that fish for them want them. Given that most people don't want them, how hard they are to sell, etc, fishing specifically just for a trophy to sell isn't realistic, and people fishing for gold would know this. You could easily make more selling the actual fish you get (especially in Bass'ken now) than you would even trying to sell a gold trophy from any given lake.

As for the bold, that's actually not true. As I noted in my post on the last page, hundreds of trophies were sold before soulbinding was introduced to the site. The game came out at the end of 2004, and there was a span of 2-3 years (if memory serves) before trophies were soulbound. Even just two years worth of competition months is 984 trophies given out and able to be traded/sold.

Trophies essentially are only as valuable in any dimension as we see them to be. Personally, I feel that if you think they shouldn't be sold, don't sell yours. I'm not selling mine, despite having more trophies than I could equip on all of my accounts combined. I have 4 durem and 4 junk bronzes, more than I could equip all at once of either kind, yet I won't sell them. Why? Because I earned them, and it's my decision whether or not to sell my rewards. Likewise, I feel that if someone put in the month's worth of effort to sell them, it's their decision whether or not they should sell the reward. Do I think that they should? No. But I feel that it's their right to be able to make the choice. Why impose my belief system regarding achievements on someone else? The achievement is recorded in the stickies, in the end what someone is selling is the item.

I read that someone who received a trophy through trade before it was soul bound lost it, as they went back to their original owner? So I got the impression that all trophies were back to their original owners now. But if that isn't true, then I guess the damage is already done sad do you know what happened before?

Goosies Moosies's Husband

Grumpy Feesh

Annarannian
I read that someone who received a trophy through trade before it was soul bounded lost it, as they went back to their original owner? So I got the impression that all trophies were back to their original owners now. But if that isn't true, then I guess the damage is already done sad do you know what happened before?

Nope. If someone traded a trophy to another user (or mule), prior to the soulbinding, it got stuck on the account. I actually know a couple of people who had this happen to them, one of them "lost" a gold trophy to a mule that way and had to go win another for their main because it was stuck on the mule account due to soulbinding.

As for "what happened before", what do you mean exactly?
Gaidin
Annarannian
I read that someone who received a trophy through trade before it was soul bounded lost it, as they went back to their original owner? So I got the impression that all trophies were back to their original owners now. But if that isn't true, then I guess the damage is already done sad do you know what happened before?

Nope. If someone traded a trophy to another user (or mule), prior to the soulbinding, it got stuck on the account. I actually know a couple of people who had this happen to them, one of them "lost" a gold trophy to a mule that way and had to go win another for their main because it was stuck on the mule account due to soulbinding.

As for "what happened before", what do you mean exactly?

You answered my question- thank you smile

I still want them to stay soulbound though, for the same reasons as Creepers said. It would be good if people could just gift them, so no gold was involved- so either gift from mule accounts or give out of generosity I guess

Pro Fisher

11,975 Points
  • Fishing is Love 25
  • Lovers Fish 200
MastaVern
Honestly i would rather them STAY soul bound, it is just i would like to see a way that they can be moved from mule accounts that they had been trapped on to bring them back to the account in which they were won/earned from.

long/short of it, i have some trophies i traded to a mule account before they became soul bound, and now they are stuck there, and it would be nice to have access to them on my main account again. I do however realize how difficult that might be seeing as trophies are still manually granted, and it would be a lot of work to move all the trophies around 1 at a time.

i guess in general it would come down to personal preference about the SB issue. while UN binding them would inspire more competition from people who just want the trophy in order to gain a profit, the extra competition would be welcomed, but the downside being would such a thing inspire more people to attempt botting to get ahead.

i guess as the old saying goes, 2 sides to every coin.

**EDIT** tho I do like the fact that they left this thread open for discussion on the matter, rather then just leaving it as a poll only. i would be interested in reading all opinions on the matter rather then simple yes/no answers.

-agrees with vern-

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces