Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shirtless Hellraiser

16,625 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
Hey everyone,

Hope your day is rolling along and you are having an awesome weekend!

I just wanted to let you all know that the Exchange rules have been updated a bit to include information on pricejacking, and to let everyone know it is not allowed. I know that most of you Exchange regulars already know that using a mule to jack up auction prices is not allowed, but some people don't know this. I thought it would be good to mention it outright in the rules.

The section added reads like this:
Quote:
Pricejacking in auctions is NOT allowed

• Pricejacking is when a seller uses a secondary account (aka mule account) to place bids in his/her own auction to artificially raise the price of bids being offered for an item. This is a tactic used by shady sellers to get extra profit from an auction.

For more clarification, here is an example of how pricejacking works:
    a) A seller makes an auction thread to sell an item worth 1 million gold. The seller starts the bidding at 1 million gold.
    b) Another user, not related to the seller, really wants to have the item, so he/she bids 1.1 million gold for the item.
    c) The seller then, on a secondary (or mule) account, "outbids" the user who offered 1.1 million gold by placing a bid of 1.2 million gold.
    d) The user who legitimately bid 1.1 million gold is now required to outbid the 1.2 million gold offered by the mule account in order to be the highest bidder and win the right to purchase the item.

As you can see from this example, pricejacking is a form of artificially inflating the price of the bids so the seller can make a profit he/she might not otherwise have received had the mule account not made that bid. It is possible nobody would have outbid the user who offered 1.1 million gold.

Pricejacking is considered to be a form of cheating, and should be reported.

Just wanted to let you know this inclusion was made. Hopefully it will help cut down on any instances of this activity.

Take care,
Sisky

Additional note: Since this is a very fast moving forum, I'll sticky this thread for a little while so people know about the rule change. It'll be removed once enough time has passed for people to have had a good opportunity to read it.
User ImageUser Image
User Image

Got it. ouob

Aged Fatcat

oh thanks for telling ;D
ok surprised

11,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Overstocked 200
i thought it was already included since it's clearly defined in the tos under scamming

Shirtless Cat

Thanks for that!

OG Sex Symbol

8,550 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
how would u ever know if someones offer is a fake ?? smh so many fakes these days stressed
Wow thanks!

Shy Friend

26,600 Points
  • Amateur Snowfriend Architect 50
  • Skilled Snowfriend Architect 100
  • Professional Snowfriend Architect 250
OMG i cant believe someone would stoop so low and do that,if there are ppl out there and you know who it it gaia you should boot them out.Thankyou for letting us know smiles jezzah. smile

Ice-Cold Bloodsucker

19,890 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Elocutionist 200
It's a shame some people feel the need to use a mule account to cheat so they'll make more profit..=_=' Anyways I hope they realize it's a bad idea and could get their account banned..

Dangerous Puppy

13,850 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Generous 100
  • Profitable 100
Omg! I never had thought about the possibility of people doing such a thing :O yet the question remains, how are we to know who is using a mule to ai their prices? How can we detect mule accounts easily...:I

Lonely Mage

11,150 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
Yeah, now that this is being solved their mules are being dressed up and are playing zOMG and what not, like a real gaia account o u o Its hard to tell the difference D8

Newbie Gaian

Thanks for informing.♥

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas