Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Tipper

I think the power should lie in a user being able to lock their own thread, to which NO ONE, not even the thread creator, can post.
Then it prompts to ask a mod to delete the thread.

And to be fair, all posts in a thread are not up for discussions of ownership. "My post, you can;t delete it in YOUR thread." That's just some childish gunk, son.

And yes this system works because the Something Awful Forums use it to perfection.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
DiabolusNaggers

No it shouldn’t , users don’t need any more power than they have right now. They don’t need to be able to detele thread or lock them. Even letting them lock their thread could be abused in forums like SF and ED when a user could lock it so no one can post after a few people agree and block those would disagree with them. And it is not childish, if someone made a post in someone else’s thread the person who created the thread has no right to mess with it. Even if its in the thread they made , its not their right to delete ,edit it or mess with it in any way as it would be unfair. Just because one site users it doesn’t mean it would work well on another site.

The power to lock and delete threads should be left to the mods who already do a good job with locking and deleting threads when they need to be or when they’re asked to.

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
siskataya
Hello everyone!

Just checking in

I hope you have had a great day! Thanks for the continued feedback. I've been compiling all the suggestions into a spreadsheet, and am keeping track of the requests. Obviously, we probably won't be able to make all of them, at least in this first round of cleaning, but it's great to know what ideas are out there. Once I get a few more suggestions and we've had a chance to review them, we'll add the accepted proposals/suggestions to the main "to do" list.

Take care and keep the feedback coming 3nodding
Sisky
I wasn't sure if my suggestion got read or not. I remember ages ago when I pretty much only posted in M&R (it was the only place for religion and philosophy discussion in 2004) and there were several of us wanting a forum for occult, mysticism, magic, and the like. When the Supernatural forum was created we thought we had finally got our request, but it turns out that's wrong. Can you at least tell if the post and link to the petition got read?

Tipsy Tipper

Tsuki_Kirkland
DiabolusNaggers

No it shouldn’t , users don’t need any more power than they have right now. They don’t need to be able to detele thread or lock them. Even letting them lock their thread could be abused in forums like SF and ED when a user could lock it so no one can post after a few people agree and block those would disagree with them. And it is not childish, if someone made a post in someone else’s thread the person who created the thread has no right to mess with it. Even if its in the thread they made , its not their right to delete ,edit it or mess with it in any way as it would be unfair. Just because one site users it doesn’t mean it would work well on another site.

The power to lock and delete threads should be left to the mods who already do a good job with locking and deleting threads when they need to be or when they’re asked to.

It's not even power. It's just locking a thread so that obnoxious people can't post in it anymore, especially when OP is new to the forum and walks into it without knowing the regulars expectations.
On top of which the only way to get posts that agree with you most of the time is to already be a regular, know the forum, and block the people that regularly disagree with you.

And how is that ED/GD example even a problem? If the thread is locked, then it slowly dies to the confines of inactivity. Another user can simply make another post "Re: hypothetical thread."
Have we forgotten how forums ran in 2002?

And how is it not childish to assume that you are a special case that because an ENTIRE thread was deleted, that your post should be sacredly put on a pedestal and given rights over both the OP deletions and possibly the 4 other posts that were deleted?

Its just stupid. No hypothetical topic is important enough to preserve in that way.

And trust me, the mods aren't doing a great job in many forums. The Music forums are especially bad.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
DiabolusNaggers

It is a power , its giving them the power to lock something like a mod would . And if users want a thread locked or removed its not that hard to ask a mod. We users don’t need the power to do that, and no you don’t have to be a regular to get posts that agree, if you post something a lot of people agree with you will get posts that agree.

and the thread will die anyway if its not locked, its not hurting anything by staying unlocked. Uh 2002? I think you’re mistaken Gaia was started in 03, the site wasn’t existant it 02. and Its not putting it on a pedistal , its not letting others delete content not made by them because its not fair the user who made it to lower their post count by deleting the post they made with the thread. And yes , they are doing a good job , remember these people are volunteers who do other stuff too. They work hard to keep the forum running and are doing a good job, but its up to users to report otherwise there is a problem. You don’t know that the forums are bad because the mods aren’t doing their job, it could be users aren’t reporting to alert the mods to the problem.

Distinct Genius

5,400 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
I like the proposals so far smile

Alien Lover

37,825 Points
  • Poltergeist Pulverizer 100
  • Nebula Novice 100
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
Please delete the music threads because there is too much flaming in there and they don't know the actual genres of music and it is making me and some others very upset! If sisky remade a new music forum I would appreciate that but they're list of non- "genre" bands are of the genre they are saying they aren't and I can't stand for this blasphemy!

Please delete those forums!

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Tsuki_Kirkland
DiabolusNaggers
Its not putting it on a pedistal [sic], its not letting others delete content not made by them because its not fair the user who made it to lower their post count by deleting the post they made with the thread.
Chatterbox allows the OP to delete any post they wish. I wish other forums would add the feature. If you need to up your post count for the achievement, make a spam thread in the appropriate place and not even a mod will touch it if you observe ToS.

A poster should have the ability to lock or delete their own threads as well as their own posts.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
Ratttking

The only reason the chatterbox allows it because that forum is for spam and it doesn’t matter . In the other forums it would be abused by those who would erase rulebreaking threads and again deleting threads erases others posts which is unfair to them.The only way deletion would work if it was in the “My topics” section that just erased it from that section so the users can’t see it but left the thread where it is .

They should not be able to lock their thread either , as its not that hard to just post closed as the thread title and leave it be. the users need no more power than what we have now as many who are not good would abuse the power.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Tsuki_Kirkland
Ratttking

The only reason the chatterbox allows it because that forum is for spam and it doesn’t matter . In the other forums it would be abused by those who would erase rulebreaking threads and again deleting threads erases others posts which is unfair to them.The only way deletion would work if it was in the “My topics” section that just erased it from that section so the users can’t see it but left the thread where it is .

They should not be able to lock their thread either , as its not that hard to just post closed as the thread title and leave it be. the users need no more power than what we have now as many who are not good would abuse the power.
Achievements and GD are basically spam, and changing the title to "closed" does nothing to stop the ******** in ED for days, where mods seem to be on permanent vacation. Why are you so whiny about post count? Threads get deleted all the time, do you fail that is unfair to the posters who did nothing to get them deleted?

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
Ratttking

I can agree to the GD being spam , and I am not being whiny I am disagreeing there is a difference . Threads do get deleted ,by mods whose job it is to take care of the posts. But as i’ve said many times before users have no place in messing with others post count by deleting threads and others posts along with them which is highly unfair to the other users who posted in the thread. Gaia would not want to make a system that

a. Can be abused
b. Would piss users off because their posts got removed by another user who didn’t want their thread and they didn’t want their post gone

Its best to keep it as is and let the mods take care of removals and locking of threads. The idea of letting users delete their own threads/ lock their own threads has too many cons and not enough pros to be considered a good idea that Gaia would use.
RL F&S forum doesn't have a single active moderator. I have not seen le twiggy in years.

We need new moderators. We've had to deal with spam bots (deal studio), necro'd threads and all out trolls for a while now.

Durem Lover

15,250 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Nerd 50
  • Rebuilder 100
Y'all need to keep the TV forum separate from the main forums. Are you guys crazy? Those threads need their own space.

Spoopy Specter

Barton Town!

I have been an avid role player for years and I've noticed that all of the 1x1 search threads are clogging the Barton OOC sub-forum.
The regular search threads for groups are fine and it's easier to find interests when you want people for your role play.
But it seems that 1x1 role plays have become vastly popular and it quickly becomes a pain in the butt when you're recruiting folks and every single search thread you click on is for a 1x1 role play.

I am sure that I can speak for many when I say that I would LOVE to see a nice sub-forum for 1x1 search threads. It won't only be sufficient and more fluid of a sub-forum for Barton OOC, but it will be easier to find people who actually want a 1x1 role play and those who want a group role play. As well, it would be much easier to advertise our OOC role play threads when 1x1 searches are not taking up all of the attention!
I can say from experience that when I'm searching for a tasteful thread, I search in the OOC.

I really hope that you take this into consideration. It would be much appreciated.

-KnightsGuardian
im sad to see the health and fitness subforums go
take them only if you must cry

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out