Welcome to Gaia! ::

Barton Pirate

17,500 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Elocutionist 200
Just a quick thing: Move the Exchange out of Gaia Gaming. It doesn't really make sense to include it in that category.

I would have suggested moving the Mini Shops out of Gaia Gaming, as well, but maybe you're already thinking of doing something like that if you're changing/moving art shops and requests into subforums of Picture Post.

The Exchange and Mini Shops always seemed like weird things to place. It almost felt like we needed a Gaia Commerce category for them or something.

Oh! Also: if you close the Food forum or the RL Fashion & Style forum I will cry.

Sparkling Dragon

18,890 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
KingKentling
Pistol Annie
KingKentling

Why can't they add a code like every other site
for we can delete what we post, its that simple,
it shouldn't that hard to correct a code.
I'm not trying to be all bitchy but thats the one things that annoyes me
is to find so many threads from back in 06 that haven't had a replie, and
see like 24983943483098490384 pages of threads that aren't ever gonna get a replies
:/ I'm glad they are deleting threads, don't get me wrong, but still the forums will still
be messy. I don't want to lock mine up, I want mine to disappear forever. :/

umm yeah its easy to do to make code of deleting a data
but that would effect making data. It might be too complicated for you to understand
So I'll make it as simple to you as possible

If you dont know, gaia's way of topics is in the chronological order [1 to infinity]
Lets say there are 5 topics [ 1, 2 , 3 ,4 ,5].
If one is deleted [ 2 ] it would be 1 , 3 , 4, 5. Then a thread is made so it will be the new 2
but what if at the same time two threads is created at the same time and there is two 2s.
That would mess up the program and the result might either be the first 2 will be 2 then the second 2 will be 3 then the rest will be moved as well or deleted depending on the code 3 will be 4, 4 will be 5, 5 might get deleted . . . infinity OR it just ends up in limbo data will just get mixed up.
Nothing is simple dear, everything is complicated even a tiny little dust.

Geez . . .then ignore those then. Its not that hard to see if when the thread was made

Gaia was based on PHPBB 2.x forum software when it was first made, which by default uses mysql. I know they have extensively modified/rewrote the code, so I can't speak about how accurate this is now, but... In PHPBB each topic has a unique ID, and each post has a unique ID. Those IDs never change and that is what the system uses to refer to them. So, usually, deleting a thread leaves a hole and nothing ever moves into it. Where PHPBB does usually have a problem is if you take a post off of a page; it doesn't even up the number of posts on that page the right way all the time (but I don't know if they have fixed that). Mysql doesn't let more than one thing happen at the same time; it forces each process to get in a line and wait it's turn, so in theory it shouldn't be possible to have two topics with the same unique ID (it also usually is set to be a key, and then mysql spits back an error if you try to add a duplicate and the writing of the data fails)

With PHPBB, the biggest problem I've seen with deleting things is that the system can have trouble counting up the statistics again if your forum is too massive; and gaia is a behemoth... But I think a lot of those functions they have disabled over the years...

That said, if they say they can't add a delete button for technical reasons, it probably has to do with changes they made to make the forum still function at it's size. I know they did something really massive to the site code quite a few years ago where they had to slowly import topics and posts across and it was a pain for them, it seemed.

However, unless they have specifically stated that they can't add a delete button, I would guess that it's a policy choice, not a how-long-it-would-take-to-code thing.

tl;dr: In a small forum, yes, it would be a relatively easy thing to add, but gaia is huge and that makes things complicated and/or they might not want people to delete things for other reasons.

Manly Regular

ReneeMustang
KingKentling
Pistol Annie
Gaia still doesn't listen,
why can't we delete are old threads?
I hate having them stack up its really annoying.

because that would mess up codes and links that's why smile
I dont see how that is a problem and annoying.

Instead why not a feature od locking threads up?

I have to agree. I like the thought of locking up my old threads or those that I've been in because they're mainly roleplay threads. And most of those haven't been posted in for years. But I keep hold of them because I love to go back every once in a while and reread them. That and I am able to go back and look up some references for a character or two or a plot even.

Once they're locked, I wouldn't have to really worry about them being deleted and losing all that information that would take me quite a while to save everything otherwise(which I should do anyways, you never know when you need a backup copy of something. ^^; ).

Glad to see someone agrees with me
I don't think auto-locking would be a nice idea but that's just my opinion.
Acually locked threads are still 'deletable' but only a mod or admin could do it.

Shirtless Hellraiser

16,625 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
Ok, now that I am finished my soup, I really AM going to bed. I am tilting in my chair from tiredness! I'll be back tomorrow, and will continue to read through this thread and try to respond as often as possible over the next week or so. If I miss your post, please don't think I am ignoring you as that is certainly not my intent.

Have a great evening! (or whatever time of day it is where you are! ^^)
-Sisky

Dangerous Ladykiller

10,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Existential Existence
How about a new GCD subforum where we can post spamish topics with other people about the Gaia world. A place where we can talk about the Gaiaverse without requiring lengthy discussions, and just post short topics like "Would Rina look better as a blonde?" "What would Gino eat on a Tuesday?" etc...and where one word replies like "toast" would be acceptable, because it ain't no discussion, brah.

It's called the CB.

Dapper Survivor

5,350 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Hygienic 200
siskataya
Fall Forum Clean-Up

Hello everyone,

October is already here, and Fall is definitely in the air! It's a time for colorful leaves, big squishy sweaters, hot chocolate, and... Fall Cleaning!

We've heard from a LOT of our members over this past year, and one of the most common suggestions is that you'd like us to clean up the forums a bit. Many of you have told us that you feel the forums often feel cluttered - that it can be overwhelming for both new and old users alike to try and navigate through the maze of forums to find a discussion you want. Some of you also expressed that some of the forums have little activity, and that posts there could be made in other locations which are more active. You've also suggested renaming some forums, and merging other forums. After hearing your feedback, we think you are right, and it's time for an overhaul!

So, starting in a few weeks, we'll be doing a Fall Forum Clean-Up. This project will include removing underused or inactive forums, combining forums with common interests into one location, perhaps relocating some forums to new sections of the site, possibly renaming some forums to better reflect the community that inhabits that forum, creating new forums that people have requested - all sorts of things!

Below is our current list of changes that will most likely be coming down the clean-up pipe. This list may grow, but for now, these are the changes we plan to implement. We wanted to give you all a heads up before making the changes so that you were informed ahead of time this was coming, had time to process the changes, and to provide your feedback.

• Renaming Picture Post and shadowing Art Freebies, Art Shops, Art Auctions, and Art Contests as sub-forums of Picture Post. Note: This does NOT mean they are moving from Mini-Shops to Picture Post, but that these will also be accessible as sub-forums in the Picture Post forum.
  • Rename the Ragnarok forum to MMO and change rules to allow discussion of all non-Gaia MMOs in the forum.
  • Closing down TV Anime and Anime/Series/Movies forums and allow all anime discussion in the main forum.
  • Removing underused sub-forums from all main forum listings. (e.g. some of the underused sub-forums in Health and Fitness)
  • Merging various forums which are so similar that having more than one forum for discussion is not ideal (e.g. Merging Gaia Towns and Gaia Homes forums)
  • Making Avatar Talk a top level forum and combining the individual Arenas Forums into one general Arenas Talk forum.
  • Closing down the Spring Cleaning forum and moving any highly-active threads to a new home, most likely the Petitions forum. We want to keep these active threads as they contain awesome user suggestions, and we'd still like to try and get to finishing more of these requests as we have time.
  • Renaming General Discussion and creating a new sub-forum for casual discussion for those GD forum goers who have requested a space to have more lengthy discussion than what is currently offered in the GD main forum.
  • Closing the Sponsored Offers forum and updating the FAQ/Help Center with information on how to get help with offers.
  • Cleaning up and re-posting forum rule stickies- these need refreshing, so we'll be updating these.

That is all for now! If we have any additional changes, we'll post them in this thread. As well, if you have any feedback on the proposed changes, or wish to suggest changes of your own, please feel free to post your ideas in this thread. We'll be following the discussion, and will take any good and well-formed ideas into consideration.

Take care and Happy Fall!
Sisky

This will solely be Forum edits / removal and not threads?
    I have several very old ooc / roleplaying and backup information threads floating about that I would desperately like to hold on to. If there's a possibility of them being deleted for inactivity or old post dates; I will surely do all I can to hold onto that information considering it's the only current copy I have in the last several years.

Jeering Phantom

25,200 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Miasmal Lake Champion 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
Might I suggest moving the Pokemon subforum back to the Hot Topics section of the forum landing page (at least for a little while)? Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 come out in less than a week, and it'd be great for the subforum to be bustling with activity again. There are bound to be people excited to chat about the games who don't know there's a subforum specifically for Pokemon.

Manly Regular

Certifiably Psychopathic
KingKentling
Certifiably Psychopathic
KingKentling
I like how those who wanted to have deleting their threads as a feature are females.
You probably are just PMsing smile
just calm down. Its not the end of the internet world
I also think its kind of useless seeing as you can easily just pm a mod and ask them to move your thread for you. Or a forum assistant. Thats how I get rid of a thread I don't want if its really necessary to be dealt with, just tell a mod to move it to the recycling bin for you. They'll do it for you just fine at least in my experience.

Never really done that for I fear that when I do that
they will look through the whole thread to see if someone did something agaisnt the ToS
and I dont want to get ban'd for something I mistakenly done lol

but yeah people should do that if they get annoyed by it.
I specifically make sure I find a mod that seems like one of the nicer, logical and non strict crazy to do it for me. The last time I did it I had gum disease do it for me XD.

lol yeah some mods are just too senstive and seem like PMsing all the time.
I wonder why gaia keeps them have the power. Its like giving a gun to a mentally ill person and tell him not to shoot innocent people

Aged Hoarder

battle lambs
seikueon
battle lambs
don't get rid of cb, we have nowhere else to go User Image

Attention Duelist! I agree with the need for a CB!

My hair is nodding in agreement with you emotion_dowant

Screw agreeing, I have gold! =D

But back on topic. Yeah, I know everyone else wants to get rid of subforums, I'd like to add one. >_>;; Sorry Gaia.

Friendly Gaian

21,750 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Dig Dig Dig! 250
Looking forward to these changes! I love a good clean-up! biggrin

Dangerous Noob

Quote:
  • Renaming Picture Post and shadowing Art Freebies, Art Shops, Art Auctions, and Art Contests as sub-forums of PP.
  • Closing down TV Anime and Anime/Series/Movies forums and allow all anime discussion in the main forum.
  • Closing down the Spring Cleaning forum and moving any highly-active threads to a new home, most likely the Petitions forum. We want to keep these active threads as they contain awesome user suggestions, and we'd still like to try and get to finishing more of these requests as we have time.
  • Closing the Sponsored Offers forum and updating the FAQ/Help Center with information on how to get help with offers.

These are the ones I do not agree with, or have questions.
        • While you are 'renaming' picture post, I am concerned about the organization. How is that going to be handled? Which forum will be the main one when I click on that section?
        • So in the event I wanted to talk about a certain episode of Interesting Show season four, how many people would be able to relate in the forum I am posting? Where would I post that?
        • I view the petitions forum as a place to ask about changes to items, asking about new ones, recolours, and things like that. If you are going to combine the two, I highly suggest not doing so. How are you going to sort through the petitions asking about cleavage and recolours to find the ones about cleaning up the site? The two topics may both be petitions, but they are not about the same things. Maybe a subforum within the petitions section, but NOT together.
        • I have completed a few offers, but I have found it's best to look at the SO forum before going to try the larger sponsored offers available. I read and ask to be informed in case it is harmful to my computer, takes advantage of my credit card, or if a certain step in the process isn't clear enough. If you only include some tid bits in the FAQ/Help center, you can't expect me to get specific questions answered. I'm sure you have a lot of people who use the offers, and some who rely on that forum to inform them which are safe, and which are not. This should not be removed.

Amateur Noob

KingKentling
Certifiably Psychopathic
KingKentling
Certifiably Psychopathic
KingKentling
I like how those who wanted to have deleting their threads as a feature are females.
I also think its kind of useless seeing as you can easily just pm a mod and ask them to move your thread for you. Or a forum assistant. Thats how I get rid of a thread I don't want if its really necessary to be dealt with, just tell a mod to move it to the recycling bin for you. They'll do it for you just fine at least in my experience.

Never really done that for I fear that when I do that
they will look through the whole thread to see if someone did something agaisnt the ToS
and I dont want to get ban'd for something I mistakenly done lol

but yeah people should do that if they get annoyed by it.
I specifically make sure I find a mod that seems like one of the nicer, logical and non strict crazy to do it for me. The last time I did it I had gum disease do it for me XD.

lol yeah some mods are just too senstive and seem like PMsing all the time.
I wonder why gaia keeps them have the power. Its like giving a gun to a mentally ill person and tell him not to shoot innocent people
Yeah I don't understand it either. Which is why I'm glad we have people like sisky and CBer mods and forum assistants. Sisky's plain nice and logical, mods from CB don't take everything so personally and get offended by everything and think its terrible. idleRAT was also an amazing mod back when she still hung around and was a mod. But we probably shouldn't spam up this thread either with too much off topicness XD

Manly Regular

Raine Dragon

Gaia was based on PHPBB 2.x forum software when it was first made, which by default uses mysql. I know they have extensively modified/rewrote the code, so I can't speak about how accurate this is now, but... In PHPBB each topic has a unique ID, and each post has a unique ID. Those IDs never change and that is what the system uses to refer to them. So, usually, deleting a thread leaves a hole and nothing ever moves into it. Where PHPBB does usually have a problem is if you take a post off of a page; it doesn't even up the number of posts on that page the right way all the time (but I don't know if they have fixed that). Mysql doesn't let more than one thing happen at the same time; it forces each process to get in a line and wait it's turn, so in theory it shouldn't be possible to have two topics with the same unique ID (it also usually is set to be a key, and then mysql spits back an error if you try to add a duplicate and the writing of the data fails)

With PHPBB, the biggest problem I've seen with deleting things is that the system can have trouble counting up the statistics again if your forum is too massive; and gaia is a behemoth... But I think a lot of those functions they have disabled over the years...

That said, if they say they can't add a delete button for technical reasons, it probably has to do with changes they made to make the forum still function at it's size. I know they did something really massive to the site code quite a few years ago where they had to slowly import topics and posts across and it was a pain for them, it seemed.

However, unless they have specifically stated that they can't add a delete button, I would guess that it's a policy choice, not a how-long-it-would-take-to-code thing.

tl;dr: In a small forum, yes, it would be a relatively easy thing to add, but gaia is huge and that makes things complicated and/or they might not want people to delete things for other reasons.

Christina I dont go to the internet to learn exclaim
I just want to fry my brain up with useless junk.

Just kidding, I have less knowledge about this stuff. I just used the basic info I know how HTML and use logic on it so I apologize if I made some mistakes xp
Its nice to know these things, I just kinda dislike how gaia is coded is kinda lazy as programmers say.

Pistol Annie

You should read what she said. Its more detailed and correct than what I said
You're finally renaming Picture Post? Thank you. emotion_kirakira

Dangerous Lunatic

KingKentling

I'm not pmsing. I am pregnant...so I can't be doing that. But I can want to keep my stuff organized and neat. This is a feedback site, and we are allowed to give our feedback like everyone else. I know it is not the end of the world, but I can still ask.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff