Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm on Depo-Provera, and the nurse who administered it reccommended I take a calcium supplement because apparently Depo can reduce bone density. Well, I'm taking the supplements, but 1: they are expensive, 2: I know the body doesn't really process all that much from vitamin pills, and 3: they are freaking huge. I don't know why they can't make them smaller and just tell you to take more, but they make these huge horse pills, and I'm not all that good at taking pills in the first place.

Which brings me to diet. Is there a good way to boost my calcium intake without the use of much dairy? I'm not exactly lactose intolerant, more like lactose low-tolerant. But I don't drink milk. I'll use it on cereal and in cooking, but I will not drink a cup of milk. I don't like it, and it will make me cough for about a half hour afterward. And too much cheese in one day makes me so ill.

So, as said in the title, what non-dairy foods are rich in calcium? Is it even possible to get the same or better benefit out of a non-dairy calcium rich diet as from just shutting up and taking the pills? Any help is appreciated.

And yes, I will ask my doctor about all this, but it takes about a month to get an appointment, so.
Wikipedia"
"Many good sources of calcium exist, including seaweeds such as kelp, wakame and hijiki; nuts and seeds like almonds, hazelnuts, sesame, pistachio; blackstrap molasses; beans; figs; quinoa; okra; rutabaga; broccoli; dandelion leaves; kale; and fortified products such as orange juice and soy milk."
http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/12-vegetables-high-in-calcium.html

: D

&yes, calcium pills are freaking huge. ~___~ The ones I have are 2cm long and I have a pill cutter to make them smaller. Since I became lactose-intolerant, my doctor recommended I take these just to help a bit.
There are gummy ones, but I think eating the veggies would be much cheaper. : D
A lot of vegetables, nuts and pulse.
Also, be careful with caffeine, salt and alcohol, these things make you pee out the calcium.
Spinach, rhubarb and fibres contain oxalic acid, which dissolves the calcium and thereby makes it more difficult to get absorbed by your body.

Dedicated Prophet

My culinary teacher always told us the answer is "dark leafy greens" to any question about food, and it also happens to be the answer to this question xD
I read somewhere a long time ago that it's actually illegal now for the dairy industry to claim milk builds strong bones.

The countries that consume the most dairy products also have the highest rates of hip fractures - the leading sign of osteoporosis.

http://www.movie2k.to/movie-950706-Forks+Over+Knives.html

So it's probably a good thing you don't drink milk. smile

My favourite...BROCCOLI. It's loaded! My second favourite is spinach. All kinds of whole grains (not so much the over-processed and enriched grains which have had all the nutrients sucked out of them.)

It's actually factual that these are FAR better sources of calcium than dairy, because dairy also contains high animal protein content that leeches the calcium right back out as it is being consumed, actually CAUSING osteoporosis. (Don't even get me started on rBGH. >.< )

8,900 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Green leafy vegetables, edamame, soymilk/almond milk, almonds whole, various nuts and seeds, chickpeas, pinto beans, black beans....

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff