Welcome to Gaia! ::

i like sushi ^^

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
SweetMelissa
I see a lot of people advising you to start with California rolls. That doesn't make sense to me, if you didn't like the last roll you got. California rolls contain imitation crab a lot of the time, and really, they're like sushi with training wheels. Perhaps you'd like something with salmon, tuna or yellow tail better.

I agree, c'mon people, go for something classier.

How about some eel? It's cooked and its authentic at least.

I personally enjoy putting myself in the chef's hands. Let him know what you like, or that you're unsure of what to try but you want to have a good first experience with sushi and let them do the work.

If its a good restaurant, you will not be disappointed.

Distinct Gaian

1,550 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
Silvyee
Mayo? Shipped across the ocean? None of that sounds very good.

Aww don't tell me you quit my guild crying i mean the guild is back active and alot has been added and you were a good RPer crying

And im allergic to anything coming from water foodwise Lol so i wouldnt know about sushi. looks nasty.
I rather loathe California rolls. I think just about any other roll tastes better. Yes, I'm in the minority, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong. If you thought the "crab" sucked, don't get it again. Try a shrimp tempura roll, or spicy tuna. Those were the two I got the second time, and loved. I was dumb enough to get a California roll first time out, and I too threw most of it away. Luckily, I had a bf who took me to a *real* sushi restaurant, and steered me toward things with a taste he knew I'd like. And yeah, getting supermarket sushi is generally just an invitation to sucky food. Even if it's made well, after a few hours it tastes dull and the texture starts to lean toward manky.

So start over. Find a friend who's had sushi, and ask them to come with you to a sushi bar. They'll be more familiar with your tastes, and can suggest things you would like. Not to mention, if you've got a foodie friend, they can steer you toward great stuff that happens to be in season - that stuff is always great! ...Except for sea urchin, which I've just never liked at all. As an added bonus, these days most sushi bars also offer hot food from the kitchen (or, also commonly, teppanyaki). So if you order sushi and hate it, you can order something hot and at least not leave hungry.
when i was little i only tried sushi once in my life,as soon as i put it in my mouth i threw up, i didnt care how expensive it ******** nasty.

9,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Contributor 150
"I don't want to tell you how to live your life, but maybe you shouldn't eat sushi from the gas n go."
"It was free with the fill-up! What was I supposed to do? Throw it away?"
"Yes, yes you are."
Not exactly the smartest thing to do. Actually go to a sushi restaurant and try something simple like o-toro.

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
thatguy20
Not exactly the smartest thing to do. Actually go to a sushi restaurant and try something simple like o-toro.

Chances are if you live anywhere but Japan and aren't dropping huge bucks on your meal, you won't be getting o-toro.

Aceptable maguro can be found if you're fairly lucky, if you're looking at an average sushi restaurant you can get stringy, old tuna treated with special gases to make them look pinker...

You will definitly not be getting o-toro at a suburban strip mall hibachi joint that serves California and spicy tuna rolls razz (though I am guilty of rather liking spicy tuna rolls -_- I like ANYTHING tuna...)

O-toro is top of the line stuff, man!
Sai-kun
thatguy20

Chances are if you live anywhere but Japan and aren't dropping huge bucks on your meal, you won't be getting o-toro.

Aceptable maguro can be found if you're fairly lucky, if you're looking at an average sushi restaurant you can get stringy, old tuna treated with special gases to make them look pinker...

You will definitly not be getting o-toro at a suburban strip mall hibachi joint that serves California and spicy tuna rolls razz (though I am guilty of rather liking spicy tuna rolls -_- I like ANYTHING tuna...)

O-toro is top of the line stuff, man!

You'd be suprised what you can find in Seattle.

I hate those places in strip malls too.
The only sushi I've ever liked from a grocery store is Inari Sushi....it's hard to screw those up. Fried tofu pockets with yummy vinegar-y sushi rice in them. And even then, it's better to get them from Mitsuwa or Nijiya market because they're way fresher than say, Vons. You're probably better off having the other kinds at a real sushi place. Also depends if you like seafood in the first place....'cause raw seafood is another step away from cooked.

Dapper Conversationalist

3,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Skilled Snowfriend Architect 100
Thanks for the advice. :3
ya maybe the sushi weren't fresh and did u put like wasabi on it? Also there's vegetable sushi you know >_>
I had sushi at a store once.

I thought...okay, rice, OMGEWWWWWW~~~

I wanted to spit it out so badly but I was in a public place in front of a friend, so I couldn't, but I ate it very slowly.

Never again, man.
Store bought sushi?? Eww!!! THey can barely make sashimi!!! You definently should have went to a more "fancy" place to buy SUSHI!!! By the way, never get sushi with (did you say MAYO?!) mayo. YOu had a bad expierience, so don't fret about it. 4laugh
I agree with most posters. Never get sushi from a grocery store unless there is a dude standing there making it as you watch. Sushi is one of those things where you gotta pay the price for quality!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff