Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Conversationalist

3,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Skilled Snowfriend Architect 100
Ah, sushi. I hear from so many people how good and tasty it is. I also hear that it depends on which kind you're eating.

Anyway, I found some sushi at the store (supposedly, my first mistake). I'd never had it before and I picked up a kind that had crab meat in it. It came with soy sauce, ginger and wasabi and I decided to give it a shot.

I came home, and opened the package, taking out my first, cold sushi. The seaweed felt...strange wrapped around the rice. Figuering I didn't have much to lose, I took a bite.

And nearly threw up. It was so...freakin'...nasty. All it was, was seaweed wrapped around rice, wrapped around a crab/mayo mix. I tried putting soy sauce on it, but that didn't help at all. Regardless, I only ate one of the things before throwing the other eight away.

I would like people to tell me if that was just a bad experiance. neutral And if restauraunt sushi is really better than store-bought stuff. And if I should try a kind other than crab meat. Also, any suggestions as to what other sushi I should eat that tastes better.

I hear the rice goes bad after only a few hours, and this was all pre-packaged and shipped from across the ocean.
Anyone can feel free to correct me, but as far as I was concerned - buying sushi from a regular supermarket kind of store (unless it's asian-specific) is a unforgiveable act of sin.

Pre-packaged and shipped?! gonk

Well, it's possible that it was a bad experience. It's also possible that you just really don't like sushi.

My first experience with sushi was at a regular Japanese sushi restaurant. While the sushi was well-made - it was more of an acquired taste for me. I wasn't crazy about the new textures and such that I was putting in my mouth, and found it kind of gross.

I kept eating it, and the experience got better... BUT in the end I figured out that I just didn't like sushi that much. mrgreen To me it just has a very simple, easy taste, and... I've always been one to go crazy with flavors and seasonings and everything.

Try it again, but at a REAL sushi place. Maybe you'll like it... and maybe you won't.

Excitable Strawberry

Mayo? Shipped across the ocean? None of that sounds very good.

Dapper Conversationalist

3,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Skilled Snowfriend Architect 100
Silvyee
Mayo? Shipped across the ocean? None of that sounds very good.

gonk

Well, that's what it said on the package.
Try getting one without mayo next time, if you're going to attempt to eat sushi again.
I generally find that mayo + sushi does not mix. I don't know why people insist on putting it in there...
Though, you may just dislike sushi. xd
california rolls ftw plox. get it from a sushi bar or takeout o.o
Supermarket sushi is really low grade. It doesn't mean it isn't fresh, it just means the fish has been frozen (which makes it lose a lot of flavor) and that it probably isn't made with first grade ingredients.

And the crab used in those rolls is generally pressed crab. Its really gross, typically. I'm not a fan of crab n sushi unless it's actually being taken from the beast's legs as they're making my rolls. And a lot of bars will use the pressed stuff.

You need to go to a real sushi bar and start simple with something like a Philadelphia roll, or a Shrimp Tempura roll. Nothing too scary. Nothing totally raw. Or just have some cucumber rolls to get used to the idea of eating something that shape and size.

Then move on to the fun stuff like the sashimi and hand rolls.

If you want to try something with mayonnaise again in the future, go for a Honeymoon Maki. They're very good.
ya try getting one eithout mayo it would taste better plus calaforina rolls are preaty good
just a bad experience.
never buy it from a store.
sushi is like most things..
the more you pay, the better the quality.
Sushi from Marks and Spencers(I don't know where you're from, so I don't know if you know what I'm talking about so...) is quite good.
I hate living in the middle of nowhere sad The only 'sushi' we can get is from supermarkets... and the only supermarket that sells in in in another part of the county to where I live.

I'm hoping to go down to manchester at some point soon to try some hardcore real stuff wink
Yes

The only bit I liked were the lovely little fishy soy sauce pods which I glued to the wall like flying ducks.

Toothsome Conversationalist

I see a lot of people advising you to start with California rolls. That doesn't make sense to me, if you didn't like the last roll you got. California rolls contain imitation crab a lot of the time, and really, they're like sushi with training wheels. Perhaps you'd like something with salmon, tuna or yellow tail better.
I haven't had much experience with sushi, but I think you may have gotten a bad brand.

I personally love the seaweed around the rice. I've only had tuna for the fish part, though.

California Rolls are the best 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces