Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Are you a vegetarian?

Yes 0.35714285714286 35.7% [ 5 ]
No 0.5 50.0% [ 7 ]
Considering it 0.14285714285714 14.3% [ 2 ]
Total Votes:[ 14 ]

[Deleted]
Well, my mother and little sister are vegetarians, so I know alot about what they eat. My mom cooks this vegetarian meatloaf... made of crushed pecans and something else. I suggest looking it up on google maybe. But, you could just put mushrooms, onions, and peppers into a frying pan. Then toast a peice of bread and melt cheese over it. Take the fried onions, peppers, and mushrooms and pour them onto the melted cheese. Then find some meatless brown gravy and pour ontop of the whole toast. My mom calls it "The Works".
not so much recipes, as tips, but some easy methods include keeping lots of fresh fruit and vegetables around for those random munchings. learn how to make a salad that YOU like. i personally can't stand lettuce salads, so my salads tend to include lots of mixed vegetables.

also purchase those frozen mixed vegetable bags, or vegetables that you like. you can then quickly simmer them in hot water (until they are thawed completely) and then add whatever oils, seasonings, sauces you like.

i'd try to focus more on exploring vegetables and fruits, always try something. falling too heavily onto pastas and rices can cause weight gain and that stuff is heavy eating to start with.

also beans are good. i always have cans of beans lying around. chickpeas are my favorite.

seriously, just start throwing stuff together and see what you like and don't like, then start worrying about recipes.

oh, and you can also pick up some good vegetarian cookbooks in the bargain book sections of bookstores from time to time. so it's good to keep an eye out for that.

sorry this is a long reply! [:
I reccomend you go out and find some vegetarian recipe books for ideas. Also look around on the internet for recipes, there's bound to be loads out there.

There are also some good ones for students around (sorry I dont know how old you are) which will make it easier for you if you're away at college.
I have a book called "Vegetarian nosh 4 students" by Joy May which I find very useful :3
I like to have peanut butter... but if you're allergic to that there's tofu! It's not true it tastes like cardboard, it only depends what you do with it. So experiment and see what you come up with is the best thing to do I agree.

Newbie Noob

Boca makes delicious veggie burgers.
The Vegan ones have a delightfully meaty texture.
They're quite lo-cal.
Hummus is good for protien too and can be used as a dip
or in sandwiches.

The key to going veg is finding tons of foods you already like!
MEAT IS THE GOODNESS
if you dont buy and eat the meat in the shelf of a store it goes to waste so thats worse of then killing then, cuz they died for you to waste domokun

EAT THE MEAT ninja (like a ninja)

Newbie Noob

Angel_Force
MEAT IS THE GOODNESS
if you dont buy and eat the meat in the shelf of a store it goes to waste so thats worse of then killing then, cuz they died for you to waste domokun

EAT THE MEAT ninja (like a ninja)

Talking about meat in a vegetarian thread is simply disrespectful.

I don't eat meat because I don't like it.
I've been a veg since I was 8. I've always been intelligent and cared about the environment. Being a vegetarian/vegan isn't about just not eating meat, it's protesting. The more meat being wasted is telling grocery stores to buy less meat. This way the "farmers" won't be making a big enough "chunk of change." Now, the farmers raise the costs of the meat and eventually more people won't buy it. That's how I look at it.

Anyway, I know a lot of good recipes. I'll post some later. Just to let you know, a lot of people think that since they're a vegetarian, dairy can make up for your lost proteins. Not true. Dairy causes weight gain (not good) and so do extra carbs. Also, many "new" vegetarians end up having a high sodium and cholesterol intake from eating things like canned soups and such. Try making your own unique soups instead. =D
I'm not a vegetarian but I know a simple veggie recipe.

Cauliflower Roast

1/4 to 1/2 cup margarine
1 whole fresh cauliflower
Cup of bread crumbs or diced bread
Salt and pepper to taste

Take one whole cauliflower and remove all the green parts. Wash thoroughly and put in a pot of boiling water (steaming is better). After the cauliflower is cooked melt the margarine in a pan and fry up the bread/breadcrumbs till crispy. Add salt and pepper to taste and pour the margarine and bread mixture over the cauliflower.

O.G. Dabbler

Hmm..well i have a book of recipies...I don';t really know what you like, but I'll post some....

Baked Tofu Shanghai

Main-----------

1 clove garlic, minced

2 tablespoons Tamari or Soy Sauce

2 tablespoons sweeet sherry. (I think it's alcohol)

1 tablespoon rice vinegar

1 10-ounce pack firm tofu, drained and cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes.

Sauce----------------

2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter

1/2 cup water

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 tablespoons Coconut Milk

And a dash of salt

Directions----------------

In a bowl, mix garlic, tamari, sherry and vinegar. Put tofu in the bolw and spread it over it, then cover and marinate for 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 200F. Drain the tofu, saving the marinade still. Arrange the tofu on a greased baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, until browned.

Meanwhile, make the sauce: In a small saucepan, combine all sauce ingredients, except for the coconut milk and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirrin often, until smoth and heated through. Stir in coconut milk and salt to taste.

Serve on a platter and spon the sauce over it. Serve hot!
Maybe even something simple like a potato and leek gratin, they are always filling smile Alls you need is pototoes, leeks (About 3 for a decent sized casarole dish), a good amount of seasoning and a basic white sauce (Cheese is optional here).

Just layer it, and cook until golden.
If you want to become a vegie, that you need to make sure your still getting all the protien and Iron your body needs. Just don't eat salade every day so you can get sick, caues there isn't enoth iron, to make the red blood cells your body needs.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff