Welcome to Gaia! ::

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
I turned 21 yesterday (11/11), and now that I can legally drink I'd like to get some great drink ideas. I'm planning on trying bar tending pretty soon.
What kind of drinks are bar tenders required to know?

What kind of drinks do you like to drink? Favorite mixed drink? Do you prefer just shots? Beer? Wine? Champagne? Drinks where you can't taste the alcohol at all?

Lonely Capitalist

11,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Ah hah it is nice to see these threads come up. Well as far as recipes I can share I'll just leave these links here since it's easier than copy and pasting the entire thread.

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/t.77895077/?_gaia_t_=3934

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/t.79447187/?_gaia_t_=3934

But you want to get into bartending eh? I am not a professional but I am a passionate amature when it comes to the art of mixing a good drink and the classification of wines and spirits through taste and smell.

If you're serious about getting into the trade, the one book i would suggest above all else is imbibe by david wondrich. It's a comprehensive way about bar-tending the right way. I guarantee that if you get good at bar-tending and take in mind everything that book teaches you, you might end up being overqualified.

there are some basics that are good for any bartender should know how to make, and this will vary depending on what city you live in. in san francisco here the crowds are very drink savvy to the point of being pretentious pricks about it.

But any bartender worth their salt can make a good manhattin and a good martini. Obviously you should have more beverages under your belt than that but once you can figure out the procedure to make those beverages then you can make most others.

Lonely Capitalist

11,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
What I have been doing is going to the really high end joints and watching the bartenders carefully to fill in the gaps that I couldn't get from reading alone. Also if it's a very slow night I sometimes ask questions and such, but only when there are only a handful of people at the bar.

also getting used to the tools. Learning when to shake and when to stir, straining a cocktail, how much ice to use, how to stir a drink, how many ounces different glasses hold.

I would suguest starting out measuring out everything carefully using a small measuring cup (preferably one of those that are really small and have one of those diagonal measuring lines built in so you can accurately and quickly pour a beverage. or different sized jiggers. Also buy a couple of plastic condiment bottles and put your home made syrups and fresh squeezed juices in them.

Once you get used to those it becomes a cake walk. Trust me though, speed pours and squeeze bottles help quite a bit.

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
Valtiel the Watcher
Ah hah it is nice to see these threads come up. Well as far as recipes I can share I'll just leave these links here since it's easier than copy and pasting the entire thread.

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/t.77895077/?_gaia_t_=3934

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/t.79447187/?_gaia_t_=3934

But you want to get into bartending eh? I am not a professional but I am a passionate amature when it comes to the art of mixing a good drink and the classification of wines and spirits through taste and smell.

If you're serious about getting into the trade, the one book i would suggest above all else is imbibe by david wondrich. It's a comprehensive way about bar-tending the right way. I guarantee that if you get good at bar-tending and take in mind everything that book teaches you, you might end up being overqualified.

there are some basics that are good for any bartender should know how to make, and this will vary depending on what city you live in. in san francisco here the crowds are very drink savvy to the point of being pretentious pricks about it.

But any bartender worth their salt can make a good manhattin and a good martini. Obviously you should have more beverages under your belt than that but once you can figure out the procedure to make those beverages then you can make most others.
I'm not good at classifying anything other than if it's like rum, vodka, what wine or obviously which category it falls in. I do love a good drink though. I'm the only one in my house out of my room mates who knows how to mix drinks well, even though I'm the youngest.

I will take a look at the book. I'm hoping I can find it in the one last open book store in my city.
(obviously I can look online but it's much nicer to find in person) I would take it seriously, as I do everything job related. I live in Miami Beach so people are drink savvy as well but not quite to the point of being pricks about it (that I know of).
Funny, I actually just bought a book on martini's and how it's changing / has changed, with recipes as well. It's pretty good, it's teaching me a lot about how each liquor is made and what type of 'body' each one has as well as whats popular, what's been weeded out in a way.

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
Valtiel the Watcher
What I have been doing is going to the really high end joints and watching the bartenders carefully to fill in the gaps that I couldn't get from reading alone. Also if it's a very slow night I sometimes ask questions and such, but only when there are only a handful of people at the bar.

also getting used to the tools. Learning when to shake and when to stir, straining a cocktail, how much ice to use, how to stir a drink, how many ounces different glasses hold.

I would suguest starting out measuring out everything carefully using a small measuring cup (preferably one of those that are really small and have one of those diagonal measuring lines built in so you can accurately and quickly pour a beverage. or different sized jiggers. Also buy a couple of plastic condiment bottles and put your home made syrups and fresh squeezed juices in them.

Once you get used to those it becomes a cake walk. Trust me though, speed pours and squeeze bottles help quite a bit.
Two days ago I wouldn't have know what a jigger is, lol.
Yeah the thing I notice at the bar is how fast these people mix them up. I would be a bit nervous that I would constantly be making messes everywhere. Thank you for all your advice, it's very helpful!

Lonely Capitalist

11,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
oTrissa
Valtiel the Watcher

Two days ago I wouldn't have know what a jigger is, lol.
Yeah the thing I notice at the bar is how fast these people mix them up. I would be a bit nervous that I would constantly be making messes everywhere. Thank you for all your advice, it's very helpful!
the main thing is just gaining the muscle memory which comes pretty quickly. You begin to just know where each liqueur is and as a result they're always in arms reach.

The recipes will be easy to learn especially when you start with early shifts that aren't too busy. It gets to the point where you don't even really need to think about the recipe. You just remember it.
Ingredients:

Pineapple, (fresh)
Strawberries (fresh)
mint

Juice equal parts strawberry and pineapple. Then juice the mint mint add in a few ounces of rum, vodka, flavored liquor to it.

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
caro_san
Ingredients:

Pineapple, (fresh)
Strawberries (fresh)
mint

Juice equal parts strawberry and pineapple. Then juice the mint mint add in a few ounces of rum, vodka, flavored liquor to it.
Sounds good! I'll try it soon. smile

Friendly Bookworm

You can find many books with drink recipes at the bookstore or online. I own one really nice book on drinks with a variety of alcohol used.

But it is good to know the basic ones that everyone knows, such as Blue Hawaiians, Pineapple Malibu, Cranberry Vodka, Screwdriver, etc. Start small, then expand.

My favorite is a simple one called the Creamsicile. It's orange juice with whipped cream flavored vodka in it. Tastes like a orange creamsicle! (Got a little tipsy at my sister's wedding drinking this.)

Eloquent Explorer

10,250 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
I prefer cranberry juice with vodka heart

also I think there's one called a sour drop, if made correctly it'll taste like a pineapple-orange popsicle heart

Liberal Fatcat

I enjoy 1/4 sugar cane rum, mixed with 3/4 strawberry kiwi juice. The aftertaste may be odd, but I find it oh so satisfying. The rum I had was rather strong, so I drink it through a straw.
You don't need to drink alcohol. I didn't drink when I turned 21.

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
This Isnt Sparta
I enjoy 1/4 sugar cane rum, mixed with 3/4 strawberry kiwi juice. The aftertaste may be odd, but I find it oh so satisfying. The rum I had was rather strong, so I drink it through a straw.
Sounds like a pretty interesting mix!

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
klebold3
You don't need to drink alcohol. I didn't drink when I turned 21.
One does not need anything, but wants it all.

Rainbow Tycoon

33,625 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Tycoon 200
I turned 21 recently and was all like "Should I drink something? Nah too much effort.

You are a lot better of a person then me I guess. Learning something new and trying things out.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff