• Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Harmony-Miryam
Lady Callie G
Harmony-Miryam
Lady Callie G
Harmony-Miryam
I have a random question for the thread. What is your opinion on raising children to be vegan/vegetarians?

I would raise any children I had to be vegan. There are plenty of books and websites that teach you how to do it healthfully, and many many mothers that do it. It's becoming a big deal, and dieticians and doctors are getting behind the movement as well. Teaching children to be compassionate at a young age is never a bad thing.

I would like to raise my baby vegan, but his father is not very supportive of that choice. Right now he eats meat, but one he is eating table food I want to make vegan food. My son lives with me so I make all the food decisions, but his father is stuck in his meat-eater ways.

sad That would definitely make me angry. It is YOUR child. I guess I am a bit feminist, because even though the father played a role, it is still your baby. >.<

If he paid for food I would let him have more of a say in what my son eats, but that is a different story. My mom is also a big pusher of the onmi diet, and we live with her right now, so she is more of a problem. When I make homemade baby food I make it vegan, but most of his jar food has meat. To my knowledge, the brand he eats only has one vegan and one vegetarian option in the stage 3 foods (there are more in the purees but he has outgrown those). He loves the vegan food I make and rarely turns down veggies. He is not a fan of yogurt or eggs either. When he turns one he will transition from formula to milk. I will ask his pediatricians opinion as well at his 12 month.

I wouldn't give him cow's milk. sad I mean, I can't tell you what to do, but it seems like you really want to try. Babies don't have a need for milk beyond the breast (or formula) after a year. Though, soymilk or almond milk would be good for cereals and stuff.

Sparkly Fairy

Lady Callie G
Harmony-Miryam
Lady Callie G
Harmony-Miryam
Lady Callie G
Harmony-Miryam
I have a random question for the thread. What is your opinion on raising children to be vegan/vegetarians?

I would raise any children I had to be vegan. There are plenty of books and websites that teach you how to do it healthfully, and many many mothers that do it. It's becoming a big deal, and dieticians and doctors are getting behind the movement as well. Teaching children to be compassionate at a young age is never a bad thing.

I would like to raise my baby vegan, but his father is not very supportive of that choice. Right now he eats meat, but one he is eating table food I want to make vegan food. My son lives with me so I make all the food decisions, but his father is stuck in his meat-eater ways.

sad That would definitely make me angry. It is YOUR child. I guess I am a bit feminist, because even though the father played a role, it is still your baby. >.<

If he paid for food I would let him have more of a say in what my son eats, but that is a different story. My mom is also a big pusher of the onmi diet, and we live with her right now, so she is more of a problem. When I make homemade baby food I make it vegan, but most of his jar food has meat. To my knowledge, the brand he eats only has one vegan and one vegetarian option in the stage 3 foods (there are more in the purees but he has outgrown those). He loves the vegan food I make and rarely turns down veggies. He is not a fan of yogurt or eggs either. When he turns one he will transition from formula to milk. I will ask his pediatricians opinion as well at his 12 month.

I wouldn't give him cow's milk. sad I mean, I can't tell you what to do, but it seems like you really want to try. Babies don't have a need for milk beyond the breast (or formula) after a year. Though, soymilk or almond milk would be good for cereals and stuff.

I've used both cow's milk and almond milk in his food, and he will eat both, but I would rather he have the almond milk.
i think once he turns one I will raise him vegan, need time to adjust the family :/
I actually think his Dad will be the easiest one to convince, because I suspect he is a little scared of me razz He will only be a problem once Nathan starts spending time at his house.

8,900 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Harmony-Miryam

That's a cute name. smile Most children (and people) are lactose intolerant. Babies know if it makes them feel uncomfortable and will choose something else. My friend is raising her child as an omnivore, but he always dives for fruits and veggies and LOVES almond milk! I think kids just know. smile

Sparkly Fairy

Lady Callie G
Harmony-Miryam

That's a cute name. smile Most children (and people) are lactose intolerant. Babies know if it makes them feel uncomfortable and will choose something else. My friend is raising her child as an omnivore, but he always dives for fruits and veggies and LOVES almond milk! I think kids just know. smile

Thank you smile
As he gets older I plan to approach meat-eating the same way I will religion.
I don't eat it, but if he is curious I won't stop him.
Wow.. had did I miss 2 pages of new posts?

Anyways, I must vent.

I got on facebook last night, and saw on my news feed that one of my facebook friends is getting rid of his dog. She's 7 and very nice and if she doesn't find a home, he's going to shoot her. I was so angry when I saw that. Not that he could no longer care for his dog, but that it's literally do or die finding a home for him. I told him to take her to the humane society and everyone jumped down my throat saying 'well, she's just going to be put to sleep' and that I'm ignorant for not wanting a relatively young dog to die. I've worked at the humane society in our town, and the employees work so hard to convince perspective pet owners to consider older dogs. Plus, a lot of people want dogs that are already house broken and relatively trained.

I contacted peta, but alas, no response. I don;t know what else I can do. I can't keep the dog(too many animals already) and I can't just go get her and take her to the human society myself, I have no car. I have no idea what to do and I would really like to not see a dog that could have a future with someone who won't just ******** throw her out, get shot.

8,900 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Peppermint Cherry

Anyways, I must vent.

I got on facebook last night, and saw on my news feed that one of my facebook friends is getting rid of his dog. She's 7 and very nice and if she doesn't find a home, he's going to shoot her. I was so angry when I saw that. Not that he could no longer care for his dog, but that it's literally do or die finding a home for him. I told him to take her to the humane society and everyone jumped down my throat saying 'well, she's just going to be put to sleep' and that I'm ignorant for not wanting a relatively young dog to die. I've worked at the humane society in our town, and the employees work so hard to convince perspective pet owners to consider older dogs. Plus, a lot of people want dogs that are already house broken and relatively trained.

I contacted peta, but alas, no response. I don;t know what else I can do. I can't keep the dog(too many animals already) and I can't just go get her and take her to the human society myself, I have no car. I have no idea what to do and I would really like to not see a dog that could have a future with someone who won't just ******** throw her out, get shot.

That's awful. From my experience, PETA doesn't do s**t to help in situations like this. Depending on how crowded the shelter is, the dog is likely to be put down. It's entirely your friend's fault though, and he needs to own up to what he is doing. Is there any way you can look for potential foster homes for the doggie?
Cimex Nympho
I had some flax seed/soy oatmeal for breakfast. Lunch was a spinach salad, some blueberries, some peanuts, and a 10-grain muffin with jam. Dinner was kidney beans with vegetables. Then I had some soy ice cream with fruit, and grapes. I was so damn hungry a few hours later I grabbed some fries -__-;

That's a wee bit of sugar there at the end of the day, I think...
Maybe you should try having something a little more filling as a snack. Not enough as a meal, but put some chia seeds, nuts, or a granola with the ice cream instead of... What, no. Fruit and nuts as a snack. emotion_donotwant Trying to recommend "nice" cream over fruit is silly, Gai. -Slaps self-
Okay, maybe if you wanna splurge on "nice" cream, add nuts or chia seeds to it.
But otherwise, that sounds like a good day.
Peppermint Cherry

Anyways, I must vent.

That probably constitutes as animal cruelty and you -may- be able to report him to police if he does do that. I don't think one is able to shoot their own dog just out of the blue like that unless it were on the verge of death and there was no chance of saving it.

Bashful Shapeshifter

7,950 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Lady Callie G
Cimex Nympho
I had some flax seed/soy oatmeal for breakfast. Lunch was a spinach salad, some blueberries, some peanuts, and a 10-grain muffin with jam. Dinner was kidney beans with vegetables. Then I had some soy ice cream with fruit, and grapes. I was so damn hungry a few hours later I grabbed some fries -__-;

That actually sounds like a good day of eating. Hmmm. You shouldn't be hungry with that. I would say that you need more carbs from fruit, grains or potatoes. Salad will NEVER be filling. Those foods go through you quickly because they digest normally, unlike meat/dairy.

Yeah...Maybe that's why? Only last week I was eating a bunch of really shitty junk food. So my body just needs to adjust?

Bashful Shapeshifter

7,950 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Mister Good Gai
Cimex Nympho

That's a wee bit of sugar there at the end of the day, I think...
Maybe you should try having something a little more filling as a snack. Not enough as a meal, but put some chia seeds, nuts, or a granola with the ice cream instead of... What, no. Fruit and nuts as a snack. emotion_donotwant Trying to recommend "nice" cream over fruit is silly, Gai. -Slaps self-
Okay, maybe if you wanna splurge on "nice" cream, add nuts or chia seeds to it.
But otherwise, that sounds like a good day.

Well I did put some almonds and granola in it also...pahahaha.

But I really did just feel super hungry. Could it be that I'm just used to eating more, so my stomach has to shrink? Cause only last week I was eating poorly, and too much.
Cimex Nympho

But I really did just feel super hungry. Could it be that I'm just used to eating more, so my stomach has to shrink? Cause only last week I was eating poorly, and too much.

Hungry Hungry Nympho?
Possibly. Body/brain needs to adjust to knowing that you don't need to eat as much because you're eating better, healthier things. I don't think it's a stomach issue unless you have been stuffing it past its' stress point for years and years.

Bashful Shapeshifter

7,950 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Mister Good Gai
Cimex Nympho

Hungry Hungry Nympho?
Possibly. Body/brain needs to adjust to knowing that you don't need to eat as much because you're eating better, healthier things. I don't think it's a stomach issue unless you have been stuffing it past its' stress point for years and years.

Maybe so. Not for years, but I have done so significantly in the past. Not so much for the past few years though--just occasionally. I dunno. This week I was only s'posed to have one vegan day, and next week I'll have two, etc.

I feel like it's going to be more difficult than I anticipated.
Cimex Nympho
Maybe so. Not for years, but I have done so significantly in the past. Not so much for the past few years though--just occasionally. I dunno. This week I was only s'posed to have one vegan day, and next week I'll have two, etc.

Maybe it's a question of how you eat your food, then?
And, no, the way you're doing things sounds good. It's not like you're flat-out going cold-tofurky like Gai did.
I just remembered that I need to go get that lentil "cheese" sauce.
Lentil Cheesy Sauce
3/4 cup red lentils, rinsed
1&1/2 cups water or vegetable stock
2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed once
1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp good salt
1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (nut or soy, not rice)
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup tahini
ground black pepper to taste
2 tbsp oil

1. Cover the lentils with the water/stock in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and skim off any foam that's risen to the surface.
2. Stir in the garlic, mustard, thyme, and salt. Simmer for 20 minutes until lentils are tender and almost fall apart.
3. Combine lentil mix with all the other ingredients (except the oil) in a blender. Blend until smooth and then while the blender is running, stream in the oil until emulsified. Adjust seasonings to taste.

One time I added an ancho chile to the mix and it made for a wonderful chip dip along with guacamole.

Bashful Shapeshifter

7,950 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Mister Good Gai
Cimex Nympho

Maybe it's a question of how you eat your food, then?
And, no, the way you're doing things sounds good. It's not like you're flat-out going cold-tofurky like Gai did.
I just remembered that I need to go get that lentil "cheese" sauce.
Lentil Cheesy Sauce
3/4 cup red lentils, rinsed
1&1/2 cups water or vegetable stock
2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed once
1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp good salt
1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (nut or soy, not rice)
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup tahini
ground black pepper to taste
2 tbsp oil

1. Cover the lentils with the water/stock in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and skim off any foam that's risen to the surface.
2. Stir in the garlic, mustard, thyme, and salt. Simmer for 20 minutes until lentils are tender and almost fall apart.
3. Combine lentil mix with all the other ingredients (except the oil) in a blender. Blend until smooth and then while the blender is running, stream in the oil until emulsified. Adjust seasonings to taste.

One time I added an ancho chile to the mix and it made for a wonderful chip dip along with guacamole.

You mean in regards to speed? The only thing I ate quickly was those fries cause I was so goddamn hungry >>;

Oooh, thanks be to you!

8,900 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Cimex Nympho
Lady Callie G
Cimex Nympho

That actually sounds like a good day of eating. Hmmm. You shouldn't be hungry with that. I would say that you need more carbs from fruit, grains or potatoes. Salad will NEVER be filling. Those foods go through you quickly because they digest normally, unlike meat/dairy.

Yeah...Maybe that's why? Only last week I was eating a bunch of really shitty junk food. So my body just needs to adjust?

Yes, when I eat crappy (even vegan crappy food does it), I feel hungry going back to lots of healthy food.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff