Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Cultist

Have you ever had or made tea eggs? It's a boiled egg that you let sit in spice tea (as well as a couple of other added ingredients) and let the egg soak up the flavoring before cracking it open. It also give the interior surface of the egg a marbled effect that can be different colors depending on tea. I've only just heard about this and want to try it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Dapper Lunatic

7,300 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Nope, but i've wanted to. Just don't over cook it.

Beloved Lunatic

9,600 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Hero 100
I've heard of it, too. I've never done it, but I'm a little curious about it. I'm not really sure how eggs and tea would taste, though.

Greedy Cat

Being Chinese, I have it very often. You really don't taste the tea that much, the other flavours are pretty strong so it's not like you're eating tea leaves. Personally I like it, it's much better than plain hard boiled eggs. Just make sure to take a spoon or whatever utensils you have on hand and lightly crack open the egg shells a little after they harden so the flavours can actually get inside.

Winter Wraith's Compadre

Blessed Genius

6,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
~*~

I have never heard of that before, sounds pretty impressive. I should totally try that with my tea next time.
I imagine that you would need some particularly strong tea in order for the patterns to take effect.

~*~

7,150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
I don't remember the taste of it but it was something my mom did when I was in elementary school.
Maybe it was an asian thing?

xhuu's Wife

Married Millionaire

22,800 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Married 100
  • Over Easy 100
black tea + soy sauce (the cooking kind) + bay leaves <v. important = yummy, tea egg! Super easy to cook <3

Dangerous Healer

15,250 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
You can read about my adventures with tea eggs here (here being page 12 of my tea thread in this forum).

They came out really well, and I've seen some other recipes for them (if you want, I'll post up a recipe that's in one of my books, although I haven't gotten a chance to try it yet). Since it's a traditional snack, you're likely to find many different recipes with few similarities if you look around the internet.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff