Welcome to Gaia! ::

Stromboli is one of the tastiest meals on earth. When I was working graveyard shifts, my boss used to make us stromboli once in a while and it was all we could think about all night.

Stromboli is similar to a calzone, but doesn't require sauce. A stromboli is also longer, more log like, and is sliced into 1-2 inch thick sandwich servings, rather than served as a semicircle shaped hot pocket. When you prepare the stromboli, you are going to try to get it about 4-6" wide and over 12" long after baking, and between 3 to 5" wide and over 10" long before baking. You will typically want to have extra dough so you can completely encase your ingredients.

The Ingredients are pretty simple:
1. Pizza Dough (about 12-24 oz+, or a fist sized ball or larger, more dough is fine)
2. meat (sliced, unbreaded strips, or mini meatballs work best)
3. Cheese (at least equal portions to meat is recommended. use a cheese that melts)

you will want to roll out the dough to about as flat as a CD/DVD case or a dollar's worth of quarters, give or take. When your dough is too thin, the oils in the cheese and most meats will soak through to the bottom so you need the dough to be a little thicker than pie crust but way thinner than something like a donut or chicago deep dish pizza. Pinky thickness is probably almost too thick because when it bakes its going to double or triple in size.

For every person you plan on serving, you will want about 3 ounces of meat. Ham is super salty when baked like this so you don't need as much. All meats should be pre cooked and not raw, like deli meat. Chicken and steak strips can be used but ham strips will be excessively salty. Pepperoni is also a good option. You want to create a long thin flat dough sheet on top of a cookie sheet or pizza pan, and if your dough isn't buttery, you will want to coat the pan in flour so it doesn't stick. don't use a pizza dough out of the can - those doughs tend to be super salty and the texture is way off after baking.

Use a cheese you want to eat hot. Cheddar, Mozzarella, Various Jack Cheeses, and so on. Don't use a cheese that won't melt like Mizithra or Parmesan. Avoid salad cheeses like blue cheese or Gorgonzola. Soft cheeses like ricotta or other pasta stuffing cheeses work best with meat balls or other pasta meats, but you may want to add pasta sauce which kind of takes you more into the territory of Calzone. If you are a vegetarian, you may substitute a vegetable or mix of vegetables that go well with cheese and also can cook in less than 30 minutes. potatoes and carrots don't cook fast enough, but other than root veggies, use your best judgment.

Create your road of toppings, about 3-4 inches wide and leave room for the edges to fold up. I prefer to layer the toppings like meat-cheese-meat-cheese for instance, but it doesn't really matter. If you want this to be super simple, you will have one giant rectangle of dough and only fill the bottom half, so if you had a pile of dough rolled out to 8"x10", you would start from the bottom and make a row of meat & cheese 3'x9'. At this point you can fold over the dough and squish the edges together, score/slice the top at diagonals about 1/16th of an inch or so maybe 3-5 times about 2-3 inches apart and toss it in the oven on 350 degrees F for 15-25 minutes or until the dough has risen and reaches one of those neat golden brown colors. I live in a high altitude so my cooking times are different. Humidity will also change your cooking time, so about 10 minutes after it goes into the oven, you need to keep checking it about every 2-3 minutes. It takes about 5-15 minutes to cool down depending on the room temperature and humidity. When you take it out, you want to slice it, the 8x10 version that folds into a 4x10 will probably be able to make 5-7 slices, each about 2" thick. A chef knife or long sharp knife is best. A pizza cutter will work if its really big or really sharp.

When I personally do stromboli, I split the dough into two bunches, make my 4x10+" floor, put topping on, and then create a "pie crust" criss cross checkerboard pattern, like in this linked picture: woven bread
The strips have to be about 7-8 inches long and about 1" wide and they like to stick together and it takes about twice as long to make this way but it looks nice.

Stromboli when properly made is a great food for guests, friends, and family.

Dapper Reveler

jeez
how can you not recommend sausage and mozzarella or provolone. That's like the standard. haha
Also, although romano and parmesan don't melt all to wonderfully they certainly enhance the flavor if used sparingly and not as the main cheese. (I recommend parmesan if you're in the US since it's naturally made with cows milk and so there's more availability of good cheese round these parts, I've been to the belgioioso plant however and although they use cows milk they are very quality conscious there)
Avgvsto
jeez
how can you not recommend sausage and mozzarella or provolone. That's like the standard. haha
Also, although romano and parmesan don't melt all to wonderfully they certainly enhance the flavor if used sparingly and not as the main cheese. (I recommend parmesan if you're in the US since it's naturally made with cows milk and so there's more availability of good cheese round these parts, I've been to the belgioioso plant however and although they use cows milk they are very quality conscious there)

I did recommend Mozzarella. Sausage is too vague - my friend just made some deer sausage out of god knows what parts. Breakfast patties aren't the same as a smoked sausage, or the white colored polish for instance. I would leave sausage in the same category as vegetarian stromboli: use your best judgment because not every vegetable (or sausage) is going to work.

Dapper Reveler

Michael Noire
Avgvsto
jeez

I did recommend Mozzarella. Sausage is too vague - my friend just made some deer sausage out of god knows what parts. Breakfast patties aren't the same as a smoked sausage, or the white colored polish for instance. I would leave sausage in the same category as vegetarian stromboli: use your best judgment because not every vegetable (or sausage) is going to work.
Oh tbh even tho I'm in the business, like i've honestly operated a sausage plant for a year or two, I always thought sausage was only pig. Either way sausage is the standard, the ability to flavor sausage so particularly lets it fit appropriately towards any flavor you're going for.
Avgvsto
Michael Noire
Avgvsto
jeez

Oh tbh even tho I'm in the business, like i've honestly operated a sausage plant for a year or two, I always thought sausage was only pig. Either way sausage is the standard, the ability to flavor sausage so particularly lets it fit appropriately towards any flavor you're going for.

I got some pretty disgusting kielbasa from the Black Bear diner. Either that or kielbasa just sucks. No you can make sausage of out of anything with meat, including no meat. Vegetarian sausage for instance was featured on an episode of master chef. I think bologna is sausage, so is pastrami, salami, and almost everything else in that shape except cheese. Sausage is pretty ambiguous especially if you've lived on a campus full of vegans and exchange students.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Michael Noire
Avgvsto
Michael Noire
Avgvsto
jeez

I got some pretty disgusting kielbasa from the Black Bear diner. Either that or kielbasa just sucks. No you can make sausage of out of anything with meat, including no meat. Vegetarian sausage for instance was featured on an episode of master chef. I think bologna is sausage, so is pastrami, salami, and almost everything else in that shape except cheese. Sausage is pretty ambiguous especially if you've lived on a campus full of vegans and exchange students.
Pastrami is sliced from a brisket that has been brined, spiced, and smoked. Is it not made from ground bits of meat etc as is sausage.
Ratttking
Michael Noire
Avgvsto
Michael Noire
Avgvsto
jeez

Pastrami is sliced from a brisket that has been brined, spiced, and smoked. Is it not made from ground bits of meat etc as is sausage.

ahh, you are right, my bad. I was thinking of salami and not paying attention. Pastrami would probaly work on a stromboli with a strong light colored cheese.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff