Welcome to Gaia! ::

What is your favorite pumpkin based food?

Pie of course 0.34 34.0% [ 17 ]
Bread 0.16 16.0% [ 8 ]
Seeds 0.12 12.0% [ 6 ]
Pancakes 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Latte 0.12 12.0% [ 6 ]
Other 0.26 26.0% [ 13 ]
Total Votes:[ 50 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Apocalyptic Flip-Flopper

15,650 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
TheEdgeOfTheAbyss

I don't know if it's an american only thing, but at least in the south US, its a very seasonal thing. It's almost impossible to get fresh pumpkin out of season, so when fall comes around people make the most of it. And of course even then not everyone goes crazy for pumpkin stuff.

Pumpkin actually lends itself rather well to sweet dishes as well as savory. It has a little natural sweetness too it, and is usually paired with spicy sweet flavors like cinnamon.

Well, maybe that does make a little more sense then. See, I can just grow pumpkins before we hit the cold weather, but I can get pumpkin all year round and any random supermarket or whatever. I guess all the heat in this country helps there! I suppose if I couldn't get it most of the year, it might be more exciting when I could.

I know it tastes kind of sweet, but it still boggles my mind at the notion of putting it in muffins. I suppose it's just a learnt thing though, it's in my head that pumpkin belongs in the savoury section and it's really hard to budge. Maybe I should be brave and try one of these sweet things to broaden my mind!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Freddus
TheEdgeOfTheAbyss

I don't know if it's an american only thing, but at least in the south US, its a very seasonal thing. It's almost impossible to get fresh pumpkin out of season, so when fall comes around people make the most of it. And of course even then not everyone goes crazy for pumpkin stuff.

Pumpkin actually lends itself rather well to sweet dishes as well as savory. It has a little natural sweetness too it, and is usually paired with spicy sweet flavors like cinnamon.

Well, maybe that does make a little more sense then. See, I can just grow pumpkins before we hit the cold weather, but I can get pumpkin all year round and any random supermarket or whatever. I guess all the heat in this country helps there! I suppose if I couldn't get it most of the year, it might be more exciting when I could.

I know it tastes kind of sweet, but it still boggles my mind at the notion of putting it in muffins. I suppose it's just a learnt thing though, it's in my head that pumpkin belongs in the savoury section and it's really hard to budge. Maybe I should be brave and try one of these sweet things to broaden my mind!

You should it's very good! You could always ease into the sweetness by making only slightly sweet things, like muffins or breads.

I've had the opposite problem honestly. I grew up with pumpkin as a sweet, and haven't really worked my way up to trying it savory.

Liberal Browser

i love the fall season, especially for pumpkin 4laugh

Apocalyptic Flip-Flopper

15,650 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
TheEdgeOfTheAbyss

You should it's very good! You could always ease into the sweetness by making only slightly sweet things, like muffins or breads.

I've had the opposite problem honestly. I grew up with pumpkin as a sweet, and haven't really worked my way up to trying it savory.

Really? You've never had a good pumpkin soup with masses of sour cream and maybe some fresh crusty bread? That, right there, is my idea of perfect pumpkin. smile

I have had potato bread before, so maybe I should give pumpkin bread a shot. It doesn't make me cringe so much, which is a bonus. And I think I even have some yeast in the pantry! Now I just need to go get me a good butternut, or Queensland Blue...
Freddus
TheEdgeOfTheAbyss

Really? You've never had a good pumpkin soup with masses of sour cream and maybe some fresh crusty bread? That, right there, is my idea of perfect pumpkin. smile

I have had potato bread before, so maybe I should give pumpkin bread a shot. It doesn't make me cringe so much, which is a bonus. And I think I even have some yeast in the pantry! Now I just need to go get me a good butternut, or Queensland Blue...

Butternut? Like Butternut Because that I have had that as savory. When most Americans (Which I assume the majority of the posters are) refer to pumpkins, They mean the orange Pie pumpkin.

Rainbow Bloodsucker

Pumpkin flavoured pumpkin; that is my favourite emotion_kirakira

I've already made pumpkin pudding twice in the last three days, as well as a "pie" and muffins.

Apocalyptic Flip-Flopper

15,650 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
TheEdgeOfTheAbyss

Butternut? Like Butternut Because that I have had that as savory. When most Americans (Which I assume the majority of the posters are) refer to pumpkins, They mean the orange Pie pumpkin.

When I think of pumpkin, Butternut is the first thing that pops into my mind. I've had a host of different varieties of pumpkin, but never anything that approaches the picture of the pie pumpkin. Hmmm...

Maybe we don't get that variety here at all!
Freddus
TheEdgeOfTheAbyss

When I think of pumpkin, Butternut is the first thing that pops into my mind. I've had a host of different varieties of pumpkin, but never anything that approaches the picture of the pie pumpkin. Hmmm...

Maybe we don't get that variety here at all!

Usually the wide varieties of pumpkin here are collectively called "winter squashes" and pumpkin is reserved for that one type. I'm not sure what else they'd be called.

But butternut is definitely my favorite savory winter vegetable.

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
I absolutely love pumpkin bread. Tried it for the first time at Starbucks today and fell in love with it.

Wealthy Heckler

14,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
Don't forget you guys, it's also Pumpkin Smash smoothie season at Jamba Juice! 4laugh

Lonely Sailor

9,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Mythey Maysonia
Don't forget you guys, it's also Pumpkin Smash smoothie season at Jamba Juice! 4laugh

Never been there for that

Apocalyptic Flip-Flopper

15,650 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
TheEdgeOfTheAbyss

Usually the wide varieties of pumpkin here are collectively called "winter squashes" and pumpkin is reserved for that one type. I'm not sure what else they'd be called.

... huh. See, to me, this is a squash. Everything else is pumpkin. Well, not everything else, there's obviously other things in the world other than pumpkin.

Terminology is ever so weird.

It's like the whole biscuit/cookie thing. I have that argument with a lot of people...

(My partner wanted me to write - 'That's not a squash, this is a squash', but I didn't in case you missed the Simpson's reference and thought I was being aggressive about it. I'm such a wimp.)
Freddus
TheEdgeOfTheAbyss

... huh. See, to me, this is a squash. Everything else is pumpkin. Well, not everything else, there's obviously other things in the world other than pumpkin.

Terminology is ever so weird.

It's like the whole biscuit/cookie thing. I have that argument with a lot of people...

(My partner wanted me to write - 'That's not a squash, this is a squash', but I didn't in case you missed the Simpson's reference and thought I was being aggressive about it. I'm such a wimp.)

I've never seen one of those before Lol.

Or Fries/Chips/Crisp. That always catches me off guard.

(I wouldn't have caught the reference but is still kinda funny)

Daring Darling

10,650 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Cat Fancier 100
My mum makes these pumpkin chocolate chip muffins that are super good. That and a creamy pumpkin and apple soup. I love fall because of how easy it is to get pumpkin dishes.

Apocalyptic Flip-Flopper

15,650 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
TheEdgeOfTheAbyss

I've never seen one of those before Lol.

Or Fries/Chips/Crisp. That always catches me off guard.

(I wouldn't have caught the reference but is still kinda funny)

It occurs to me, belatedly, that if you don't know squashes as I know squashes, that photo was distinctly lacking in perspective. They're little suckers, with a diameter maybe half the size of my hand.

Yeah, here we use 'chips' for both fries and crisps.

One of my brothers went over to America way once and apparently the thing that stuck with him was when he asked for tomato sauce and they gave him tomato juice. He actually got fairly indignant over it - in a 'we know that tomato sauce and ketchup are the same thing, why doesn't...' blah, blah, blah'.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff