Welcome to Gaia! ::

Blazing Wildcat

10,550 Points
  • Tundra Brawler 100
  • Candy Fiend 150
  • Comrades in Arms 150
If anyone has heard of this japanese food called onijuri (also i could be spelling this wrong sweatdrop ) could you tell me your favorite kinds and/or receipes? It's a kinda rice ball with flavoring I think....
boil rice, shape into a ball, fill with whatever you like, put a piece of nori on it.

end.
giri. onigiri. Or rice ball in english. They don't have to be filled with anything, they can just be a ball of rice although most frequently they have a sheet of nori (dried seaweed) wrapped around them. You can make them in triangles or balls and put anything you like in the center. The more popular flavors are sake (not "alcohol" in this usage here but "salmon" wink and probably umiboshi (pickled plum, very sour).

Since I rarely have sake on hand in the house I like to make just my own non-traditional onigiri. I use canned white meat chicken (just like tuna, but chicken) and mix it with a bit of miracle whip and wasabi.

After you cook your sticky rice add sushi vinegar (vinegar and sugar) let it cool a bit or it will hurt your hands! Wet your hands with a bit of water and take a small amount of rice (depending on how big you want the balls). Cup your palm with rice in the center and press it down a little, add your filling (not too much! (for the amount of rice), add some rice on top of the filling, take your other hand and curl it over the ball. Next just squeeze the rice together into your desired shape.

Or you can do the plastic wrap method, put some rice on the plastic wrap then the filling, then more rice at top. Shape at will.
Onigiri?

Make rice. Sticky rice.

dip hands in salt water, and mold into desired shape (usually triangle-ish)

Add seaweed on/around it.
lol i like to fill mine with non traditional stuff, sweet things too! like PB&J. lol
Sweet stuff sounds good, although I don't know about PB&J eek
Where do you get sticky rice? Or is it just normal rice cooked a certain way?
Wow, I didn't know onigiri was so simple to make! =O

Versatile Ladykiller

7,250 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
there's a step by step picture tutorial Here!! it's really useful I think you might like it
Sybil Celestia
Sweet stuff sounds good, although I don't know about PB&J eek
Where do you get sticky rice? Or is it just normal rice cooked a certain way?

sticky rice or japonica rices are more glutonious than Indica rices so the grains will stick to each other. This sticky white rice is the rice in basically all traditional Japanese foods.

To make it find sticky rice in your super market (the only brand I can think of off the top of my head is Calrose are many others). Instant rice will kill you. Okay it won't be it is just... not good for recipes (or to eat, haha). Remember rice will fill with water and make a lot! One cup of dry rice will make three cups of cooked rice! eek

So measure the amount of dry rice you want for the amount for cooked rice into a sauce pan. Add two cups water for every one cup of dry rice (some people use 1:1 or 1:25 cups per 1 of rice. I often use the "finger method" (fill the pot with water until it reaches your first joint sweatdrop ). Bring the rice to a boil, stirring as you go. When the rice boils cover it with the pot's lid and turn the heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes. Once your timer goes off turn off the heat and wait at least 10 minutes more! This lets the rice steam and if you don't let it sit I find the rice is crunchy and blah. Then fluff the rice with a fork and you're good to go.

Maa, at my apartment we have cruse-ed electric burners and I can never get my rice to come out right. So I bought a cheap rice cooker/steamer. sweatdrop But at home with my lovely gas burners I have no problem cooking on the stove.
it's always nice to add some salmon or tuna shreds in the rice~~

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Onigiri is all about the rice, man!

Bad rice = bad onigiri. Even some awesome fillings won't help with bad rice.

Here's an awesome way to make onigiri, and an awesome blog to boot:

http://www.justhungry.com/2007/01/onigiri_omusubi_revisited_an_e.html
um...I know shop and save sells packaged siticky rice...I'm not sure how good it is thouhg...I liek my onigiri with strawberries or crumbled poxey in them XD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff