Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wealthy Informer

2,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
(I'm going to call Jello 'Jelly' because I'm from England)

I've been making jelly for ages, since I had my wisdom teeth out, because it's easy to make, tastes good and I snack on it.

I often add a bit of juice instead of water to add different flavours and tinned fruit. Maybe an idea would be to soak the fruit in alcohol so that way the alcohol is only in the fruit and the jelly keeps its firmness for longer?

Dapper Explorer

Alexander J Luthor
Adain-chan
I've never liked Jell-o shots for exactly the reason you describe, the booze flavor is way too strong, but this is an excellent idea. I shall have to pass it around to all my friends.
I love strong booze, and I LOVE jello, but the two just don't mix for me.
Indeed. If I'm going to take a shot of something, I'd rather it be a straight shot of that something.

Lonely Capitalist

11,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Alexander J Luthor
Valtiel the Watcher
For me I hate jello shots (well dressed up shots in general), but for very different reasons.
Do explain, sir. 3nodding
I will admit to not liking drinks designed to disguise the flavor of alcohol. I mean if you think jello shots are too stron then... Well I can't help you, though using flavorless gelatin to create a gell like cocktail while still preserving the flavored used, that might be something I'd experement with.

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
Alexander J Luthor
oTrissa
You should try mixing 2-3 flavors. It ends up good if you pick ones that mix well.
I'm thinking of trying to make a pina colada one...

3cups boiling water
1pack Pineapple jello
2packs Pina Colada jello
1cup Rum
1can Cut pineapple
2bottles Mike's Hard Lemonade
Marachino cherries

Mix pineapple and rum in bowl and let soak in the fridge for about 3 hours.
Boil water and mix in jello packets until jello is dissolved.
Mix in Mike's Hard lemonade and rum-soaked pineapple.
Set aside shot glasses, or small cups, and evenly fill each one, making sure each glass gets some pineapple.
Place in the fridge and let harden. About 4 hours. Top each one with a marachino cherry... and possibly some tropical passion whipahol Whipped Lightning if you can find any.

Next paycheck, it is ON!!!
This sounds really interesting I would try it but I hate pineapple, lol.Got any other recopes?

Dapper Gekko

16,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
I actually tried Oreos Cookies and Cream Jello a few days ago... that made with like... Baileys would be so awesome... X3

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Rennie`
(I'm going to call Jello 'Jelly' because I'm from England)

I've been making jelly for ages, since I had my wisdom teeth out, because it's easy to make, tastes good and I snack on it.

I often add a bit of juice instead of water to add different flavours and tinned fruit. Maybe an idea would be to soak the fruit in alcohol so that way the alcohol is only in the fruit and the jelly keeps its firmness for longer?
I was thinking rum-soaked pineapple for a pina colada thing and I just dump the fruit and whatever doesn't absorb into the jelly, but I don't know if 1:5 rum/water ratio would work, unless the rum was strong enough to mix well with the jelly. Then again, I'm not a constant rum drinker. I sense mad science in the kitchen. ;D

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Valtiel the Watcher
Alexander J Luthor
Valtiel the Watcher
For me I hate jello shots (well dressed up shots in general), but for very different reasons.
Do explain, sir. 3nodding
I will admit to not liking drinks designed to disguise the flavor of alcohol. I mean if you think jello shots are too stron then... Well I can't help you, though using flavorless gelatin to create a gell like cocktail while still preserving the flavored used, that might be something I'd experement with.
Oh no. I love strong drinks. It's just that in order to make a hard liquor jello shot solidify you have to put it in the freezer, and it creates a horrible tasting blob that freezes your teeth and burns your throat at the same time. I like the idea, but the only way I can make it taste good to me is if I dilute it to the point that you'd only get a buzz after eating about 20 cups, or use weak alcohol that can solidify at fridge temperatures.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
oTrissa
Alexander J Luthor
oTrissa
You should try mixing 2-3 flavors. It ends up good if you pick ones that mix well.
I'm thinking of trying to make a pina colada one...

3cups boiling water
1pack Pineapple jello
2packs Pina Colada jello
1cup Rum
1can Cut pineapple
2bottles Mike's Hard Lemonade
Marachino cherries

Mix pineapple and rum in bowl and let soak in the fridge for about 3 hours.
Boil water and mix in jello packets until jello is dissolved.
Mix in Mike's Hard lemonade and rum-soaked pineapple.
Set aside shot glasses, or small cups, and evenly fill each one, making sure each glass gets some pineapple.
Place in the fridge and let harden. About 4 hours. Top each one with a marachino cherry... and possibly some tropical passion whipahol Whipped Lightning if you can find any.

Next paycheck, it is ON!!!
This sounds really interesting I would try it but I hate pineapple, lol.Got any other recopes?
I was thinking at work that I'd come up with more drink-turned-shot recipes and change this thread into a list. 3nodding

*off the top of my head* Strawberry daiquiri!! (note that I don't know if these will work or not, I just guess and check)

2.5cups boiling water
3packs Lime Jello
1cup Rum (should be white rum, forgot to mention that in the colada recipe)
1lb Strawberries
1bottle Mike's Hard Limeade
1can Strawberry Colada or Strawberry Love Whipahol Whipped Lightning

Wash off and slice up the strawberries (leave some whole to decorate the glasses) and mix them in the rum. Let them soak them in the fridge for about 3 hours.
Boil water and mix in Jello until mix is dissolved.
Mix in Mike's Hard limeade and rum-soaked strawberries.
Fill glasses evenly with Jello and strawberries, then place in fridge to set for about 4 hours.
Remove from fridge when set and top with Whipped Lightning and a full strawberry.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Zetsuki
I actually tried Oreos Cookies and Cream Jello a few days ago... that made with like... Baileys would be so awesome... X3
omg what? I thought they only had that in the pudding mix! emotion_kirakira I have a friend who loves Baileys and Guinness.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Have you ever used agar? It is a type of gelatin made from seaweed, and unlike gelatin made from bones, it can be set up using cold liquids. I wonder if you could achieve a higher alcohol content with this kind without resorting to grain. Wouldn't it be cool to have a solid rum jelly? If it works, you could try it with your favorite sweet liqueur.

You can buy agar in Asian groceries.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Ratttking
Have you ever used agar? It is a type of gelatin made from seaweed, and unlike gelatin made from bones, it can be set up using cold liquids. I wonder if you could achieve a higher alcohol content with this kind without resorting to grain. Wouldn't it be cool to have a solid rum jelly? If it works, you could try it with your favorite sweet liqueur.

I've definitely heard of agar. I think this Chinese candy one of my friends bought me once was made of it. I just have no idea where I could get some. The only grocery store in town is just down the way, so I suppose I could look on my next day off if Girlfriend's willing to join me. Why does rum jello sound so epic right now?

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking

I've definitely heard of agar. I think this Chinese candy one of my friends bought me once was made of it. I just have no idea where I could get some. The only grocery store in town is just down the way, so I suppose I could look on my next day off if Girlfriend's willing to join me. Why does rum jello sound so epic right now?
Because it's rum that wiggles! cat_blaugh

You know, I think I might be wrong about it not needing to be boiled at all, but it does have better gelling properties than bone gelatin, so you could still use a higher concentration of alcohol probably.

It comes in different forms, sticks and powdered. You could use either to make the jelly shots, but if you get the stick type you can also use it in savory dishes. Soak it in cold water to soften it, cut into bite-sized pieces and serve with a sauce or add to stir-fry. It doesn't have much flavor by itself, but it has an interesting texture and takes on the flavor of the ingredients it is prepared with.

Dapper Gekko

16,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
Alexander J Luthor
Zetsuki
omg what? I thought they only had that in the pudding mix! emotion_kirakira I have a friend who loves Baileys and Guinness.

Maybe it was puddingmix... >> I've actually never eaten jello, I'm Swedish and we don't really get that here... But it'd still be awesome with baileys... or any cream liqueour.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Ratttking
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking

Because it's rum that wiggles! cat_blaugh

You know, I think I might be wrong about it not needing to be boiled at all, but it does have better gelling properties than bone gelatin, so you could still use a higher concentration of alcohol probably.

It comes in different forms, sticks and powdered. You could use either to make the jelly shots, but if you get the stick type you can also use it in savory dishes. Soak it in cold water to soften it, cut into bite-sized pieces and serve with a sauce or add to stir-fry. It doesn't have much flavor by itself, but it has an interesting texture and takes on the flavor of the ingredients it is prepared with.
emotion_kirakira *jigglejiggle*

Back when I had a good manga collection, I bought this Kitchen Princess one because it always had recipes in the back. In this type of bread cake, the character used something to make it turn almost a black or a deep brown, then either dyed or bought colorful agar sticks and dropped them in like candies. It was a recipe I really wanted to try, but never did. emo I did try the sushi samdwiches, though! You get some thick, fluffy bread and cut off the crust. Squish down the slices a bit, or leave them fluffy. Then you take your ingredients; bananna, peanut butter and jelly, strawberries, nutella and jam, or whatever you want and spread them on.

With the bananna; cut off the ends and place it evenly at the end of the roll. You can slice the strawberries, though it would be easier to stick them, like carrots. Start them at the edge and roll these to the end. Just cut it into smaller pieces and you have sushi sandwhices! Because everyone loves bitesize.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Zetsuki
Alexander J Luthor
Zetsuki

Maybe it was puddingmix... >> I've actually never eaten jello, I'm Swedish and we don't really get that here... But it'd still be awesome with baileys... or any cream liqueour.
Well we do have this weird thing where we use pudding mix as pie filling because people are either too lazy or don't have time to make a real cream pie.

This still sounds good! At my work we sell oreo pie shells, which is pretty much like a grahmcracker crust. Pour a bit of cream liqueour into the pudding mix along with the milk and you've got a drunken cookie! lol

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff