Welcome to Gaia! ::

Rogue

So for Christmas my husband got a Chemex. If you don't know what that is, it is simply a glass drip coffee urn. And probably the best things I've ever made coffee with! With how thick the filter is the coffee turns out super smooth and clean! No bitterness either! I'm a simpleton when it comes to coffee. Just cream and sugar is all I add. But even then this coffee doesn't need a ton! I rotate coffee types as well and with each type it's easier to taste some of the coffee notes described in each coffee, because of how well the coffee is filtered.

Image of our Chemex:

User Image

Anyhow...I just wanna hear how some of you guys prefer to make coffee. Other methods I like include french press or simple drip coffee from my boring Mr. Coffee machine (I use this when I'm feeling lazy). So far this is one of my favorite methods now.

gaia_spoons How do you prefer to make your coffee? Drip machine? Keurig? French Press? Maybe you have something more specialty like a Chemex or Aeropress?

gaia_spoons Would you consider other options if you had a choice to?

gaia_spoons Does how you brew your coffee really matter to you?
that sounds similar to cold brewing. :O
my coffee is pretty much always cold-brewed bc i hate bitterness. :C
plus, i think our new coffeemaker is s**t. mad the coffee always tastes watered down, no matter what i do.

Tipsy Prophet

15,625 Points
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
I asked for a Bodum French press for Christmas. I keep forgetting to pick up whole bean coffee. I also love the traditional Italian espresso makers where you boil it on the stove top. Soo good.
It depends on how much time I have, but I never use coffee machines anymore or buy coffee out.

If it's work and I'm busy, I use a simple pour-over with a plastic dripper. If I'm at home or getting ready for work in the morning, I usually use the Chemex. I also have a Bodom Santos, which is a vacuum brewer, so that takes the most time--I use that mostly on the weekends.

But I love the Chemex the most. heart

Friendly Bookworm

I have a Bella Single Cup Coffee Maker. I use my own cup of my choosing and makes enough for one. No filters are needed either. I'm the only person in the house that drinks coffee so this was ideal for me.

I'm not a picky coffee person but I hate watered down or bitter coffee. I rotate my coffees as well. At the moment, I am using a store brand (If you are in central NY, you should know Wegmans. They make good stuff.) coffee.

One cup a day. Two sugars, dash of cream. And sometimes I throw a dash of cinnamon in my coffee too.

Today was house cleaning day, and my coffee maker really needs a good cleaning and descaling today.

Rogue

Fallen-Pottery-Angel
I asked for a Bodum French press for Christmas. I keep forgetting to pick up whole bean coffee. I also love the traditional Italian espresso makers where you boil it on the stove top. Soo good.

Oh my gosh! I totally forgot about the moka pot (I think that's what they call them)! Thank you. I have yet to use one but I plan on trying. :>

Tipsy Prophet

15,625 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
Redwing Rogue
Fallen-Pottery-Angel

Oh my gosh! I totally forgot about the moka pot (I think that's what they call them)! Thank you. I have yet to use one but I plan on trying. :>

They're the best! I have to go buy one. My sister took hers when she moved out. I know you can get them at homesense or winners.

Rogue

Fallen-Pottery-Angel
Redwing Rogue
Fallen-Pottery-Angel

They're the best! I have to go buy one. My sister took hers when she moved out. I know you can get them at homesense or winners.
I work at Bed, Bath & Beyond and we sell them too :>
Laili
I'm not a picky coffee person but I hate watered down or bitter coffee.

My family already calls me a picky coffee person because I won't use the Keurig. xd

Rogue

Laili
I have a Bella Single Cup Coffee Maker. I use my own cup of my choosing and makes enough for one. No filters are needed either. I'm the only person in the house that drinks coffee so this was ideal for me.

I'm not a picky coffee person but I hate watered down or bitter coffee. I rotate my coffees as well. At the moment, I am using a store brand (If you are in central NY, you should know Wegmans. They make good stuff.) coffee.

One cup a day. Two sugars, dash of cream. And sometimes I throw a dash of cinnamon in my coffee too.

Today was house cleaning day, and my coffee maker really needs a good cleaning and descaling today.

Oh man. I need to clean my coffee maker so bad. gonk Part of why I've started using my Chemex. I keep meaning to get some of that descaling coffee cleaner.

I have not heard of that name before because I live in the far west but I've heard NY has some good roasters. :>

Tipsy Prophet

15,625 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
Redwing Rogue
Fallen-Pottery-Angel
Redwing Rogue
Fallen-Pottery-Angel

I work at Bed, Bath & Beyond and we sell them too :>

And they come in so many fun colours too. :3

Friendly Bookworm

Redwing Rogue
Laili

Oh man. I need to clean my coffee maker so bad. gonk Part of why I've started using my Chemex. I keep meaning to get some of that descaling coffee cleaner.

I have not heard of that name before because I live in the far west but I've heard NY has some good roasters. :>

Wegmans is a gold mine in food. Wider selection in many things from produce to products. They love keeping a majority of produce local within the New England area. You can see everything in the cases from bakery to fish and see everything get ready to be sold. They have a dining area too with many quick meals you can take home or pick up fresh and hot there from Italian, Chinese, sushi, and many more.

But yeah, their coffee is very good. I grab a tin for $4 and it lasts me two months with one cup a day.
Redwing Rogue

NY has some good roasters, but they come and go quickly too. In the short time I was there, my two favorite roasters closed shop! crying I read an article somewhere that the other coffee shops have to offer something more than convenience because there's too many Starbucks around, so roasting their own quality beans seems to be a selling point....for a while.

I went to Oren's or Coffeed in Queens for my beans. heart

Rogue

CoffeeBalladeer
Redwing Rogue

NY has some good roasters, but they come and go quickly too. In the short time I was there, my two favorite roasters closed shop! crying I read an article somewhere that the other coffee shops have to offer something more than convenience because there's too many Starbucks around, so roasting their own quality beans seems to be a selling point....for a while.

I went to Oren's or Coffeed in Queens for my beans. heart

That is really sad! :< I live in Oregon, and we have a few roasters in town, but not many sadly (at least that I know of). Starbucks are everywhere of course (my husband actually works for them too), but we also have some really rad coffee shops as well. Obviously there is the Stumptown coffee from Portland which is a little bit more well known, but the town I live in also has a small roaster company and also makes excellent coffee. Portland and parts of Salem are great for trying out local coffee shops :3 I'm not one for sweet candy coffee, just regular espresso, which is what you will usually find at these types of coffee shops.
Redwing Rogue

Obviously there is the Stumptown coffee from Portland which is a little bit more well known, but the town I live in also has a small roaster company and also makes excellent coffee.

Stumptown is gaining quite a following in New York, too. It's listed in one of the "best coffee places in New York," even though it's from Portland! It's kind of funny, one of my friends from Portland sent me a Christmas present with a "unique gift from Portland," and it was a bag of Stumptown beans...I guess she didn't know they've stretched all the way to New York, now. whee

I was super happy anyway--their beans are some of the more expensive ones around. sweatdrop I think the charm of Stumptown for New Yorkers is the fact they will prepare it the way you want--Chemex, pourover, aeropress, etc.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff