Welcome to Gaia! ::

9,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Contributor 150
Gluttonous Gardeners
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The creators of Gluttony 101 established a thread devoted to sharing tips and pictures of vegetable and fruit gardens/plants.

What to expect from your upper division course
(*)Unlike Gluttony 101, this thread is for people who have a bit more time and patience on their hands such as those who grow a vegetable garden in their back yards or even have a little herb garden on their kitchen counter.

(*)We encourage showing images of your garden and produce, along with maybe a back story of how and why you decided to grow delicious things.

(*)We DEFINITELY encourage images and recipes that include dishes you have made with your produce!

RULES
a. Keep your garden posts vegetable/fruit/herb related. Flowers are lovely, but unless they're edible, don't post them.
b. Be nice. Some people might not understand why we put so much effort into a vegetable garden. To those who don't: don't bash us, and to those who encounter someone like that, don't bash them. We're going to get both points across, here. This is all in good fun.
c. We aren't going to limit you all to just produce. If you have animals such as chickens, cows, etc, you can share pictures of them, your eggs, milk, etc too!

New post with tips for the space-restricted!

9,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Contributor 150
The benefits of growing your own food

Laili
I find that growing your own plants saves money. A package of seeds is about $2-3. And yet you would have enough to feed yourself for quite a while when they get into season. Also, the berries can be frozen and saved to be put in after season for pies and desserts.

Duo-chan_in_wonderland
So many good reasons to have your own garden, you can blanch and freeze the veggies to enjoy months after youve harvested them. You can grow a winter squash plant, and those last for months with proper storage. Plus control over what you eat, and its much more satisfying (I think) to eat something youve grown. Its like the saying "Sometimes the most satifying meal is one youve made yourself" Only youve taken that one step further by growing the produce too.

...you can have your own pickled peppers or pickles. Also, if youve got berries theres making your own jams/preserves. You can dry herbs, and use them in the winter (if you cant bring them inside) And, while this only works for heirloom things.. I think... You can preserve your own seeds and start your garden next year from your current one.

Feel free to contribute to this list. It will be a giant amalgamation of everyone's thoughts on the subject.

9,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Contributor 150
Choice Recipes from our Thread-visitors

Affiliates & Links

User Image

Link to Us
[url=http://tinyurl.com/3nuvawl][img]http://i56.tinypic.com/14b1h6q.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://tinyurl.com/3nuvawl][img]http://i56.tinypic.com/2u9o3go.jpg[/img][/url]

9,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Contributor 150
Featured Garden of the Week Whenever I Feel Like Updating

This garden is my family's. We have it in our back yard.

We have a wide variety of things, including corn, tomatoes (mainly celebrity, better boy, etc), zucchini, cucumbers, bell peppers, okra, lettuce, etc.)

We also have two little apple trees.
(Pardon the dying grass. We are in the middle of an exceptional drought)

I also have a collection of "gourmet" (lol) tomatoes in pots in the front porch.

Ananas Noire
Cherokee Purple
Mr. Stripey
Wapsipinicon Peach
Snowberry Cherry & White Currant

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
~SUBSCRIBED!!~ heart

9,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Contributor 150
Sai-kun
~SUBSCRIBED!!~ heart
*luffs on*

I'll post some pictures of the garden and harvest soon. I hope there are people out there who at least have a little herb garden. xD;

Otherwise I'd feel like a huge dork.

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Taki Okuda
Sai-kun
~SUBSCRIBED!!~ heart
*luffs on*

I'll post some pictures of the garden and harvest soon. I hope there are people out there who at least have a little herb garden. xD;

Otherwise I'd feel like a huge dork.

I know there are a few people in this forum with home gardens or at least would like to talk about growing their own food/sustainability/organic/local what not.

9,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Contributor 150
Hopefully word will spread, much like my zucchinis.

Today I will start off with pictures of the apple tree.
Apple Tree 1
Apple Tree 2
Apple Tree 3

<3 Apples.

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Taki Okuda
Hopefully word will spread, much like my zucchinis.

Today I will start off with pictures of the apple tree.
Apple Tree 1
Apple Tree 2
Apple Tree 3

<3 Apples.

There's no stopping the zucchinis. You will rue the day you planted them.

Also, those are AMAZING looking apples...I dont think we could coax anything like that out of our ground.

9,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Contributor 150
I've never seen our apples grow that big before. Usually they're pecked to high hell by birds before we can get to them.

And seeing as how I love zucchini, I don't think I'll have a problem. Zucchini bread and zucchini cookies for all!

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
What variety of apples are those?

And you must share your zucchini recipes because I have grown quite tired of eating them as a vegetable...

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Here is my rinky dink container garden:
Backyard garden

I'm limited on usable space, but container gardening is a great way to start getting your hands dirty (no pun intended) with including homegrown, local food into your diet.
Woo, I'll subscribe. I have a large garden at my family house, unfortunately my camera is on the fritz so I won't be able to post pictures. But I can tell you we have tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, tons of Sicilian squash (long light green squash), different pumpkins. The plants I'm most excited for are the bitter melon and the arugala, oh and of course figs!

(PS: Sai-kun I clicked your link to your photobucket and my browser said the site had some computer threats on it, just thought I'd let you know)

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Umesono
Woo, I'll subscribe. I have a large garden at my family house, unfortunately my camera is on the fritz so I won't be able to post pictures. But I can tell you we have tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, tons of Sicilian squash (long light green squash), different pumpkins. The plants I'm most excited for are the bitter melon and the arugala, oh and of course figs!

(PS: Sai-kun I clicked your link to your photobucket and my browser said the site had some computer threats on it, just thought I'd let you know)

You can grow figs?! Just how big is your garden and I'm guessing you have a fairly nice growing climate?

(also, a lot of photobucket photos seem to be triggering those virus warnings...It's not just me. I think I'll steer clear of using PB for a while...I'll link to dA instead).
Sai-kun
Umesono

You can grow figs?! Just how big is your garden and I'm guessing you have a fairly nice growing climate?

(also, a lot of photobucket photos seem to be triggering those virus warnings...It's not just me. I think I'll steer clear of using PB for a while...I'll link to dA instead).

I'm actually in Ontario, Canada so while we get a harsh winter, our fig trees are potted we bring them inside during the winter months when they hibernate. We have a couple of them, my dad is kind of crazy for them and since I've been working at a greenhouse this summer I've been enabling his addiction, haha. The garden we have is pretty big, we live outside of the city around the farms so its pretty much country, so we have the space for a nice size garden plot.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff