Welcome to Gaia! ::

9,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Contributor 150
IMPORTANT NEWS REGARDING ZONING

Due to climate changes, gardeners have new options. Click here for updated zoning information.

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
The Chinese Farmer's Calendar for this year says there will be an early spring (more specifically, it said we will have two months worth of April-type weather).
The Calendar's been right in the past, so I'm hoping we'll get a longer growing season this time around!
Hydroponics is something I'd like to try emotion_c8

9,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Contributor 150
Here's an update on my little carrot patch!
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Its almost that time of year again! I'm very far north where I keep my garden, so I wont actually be able to break ground until May. Still, I get excited just thinking about and planning the years garden, looking at seed catalogues, I love gardening~

Does anyone keep things indoors over the winter? I had meant to buy one of those growing lights and keep herbs, or something but I didnt end up getting around to it. I keep green onions in a little glass by the window, so I can continuously eat the tops... but thats about it.

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
Going to start growing strawberries, does anyone have any tips?
I also want to grow some herbs that are at my grocery store, things like mint and rosemary.
I never grow plants, so I do need some basic tips, obviously I know sun, water, dirt & room for roots to spread. I would like some tips to keep the bugs away as I plan on having these inside (not 100% on that though) I don't want bugs in my kitchen.
I'm also going to attempt to grow indoor roses, possible or no? Tulips at least?
This thread makes me think of my childhood.
When I was a kid, my parents gave me and my sister a little piece of their (already small) garden to grow things we like. My sister had strawberries and things like flowers in there, and I had a garden full of herbs. I had parsley, mint, basil, oregano laurel and a few more in my little garden. I just loved the way the fresh herbs tasted in foods. Sadly, we don't grow any herbs any more, and I don't have the time to grow any any more. I also remember growing things like peas in there.

Whenever I get the time/space to grow herbs again, I will. But I probably will never try to grow basil outside again... Had so many bad experience with snails and slugs that didn't go away =/
Do you guys buy seeds regularly or they're able to produce year after year?

Spooky Girl

18,525 Points
  • Scary Sampling 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Haunting Echo 75
yum_tea My budget being limited and food prices being ridiculously high, I'd like to try my hand at growing fruits and/or vegetables this year to save on grocery costs. My soil is...well, to be honest, I'm not so sure it's that great. A layer of sandy dirt covering red clay is what it is. With those conditions and the hot, humid Alabama summers to deal with, are there any plants that a newbie gardener can grow with relatively little cost (beyond time and personal labor)?

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Sweet Peppermint Tea
yum_tea My budget being limited and food prices being ridiculously high, I'd like to try my hand at growing fruits and/or vegetables this year to save on grocery costs. My soil is...well, to be honest, I'm not so sure it's that great. A layer of sandy dirt covering red clay is what it is. With those conditions and the hot, humid Alabama summers to deal with, are there any plants that a newbie gardener can grow with relatively little cost (beyond time and personal labor)?
Don't underestimate that rich red clay you have there. Mix it with the sandy topsoil and add compost or other organic material and you will have an ideal growing medium for almost anything you can think of.

Easy plants to grow: top of the list is cherry tomatoes. I particularly recommend the varieties Sungold, Sweet 100, and Sweet Million, they produce more delicious tomatoes than you will believe. Radishes were unbelievably simple to grow, draw a line in the dirt, sprinkle seeds thickly, water. They like to grow very close together, and you could have radishes within 2 weeks of planting, but do it soon, the ones I've grown did better in the cooler months. Lettuces were as easy as radishes and the method was the same. You might see about finding some warm-weather tolerant varieties, as lettuces often bolt when the weather turns warm. I live in MD, and our heat and humidity are no joke.

The only fruit I can think of which might produce for you this year is strawberries, and if you don't plan on gardening after this year, even planting those would be a waste. Most fruits I know of come from bushes or trees and take years to mature and become productive.
Any gardeners like to suggest things don't grow outwards/really big too much? >_> example: ZUCCHINI. OHGAWD. My mom & I were emotion_jawdrop when they grew the first time around...but we did get a like, i think 1.5 foot long zucchini from it. xD; I made delicious zucchini patties from it.

I'll be planting at my sister's house and she has a small boxy thing. It's probably not anymore than a 3 or 4 foot square that she reserved off of the yard.
I know for a fact tomatoes.
I'm not sure what kind of bigger tomatoes, though. I'll be planting cherry tomatoes since I prefer those.

Also, how well does spinach grow? A friend's mom planted them before, but I'm not sure if upkeep is hard.

Any suggestions are fine! <3 And if starting from seeds, I should probably start now right? >_> I'm in Chicago where I don't think it's supposed to be getting any colder than the horrible 80 in March we've been getting everyday.

&I'm with oTrissa...I wanna grow strawberries; the plants come back every year at my mom's, but they don't actually grow to eating size at all.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
xAliceJae
Any gardeners like to suggest things don't grow outwards/really big too much? >_> example: ZUCCHINI. OHGAWD. My mom & I were emotion_jawdrop when they grew the first time around...but we did get a like, i think 1.5 foot long zucchini from it. xD; I made delicious zucchini patties from it.

I'll be planting at my sister's house and she has a small boxy thing. It's probably not anymore than a 3 or 4 foot square that she reserved off of the yard.
I know for a fact tomatoes.
I'm not sure what kind of bigger tomatoes, though. I'll be planting cherry tomatoes since I prefer those.

Also, how well does spinach grow? A friend's mom planted them before, but I'm not sure if upkeep is hard.

Any suggestions are fine! <3 And if starting from seeds, I should probably start now right? >_> I'm in Chicago where I don't think it's supposed to be getting any colder than the horrible 80 in March we've been getting everyday.

&I'm with oTrissa...I wanna grow strawberries; the plants come back every year at my mom's, but they don't actually grow to eating size at all.
80 in Chicago?!?!? gonk

Spinach is another cool-season crop in my experience. Plant it soon, and you can plant another crop in its place in a few months.

Do the strawberries not turn red at all or are they just small? If they were a large-fruited variety when first planted they might have hybridized with the small, flavorless wild strawberries that grow over large parts of the US. In that case, the only solution is to yank them all out and start fresh with new plants. Make sure to weed out any wild strawberries you find on the lawn nearby.

You should look into square foot gardening; it will give you a lot of ideas and help you plan efficiently.
Ratttking
80 in Chicago?!?!? gonk

Spinach is another cool-season crop in my experience. Plant it soon, and you can plant another crop in its place in a few months.

Do the strawberries not turn red at all or are they just small? If they were a large-fruited variety when first planted they might have hybridized with the small, flavorless wild strawberries that grow over large parts of the US. In that case, the only solution is to yank them all out and start fresh with new plants. Make sure to weed out any wild strawberries you find on the lawn nearby.

You should look into square foot gardening; it will give you a lot of ideas and help you plan efficiently.

YES. gonk
DUDE. IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE 85 HERE TOMORROW. According to my teacher, we have shattered 3 record highs, most of them being in the 50's or so. Records that were made in the last 10 years. What makes it worse - my college has no air conditioning and the windows are unable to be opened. D:

No, the berries are just small. Though, I think the ones at my sister never had berries at all? o___O; When I smoosh the ones at my mom's house, they smell delicious. <_<
I'll yank those out when I get the chance then.

&thank you for the link! : D

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
xAliceJae
Ratttking
80 in Chicago?!?!? gonk

YES. gonk
DUDE. IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE 85 HERE TOMORROW. According to my teacher, we have shattered 3 record highs, most of them being in the 50's or so. Records that were made in the last 10 years. What makes it worse - my college has no air conditioning and the windows are unable to be opened. D:

No, the berries are just small. Though, I think the ones at my sister never had berries at all? o___O; When I smoosh the ones at my mom's house, they smell delicious. <_<
I'll yank those out when I get the chance then.

&thank you for the link! : D
Oh geez. You have my sympathies.

There is also the possibility that they may be Alpine strawberries, which are quite small compared to what we are used to in supermarkets. The Alpine ones I grew were about an inch long and rather pointy, and were some of the most flavorful berries I've had.

The bed will probably do better if you lift the plants (and either discard or- re-plant them)- and till and amend the soil, since it sounds like a long time since it was last dug up or cultivated.
Ratttking
Oh geez. You have my sympathies.

There is also the possibility that they may be Alpine strawberries, which are quite small compared to what we are used to in supermarkets. The Alpine ones I grew were about an inch long and rather pointy, and were some of the most flavorful berries I've had.

The bed will probably do better if you lift the plants (and either discard or- re-plant them)- and till and amend the soil, since it sounds like a long time since it was last dug up or cultivated.

I looked up "alpine strawberries"...
is this about how big they'll typically get?
because that's how big the ones at my house would get. They turn red, but are just tiny. >_> If I want to grow the typical strawberries that you would see in supermarkets (my nephew would go nuts if I did! : D ), do you happen to know what kind those are?

I'll probably be ripping out whatever's in that bed and redoing the soil. It's a new box, but err, my sister's husband isn't that good of a gardener. My mom's much better & I'll ask her to help me with that part. <3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff