Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Explorer

I add a tablespoon of vinegar to the water when I boil the noodles. I find it enhances the flavor, but I've never meet anyone else who does it this way, or does anything else to their mac and cheese that's outside of the standard preparation directions. Do you?

Hallowed Worshipper

8,700 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Adain-chan
I add a tablespoon of vinegar to the water when I boil the noodles. I find it enhances the flavor, but I've never meet anyone else who does it this way, or does anything else to their mac and cheese that's outside of the standard preparation directions. Do you?

Very interesting! I'll have to try that with some Red Wine Vinegar! cheese_whine Wine and Cheese go good so I bet it would be excellent! Well I like to put a dash of Garlic salt and some Chili powder to give it a lil kick. I'll also add real hunks of cheese like colby jack or whatever I have available. ^_^ Of course cheddar goes good but Mac and cheese might go good with some pepper jack or something. I like to change it up razz

Dapper Ladykiller

Uh, I'll try it sometime.

You do homemade mac 'n' cheese or out of box?

Dapper Explorer

Tonaw
Adain-chan

Very interesting! I'll have to try that with some Red Wine Vinegar! cheese_whine Wine and Cheese go good so I bet it would be excellent! Well I like to put a dash of Garlic salt and some Chili powder to give it a lil kick. I'll also add real hunks of cheese like colby jack or whatever I have available. ^_^ Of course cheddar goes good but Mac and cheese might go good with some pepper jack or something. I like to change it up razz
Red Wine Vinegar is the kind that I use. And the garlic salt idea sounds pretty tasty. I also like the idea of trying it with pepper jack since that's my favorite kind of cheese.

@Cuppolove: Out of the box usually, because I'm lazy, but I do little extra things to make it taste better like use real butter and whole milk and that trick I mentioned about the vinegar.
I've never done it, but that is interesting. I think I'll try it next time.

Dapper Explorer

You should! It is quite tasty.
I like to use gouda cheese for my mac and cheese instead of the normal cheese.
And I like to add cubes of canned ham.

Dapper Explorer

I'm not a big fan of canned ham, but gouda cheese sounds amazing.

Partying Codger

Does it just enhance the pasta part? I make mac n' cheese with a nutritional yeast sauce so it's not actually mac n' "cheese" but it tastes and has the consistency of velveta type boxed varieties. I am lactose intolerant and it's a good workaround.
I put seasoned salt on my Mac and cheese.

Eloquent Streaker

Never tried it, and probably never will.

I generally just use half-and-half instead of milk- it makes the cheese sauce creamier. If I have it available, I also add this one particular brand of hot sauce to give it some extra flavor.
when i make kraft mac and cheese i do 1 1/2 times the butterand omit the milk altogether. it tastes better.

Dapper Explorer

Melodic Meaghanne
when i make kraft mac and cheese i do 1 1/2 times the butterand omit the milk altogether. it tastes better.
I've never tried that, it could be interesting. I'll have to do that next time.

@Jipsey: It gets into the pasta and enhances the flavor. I'm not sure quite how to describe it, but I guess it sort of tastes richer and tangier.
Adain-chan
Melodic Meaghanne

@Jipsey: It gets into the pasta and enhances the flavor. I'm not sure quite how to describe it, but I guess it sort of tastes richer and tangier.
yea, the butter melts and gives enough liquid to disolve the "cheese" without the milk making it runny. yumm i think im gonna make some right now.

Dapper Explorer

Melodic Meaghanne
Adain-chan
Melodic Meaghanne

yea, the butter melts and gives enough liquid to disolve the "cheese" without the milk making it runny. yumm i think im gonna make some right now.
I've never really experienced the milk making it runny, but I imagine it would be richer with more butter.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff