Welcome to Gaia! ::

Steadfast Noob

2,225 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Waffles! 25
  • Timid 100
i wanted to get some cheap pizzas. i found some for $1 each but the trans fats were something like 3 per pizza, so i didn't buy it. that happened a few years ago.

so the other day i was eating microwave popcorn. it was really tasty. i decided to look at the nutritional info and it says each bag has 3 servings in it and each serving has 4.5 trans fats. that's 13.5 trans fats per bag! burning_eyes i dont know if i should finish off the rest of the box (i have 5 bags of popcorn left in it) or just get rid of it. what would u do? r u worried about trans fats or do u not care? im a little bit of a hippie and dont believe we need them and i try to avoid them as much as possible. i think we should have 0 trans fats in our diet and so 13.5 sounds like a lot to me but i dont know if i really should be as worried as i am. im not fat or anything. im a bit on the skinny side so i can sorta eat whatever i want if i wanted to

Spooky Girl

18,525 Points
  • Scary Sampling 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Haunting Echo 75
yum_tea I don't cut them out completely, but I do limit how much of those fatty foods I take in.
I try to get products as healthy as possible for my budget. Which is usually limiting the amount of unhealthy things I eat. Eating some trans fat is not that bad to me, as long as not every day you eat meals loaded with those fats.
I look at the label and if its there I won't eat it.

Green Smoker

I don't buy anything that has shortening, hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oil in it. It WILL contain trans fats even if the label says something like " 0 grams trans fat" because food companies only need to list trans fat content if the food contains 0.5 grams or more per serving. And companies will list small serving sizes on the package to make you think you're not going to be eating it at all. Shady as hell but the FDA allows it. User Image
caro_san
I look at the label and if its there I won't eat it.

i do the same! actually i don't even want to eat it if I find out there is trans fat. i use to go to baja fresh all the time and order the steak quesadilla. loved it, until i found out there was trans fat, now i can't even swallow it!

Caring Vet

21,250 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
Girl scout cookies have trans fat in them, but I eat them anyway because they're so good. I don't buy several boxes since they're expensive, but I do buy 1-2 boxes whenever girl scout cookies are being sold. They're the only things that I will that contain trans fat, since apparently they don't make their cookies without trans fat. Anything else with trans fat, I won't eat.

Anxious Bookworm

Hahaha. Nope. I'll eat whatever I feel like; Trans Fat, MSG, or whatever. However, I do try to limit myself.

Steadfast Noob

2,225 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Waffles! 25
  • Timid 100
Light Soprano
Girl scout cookies have trans fat in them, but I eat them anyway because they're so good. I don't buy several boxes since they're expensive, but I do buy 1-2 boxes whenever girl scout cookies are being sold. They're the only things that I will that contain trans fat, since apparently they don't make their cookies without trans fat. Anything else with trans fat, I won't eat.
i did not know this. i used to always get the thin mints. i guess lucky for me i haven't had contact with any girlscouts in years

Yes, I stop eating whatever it is if I find it has trans fats. I give whatever it was to my mother or family members that aren't worried about these things. I won't eat something that has more than 2g saturated fat, hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils, high-fructose corn syrup or corn syrup solids, and triglycerides.

Evolved Hunter

Sometimes, yeah. It's usually certain additives in general, such as Sodium Nitrate or Nitrite, Yellow 5, Monosodium Glutamate, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Sodium Benzoate (more lenient about this one), and in the case of popcorn, I think it's called Dicetyl? It's the artificial butter flavor.

For popcorn, I usually make it on the stove top instead of using microwave popcorn. Can season it however I want, and I'm lucky enough to have a pan which can handle butter without burning it.

Shirtless Noob

5,500 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I jsut limit myself but not completely cut down on them.

Steadfast Noob

2,225 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Waffles! 25
  • Timid 100
Finnigrind

Yes, I stop eating whatever it is if I find it has trans fats. I give whatever it was to my mother or family members that aren't worried about these things. I won't eat something that has more than 2g saturated fat, hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils, high-fructose corn syrup or corn syrup solids, and triglycerides.

i have given away a lot of bad food in the past too. xd some poeple dont care

Shirtless Cutesmasher

10,450 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Angelic Alliance 100
Nope! I keep 'em. I just don't eat as much. It's totally OK to have some pizza that has trans fats in it..
...Just not the whole pie! 3nodding

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
No. I just don't eat as MUCH of those foods as I would others.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff