Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aekea Explorer

12,950 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Noble Shade 100
It's getting close to that time of year and I was wondering if there were any fellow diabetics who have some good baking recipes they'd be willing to share. I'm looking around myself and I found some good ones, but I'd like to see if there were other recipes to try. Also is Splenda a good sugar substitute?

Sugary Elder

splenda is a good sugar substitute depending on who you talk to. some people don't like the possible negative side effects that come with it and other people don't seem to mind. (its almost like how some people swear by organic foods but other people don't mind.)

my grandmother is diabetic but she uses organic honey, stevia or other natural sweeteners and watches her blood sugar closely. but i have a cousin who is diabetic who uses splenda and has no issues. honestly, it's your own personal preference.

id suggest doing some research on the pros and cons of splenda and make a choice for yourself because at the end of the day, what you decide is best for you is what's the most important.

as far as baking recipes go... im not much of a baker (as far as cakes and cookies go) but if you buy a box of sugar free cake mix you can use one can of your preferred diet soda instead of the egg, water, and oil and make a light and fluffy soda pop cake or muffins.

i like angelfood + sprite
and chocolate + dr pepper

its so simple. just box + one can of soda. nothing else.

basic recipe here
4laugh

Aekea Explorer

12,950 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Star x Apple~
splenda is a good sugar substitute depending on who you talk to. some people don't like the possible negative side effects that come with it and other people don't seem to mind. (its almost like how some people swear by organic foods but other people don't mind.)

my grandmother is diabetic but she uses organic honey, stevia or other natural sweeteners and watches her blood sugar closely. but i have a cousin who is diabetic who uses splenda and has no issues. honestly, it's your own personal preference.

id suggest doing some research on the pros and cons of splenda and make a choice for yourself because at the end of the day, what you decide is best for you is what's the most important.

as far as baking recipes go... im not much of a baker (as far as cakes and cookies go) but if you buy a box of sugar free cake mix you can use one can of your preferred diet soda instead of the egg, water, and oil and make a light and fluffy soda pop cake or muffins.

4laugh

Whoa, I didn't know you could do that with soda.

Sugary Elder

Captain Dory
Star x Apple~

4laugh

yep! i edited so it includes a link to the basic recipe. just make sure you get a sugar free cake mix but im sure you already pay attention to stuff like that since youre diabetic. its a fun little life hack recipe that i love.

not for everyone though, because i know some people choose not to use artifical sweeters and diet soda is full of them.

if you decide to try it pls update me on what you mixed and how you liked it!!

Aekea Explorer

12,950 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Star x Apple~
Captain Dory
Star x Apple~

4laugh

yep! i edited so it includes a link to the basic recipe. just make sure you get a sugar free cake mix but im sure you already pay attention to stuff like that since youre diabetic. its a fun little life hack recipe that i love.

not for everyone though, because i know some people choose not to use artifical sweeters and diet soda is full of them.

if you decide to try it pls update me on what you mixed and how you liked it!!

Thanks, I'll have to give it a try.
I hear that several types of foods can lower blood sugar, such as ginger and cinnamon. Maybe try making something with those types of foods? I think I used webmd.com as the source for the information on ginger, but I didn't necessarily check cinnamon on there. You might be able to do a little research about blood sugar lowering foods that taste good in baked goods.

Aekea Explorer

12,950 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Jaenie
I hear that several types of foods can lower blood sugar, such as ginger and cinnamon. Maybe try making something with those types of foods? I think I used webmd.com as the source for the information on ginger, but I didn't necessarily check cinnamon on there. You might be able to do a little research about blood sugar lowering foods that taste good in baked goods.

The thing is, even when adding almonds (something that can help keep bloodsugar in check) I still have to account for the other ingredients.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff