Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lazy Krampus

12,300 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
Guardian Cross

Yeah the insides did feel pretty rough to me. I might need to go find some sand paper BUT I WANT TO SCRAMBLE EGGS IN THEM screaming

I would say that you are opening a cast iron ware museum but you would probably say if its usable there's no point putting it in a museum where it wastes away.

//has never seen an apple peeler before
. A .

Ha ha ha, am I really that transparent?

Dangerous Creature

Bob Dobbs
Guardian Cross

Yeah the insides did feel pretty rough to me. I might need to go find some sand paper BUT I WANT TO SCRAMBLE EGGS IN THEM screaming

I would say that you are opening a cast iron ware museum but you would probably say if its usable there's no point putting it in a museum where it wastes away.

. A .

Quite so. But your enthusiasm is very infectious.

Lazy Krampus

12,300 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
Guardian Cross
Bob Dobbs
Guardian Cross

. A .

Thank you, I just have a passion for this I guess.
My cooking is improving as well.

I do agree this is heavy stuff, especially when I have to take all of it out of the oven to make room for cooking but the heat is good for it and I . . . . have nowhere else to put it. sweatdrop

Dangerous Creature

Bob Dobbs
Guardian Cross
Bob Dobbs
Guardian Cross

. A .

Thank you, I just have a passion for this I guess.
My cooking is improving as well.

I do agree this is heavy stuff, especially when I have to take all of it out of the oven to make room for cooking but the heat is good for it and I . . . . have nowhere else to put it. sweatdrop

I mentioned cast iron stuff to my mum and she immediately launched into this whole rant about her teflon pans.
I'm not sure if its going to do anything about my abysmal cooking skills but we'll have to see.

I can just lift off the 8, anything bigger than that and I have trouble. Not sure where we're going to store it, probably on the shelf. Speaking of ovens... the oven door seems broken today. gonk

Lazy Krampus

12,300 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
Guardian Cross

I mentioned cast iron stuff to my mum and she immediately launched into this whole rant about her teflon pans.
I'm not sure if its going to do anything about my abysmal cooking skills but we'll have to see.

I can just lift off the 8, anything bigger than that and I have trouble. Not sure where we're going to store it, probably on the shelf. Speaking of ovens... the oven door seems broken today. gonk

My mother still loves her Teflon as well. Her choice ,but using chipped or warped pans doesn't seem convenient. And don't feel bad about your cooking skills, I still can't properly manage the sectioned 8 piece cornbread pan. It's awkward, hard to clean, I can't get it smooth, and whoever designed it was the most evil SOB you can imagine.

You learn as you go, and you get to eat the mistakes, win!

I'm not skilled in oven doors but is is a missing screw or the hinge cracked?

Dangerous Creature

Bob Dobbs
Guardian Cross

My mother still loves her Teflon as well. Her choice ,but using chipped or warped pans doesn't seem convenient. And don't feel bad about your cooking skills, I still can't properly manage the sectioned 8 piece cornbread pan. It's awkward, hard to clean, I can't get it smooth, and whoever designed it was the most evil SOB you can imagine.

You learn as you go, and you get to eat the mistakes, win!

I'm not skilled in oven doors but is is a missing screw or the hinge cracked?

My mother has been wanting to throw out her teflons for a long time, but didn't get the opportunity to do so because she didn't have a new pan or anything. After I told her about your thread and all that she decided to just hunt down a cast iron. The corn bread pan sounds like a killer to clean...

I'm going to end up really fat. emotion_omnomnom It can't be as worse as when my sister tried to fry rice, hahaha.

I have no idea, its probably the hinge. It gets stuck for some reason. The gas top stove has been around for more than twenty years, actually. I'm not surprised if the oven door's broken.

Lazy Krampus

12,300 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
Guardian Cross

My mother has been wanting to throw out her teflons for a long time, but didn't get the opportunity to do so because she didn't have a new pan or anything. After I told her about your thread and all that she decided to just hunt down a cast iron. The corn bread pan sounds like a killer to clean...

I'm going to end up really fat. emotion_omnomnom It can't be as worse as when my sister tried to fry rice, hahaha.

I have no idea, its probably the hinge. It gets stuck for some reason. The gas top stove has been around for more than twenty years, actually. I'm not surprised if the oven door's broken.

OH, in that case you should check out Craigs list in your area, Flea markets, yard sales, or Ebay.

The #10 I posted was $7 at a flea market, and it was a Wagner. You can get some really good deals on quality stuff since most people can't be bothered to learn how to use it.

In the cast iron group I am in on Facebook, I've heard stories about people buying a cast iron pan and it being a Griswold. Those are very collectable, as well as usable.

I tried to fry rice once, didn't go over so well. Still tasted good but it wasn't anything like you'd get from a decent chinese food place.

Dangerous Creature

Bob Dobbs
Guardian Cross

OH, in that case you should check out Craigs list in your area, Flea markets, yard sales, or Ebay.

The #10 I posted was $7 at a flea market, and it was a Wagner. You can get some really good deals on quality stuff since most people can't be bothered to learn how to use it.

In the cast iron group I am in on Facebook, I've heard stories about people buying a cast iron pan and it being a Griswold. Those are very collectable, as well as usable.

I tried to fry rice once, didn't go over so well. Still tasted good but it wasn't anything like you'd get from a decent chinese food place.

It has never occured to me to check craigs list. I've been to many flea markets and yard sales, but the trend here for flea markets and sales are to sell blogshop clothes, make up, handphone accessories and those things that you really don't need. I really want to attend a flea where you can really dig up treasures, but unfortunately - none. I did some internet searching and found a few places possible selling cast iron pans in the country, though. They don't have a lot of choices available, but I shall see what happens with the one I have before ending up wasting a pan's life needlessly.

It is true that when most people don't know how to utilize something, they'll really just sell it off for cheap. They probably think pans are just a lump of metal. In a way pans are probably like knives. You just have a pan or a knife that you will always use and feel uncomfortable when you're using another. Now if I can find a fountain pen for cheap...

I'm still new to the whole cast iron world, so I have nearly no idea which is good, or bad.

We usually use a teflon to fry rice (we're chinese), and the best pans to use is actually an iron wok. You actually have to season them the same way you season cast iron skillets and etc., because it will impart a (locals call it) wok hei (镬氣) taste to the food, which is the signature slightly charred taste, but it doesn't mean the food is burnt. Fried rice is actually the most basic beginner and also the most difficult food to master, because it can turn out lackluster a great load of times. I've seen chefs just tossing in rice and giving it two rounds in under a minute and its ready to be dished. Key is to use cold rice / yesterday's rice, where you just keep the excess rice in a fridge and when you want to fry it just take it out.

I know my sister's fried rice was as hard as raw grains.
//too excited

Lazy Krampus

12,300 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
My Christmas presents to myself came in!

User Image

User Image
This one is now being de-rusted with some vinegar.

Fashionable Explorer

9,750 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
yum_tea You can never go wrong with a good cast iron skillet. I love using cast iron, it just makes food taste better, I recently found out I could put my new cast iron dutch oven in the over!!! YAY!!! So I made this delicious ham, cheese and noodle casserole bake for dinner last night, omg, it was soooo goood!!! It's unfortunate that there's no leftovers but its a great way to use the christmas ham leftovers without getting too bored, add in thinly sliced potatoes to stretch it out some more too yum_tea

Lazy Krampus

12,300 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
amakin04
yum_tea You can never go wrong with a good cast iron skillet. I love using cast iron, it just makes food taste better, I recently found out I could put my new cast iron dutch oven in the over!!! YAY!!! So I made this delicious ham, cheese and noodle casserole bake for dinner last night, omg, it was soooo goood!!! It's unfortunate that there's no leftovers but its a great way to use the christmas ham leftovers without getting too bored, add in thinly sliced potatoes to stretch it out some more too yum_tea

I'm looking into a Dutch Oven. I want to make bread in it. I haven't had fresh bread in aaaaages.

What kind is yours?

Fashionable Explorer

9,750 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
Bob Dobbs
amakin04

I'm looking into a Dutch Oven. I want to make bread in it. I haven't had fresh bread in aaaaages.

What kind is yours?

emotion_kirakira I'm not sure but its one that my grandmother got at an old country store way out where my farm is. Lol. I know I could use this over a campfire, in the oven and over a fireplace, so look for one that can do all of these things too!!! You won't regret it. Hmmm, fresh bread eh? That sounds super heavenly, I might make some tonight for the chili!!! Thanks!!!~ emotion_kirakira

Lazy Krampus

12,300 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
amakin04
Bob Dobbs
amakin04

What kind is yours?

emotion_kirakira I'm not sure but its one that my grandmother got at an old country store way out where my farm is. Lol. I know I could use this over a campfire, in the oven and over a fireplace, so look for one that can do all of these things too!!! You won't regret it. Hmmm, fresh bread eh? That sounds super heavenly, I might make some tonight for the chili!!! Thanks!!!~ emotion_kirakira

Chili and fresh bread? Now I'm just jealous of you.

That really sounds delicious.

Fashionable Explorer

9,750 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
Bob Dobbs
amakin04
Bob Dobbs
amakin04

What kind is yours?

Chili and fresh bread? Now I'm just jealous of you.

That really sounds delicious.

yum_bacon Hee hee hee, oh I hope so, this spread will be for the in-laws staying with us. The mother doesn't think I feed my hubby, we'll see about that, hope she can stomach spicy habenero chili. Yum!!! I wonder if poppy seed bread or wheat bread would be good for this chili recipe though, never tried to bake homemade bread on my own. I'll have to ask my mother, lol. OH!!! Best dish to make in a dutch oven is deep dished casseroles and pies!!! Gotta try it!!! yum_bacon

Lazy Krampus

12,300 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
amakin04

yum_bacon Hee hee hee, oh I hope so, this spread will be for the in-laws staying with us. The mother doesn't think I feed my hubby, we'll see about that, hope she can stomach spicy habenero chili. Yum!!! I wonder if poppy seed bread or wheat bread would be good for this chili recipe though, never tried to bake homemade bread on my own. I'll have to ask my mother, lol. OH!!! Best dish to make in a dutch oven is deep dished casseroles and pies!!! Gotta try it!!! yum_bacon

User Image

Someone from the cast Iron group I am in on FB posted this a while ago. Been dreaming of it ever since.

And what bread do you think would go better with your Chili, The poppy seed or the wheat? If you ever want to exchange recipes let me know.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff