Welcome to Gaia! ::

smile Love cast iron cookware....all of my pans and pots are blue. I usually like to cook skillets, pastas, fried fish, grilled chicken breasts, steamed lobster meat and crab, and many other things. I like to use my 12" skillet pan for skillets, chicken, and pastas....and my dutch oven for strictly seafood and to make Bahamian chicken souse. I take care of them by washing them in hot water, drying them completely with a dried washcloth, then lettin' them sit out for awhile to air dry....I clean ALL of my pots and pans the same way....there's NO RUSTING.

Lazy Krampus

12,300 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
I just learned that using ketchup can remove rust from cast iron pans. Probably because of the vinegar in it. Speaking of vinegar, here is an update on the pan I ordered. A before and after of a vinegar soak overnight in an old storage bin.

Before vinegar soak

After vinegar soak
I got a cast iron pan for my wedding, but I didn't grow up with one so I'm a bit at a loss on what to use it for. It says it comes pre-seasoned. I tried a bread recipe I found on the internet on it once and made a complete mess. I hope it didn't ruin the seasoning too bad. The last thing I made was german pancakes, which turned out much better. But those are the only two things I've tried. I'd love to learn how to use it more. Our only other cast iron is an aebleskiver pan. Kind of a uni-use there, but it's traditional and fun. We've definitely used that one much more often (like 3-4 times a year sweatdrop )

So what do you do to cook with them? (besides finding random recipes online like I do)

Lazy Krampus

12,300 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
hapahaole
I got a cast iron pan for my wedding, but I didn't grow up with one so I'm a bit at a loss on what to use it for. It says it comes pre-seasoned. I tried a bread recipe I found on the internet on it once and made a complete mess. I hope it didn't ruin the seasoning too bad. The last thing I made was german pancakes, which turned out much better. But those are the only two things I've tried. I'd love to learn how to use it more. Our only other cast iron is an aebleskiver pan. Kind of a uni-use there, but it's traditional and fun. We've definitely used that one much more often (like 3-4 times a year sweatdrop )

So what do you do to cook with them? (besides finding random recipes online like I do)

When I cook with mine or make cornbread I take a paper towel and some butter.(You can use oil or Crisco if you like) Then I grease the pan's inside and take the excess off with the paper towel to just get a thin layer. It seems to help.

Clean up is just rinsing it thoroughly with water. A lot of people caution against using soap but I think once in a while is ok. Soap doesn't contain lye anymore and it won't strip the pan.

You don't have to worry about ruining the seasonings, cast iron pans can take abuse as long as you aren't putting it in the dishwasher or you aren't dropping them to the ground they can take it. Even if a cast iron pan is completely rusty, it can still be restored to a usable black pan.
(I say this because my grandmother threw hers out because it was rusty, I was very sad as it could have stayed in the family. Old pans are massively better to cook on)

Right now I'm re-seasoning the pan above after it's vinegar soak. It's still a deep brown but it takes a bit to get that lovely black coating. You can cheat with Flaxseed oil as it makes a quicker seasoning but I prefer the slow route. I cooked on it for the first time last night. The hamburger and bacon really helped the color to darken significantly. I can't get a grill like char on food like that on Teflon.

(My family eats beef, I don't)

Lazy Krampus

12,300 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
Made home made Cinnabons today.

User Image
Pot. Slow cooked stew.

Lazy Krampus

12,300 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
So I bought yet another new cast iron pan. I've been wanting one of these for a while and I finally found one. It's still a mess and in the process of a lye soak but I'm sure it'll come out looking like new.

You can see the gunk and leftover seasoning but that will come off.

User Image

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

aahhhh cast iron <3 <3

I don't have any of my own right now, but I have used it once upon a time.

Unfortunately it's just nonstick frying pans over here of varying sizes. Still they do their duty and I can make chili in them and so therefore okay

Lazy Krampus

12,300 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
Slick Southpaw
aahhhh cast iron <3 <3

Unfortunately it's just nonstick frying pans over here of varying sizes. Still they do their duty and I can make chili in them and so therefore okay

Teflon?

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

Bob Dobbs
Slick Southpaw
aahhhh cast iron <3 <3

Teflon?

sweatdrop probably.

Lazy Krampus

12,300 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
Slick Southpaw
Bob Dobbs
Slick Southpaw
aahhhh cast iron <3 <3

Teflon?

sweatdrop probably.

Just be careful with it. Heat it to high, I've read articles about the fumes killing birds.
Don't want anything bad to happen to you.

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

Bob Dobbs
Slick Southpaw
Bob Dobbs
Slick Southpaw
aahhhh cast iron <3 <3

Teflon?

sweatdrop probably.

Just be careful with it. Heat it to high, I've read articles about the fumes killing birds.
Don't want anything bad to happen to you.

D:<

I would hate to be offed by pans in that fashion!

Usually I have the fan running on high because I am not a neat person when it comes to cooking and UGH THAT BURNING SMELL ON THE STOVE :C

Lazy Krampus

12,300 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
Slick Southpaw

D:<

I would hate to be offed by pans in that fashion!

Usually I have the fan running on high because I am not a neat person when it comes to cooking and UGH THAT BURNING SMELL ON THE STOVE :C

I just bought two cans of oven cleaner for $1 each.
Want i should send you one? whee

Grey_Revenant's Husbando

Sparkly Blob

12,900 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Generous 100
  • Party Member 100
I have a cast-iron dutch oven (no, not that kind of d.o.) that I use to make stews when the weather gets cold. I have a flat skillet that I don't use often, and one other smaller pan that I use to make corn bread and fried chicken or fish.

I keep mine clean and oiled with veggie oil so they don't oxidize. I've been looking for one with the grill lines and haven't been able to find any yet.

I've had mine for a long time but I noticed they don't sell them in many places anymore. Last time I found them for sale at a camping store but they weren't the nice heavy-duty ones like I've got.

Lazy Krampus

12,300 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
Miyagichi
I have a cast-iron dutch oven (no, not that kind of d.o.) that I use to make stews when the weather gets cold. I have a flat skillet that I don't use often, and one other smaller pan that I use to make corn bread and fried chicken or fish.

I keep mine clean and oiled with veggie oil so they don't oxidize. I've been looking for one with the grill lines and haven't been able to find any yet.

I've had mine for a long time but I noticed they don't sell them in many places anymore. Last time I found them for sale at a camping store but they weren't the nice heavy-duty ones like I've got.

I want a cast iron oven of my own, I don't have one yet.
I see youtube videos of people makes stews and cakes in those things. I'd love to try.
There is a flea market this weekend so maybe with luck I'll find one that isn't too pricey.

If you have any pictures of the food you cook on your pans, please keep this thread in mind.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff