Welcome to Gaia! ::

Merry Bunny

16,600 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Cheerbringer 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
So we have a rather dinky kitchen at my house, but we are going to at least try to cook a nice Christmas dinner. Currently we are going to have spiral ham, mashed potatoes, and that's about all I've come up with. I'm thinking broccoli as the greens, but I wanted one more side. I was thinking a butternut squash side, but I've never cooked one of them before.

The problem is, our oven is long dead, so we only have a stove, a roaster oven that shouldn't be confused with a normal oven(which we'll be cooking that ham in), and a crockpot.
Any recipes we could use for the squash? Or a suggestion for a different side?

By the way, don't suggest whole or sliced carrots. I can't stand the texture of carrots.

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
Butternut Squash soup. It's one of the best fall/winter soups, imo.

Luminosus's Wife

Sparkly Cutie-Pie

15,350 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
I suggest cooking the butternut squash in the crockpot, if nothing else is destined for that particular cooking vessel. Here's a recipe for roasted butternut squash with brown sugar. Butternut squash soup is also really tasty (and you could cook that the day before and just warm it up) if you don't mind adding in a soup course.

As for other vegetable sides, I'm always a fan of green beans with slivered almonds, and roasted garlic-y brussel sprouts. You could also do a green salad as a side, no cooking involved with that!

Beloved Muse

7,100 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Married 100
  • Noble Shade 100
If you're doing ham already, some kale or collard greens cooked on the stovetop with garlic, a little bit of apple cider vinegar and some dried cranberries would be really nice. It's pretty traditional in the south with ham. And it avoids the problem of having all your sides be really starchy, since butternut squash often feels like that.

Shy Dragon

24,065 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
i think my parents just cook it with butter and a little...i think. as for other sides. maybe sweet potatoes, or stuffing, maybe some fresh fruits, some rolls on the side, or peas lightly seasoned? my husband does this amazing thing with corn where he put them in the microwave with butter slat and pepper. super yummy though probably not the most healthy thing. and whoever is saying butternut squash soup is right i had some once that was incredibly good. im not really fond of it and even i wanted seconds.

7,850 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Tycoon 200
Rooooasted butternut squash (ft. other nice vegetables). Chuck some yams, broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, onions, peppers in there with some olive oil, rosemary, balsamic vinegar, and some S&P, then lob it in the oven at 475 degrees Fahrenheit until they look nice and toasty. It's so good, dude.

Soup's a good idea though. It's so yum and creamy.

Merry Bunny

16,600 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Cheerbringer 100
Thanks for the suggestions.^^
I went with mixed sauteed greens (including kale and collards) with dried cranberries and "balsamic" vinegar, since mom forgot to get apple cider vinegar. Turned out rather tasty, and everyone seemed to like it.

Liberal Sex Symbol

A little late to the party, but pie.

A lot of canned pumpkin these days is actually butternut squash.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff